LegacyGT.com

Solid Up pipe Woes

stanghater

So about 2 months ago I finally got around to installing the crucial uppipe and downpipe that i had sitting in the garage. Then i got a reflash to a stage 2. The car is now faster than my stage 2 wrx and being that it is a wagon, i love it. Heres the problem though, about 1 week after the install, I started to smell exhaust from under the hood. It would only smell for the first 5 minutes or so then go away. I though nothing of it. Then, the smell was crazy bad and then the car sounded like there was a hole in the exhaust. finally got under there and on of the bolts from the exhaust mani to the uppipe was GONE! WTF?! So i got a new one and tightened everything back down. smell was gone, sound was gone. Now, then smell is starting to come back.

Is there anyway to tighten those bolts and have them actually stay? did I make a mistake while doing the install?

what up pipe is it? I had a solid UP on my WRX and never had problems. Maybe a little bit of loc-tight?

The uppipe is Crucial. I was thinking that I need to go get some lock tight. Also, i replaced the exhaust mani to up and up to turbo gaskets with the crucial copper ones

Haha, I don't know why people keep using Crucial gaskets when their are so many threads on how you will almost certainly get an up pipe leak because the gaskets don't withstand the heat. Get OEM gaskets, noise will dissaper along with your exhaust leak that you can smell. Does anyone know why Crucial being a reputable company, can't make quality gaskets for years it seems like now?

I had a similar problem when I put my UP & DP on, but it was the DP bolts at the turbo that got loose and I lost 2. I put new ones on and then retightened them twice after the car was warmed up. Now they seem OK.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

Archived