LegacyGT.com

Careful when visiting a tuner...

But you know, you cannot just plug on power air filter systems without expecting a/f ratios to get a bit out of whack. The results were somewhat impressive off the bat - it gained a lot of zoom on the top end. But the low-end felt a little soft. Steve took a look at the ECU... and thought it looked about the same as a D-Rev RSK. So what to do?

DSCN3914.jpg.ba79b0f80f72febfaab319ac86489260.jpg

DSCN3915.jpg.d8e8d01b1e3e4da2d93e4ffb37a459ac.jpg

There has not been any tuning as of this moment. Literally, everything was prototyped and fitted within a 5 hours span, Ross and Steve of AVOturboworld where pumped about the new Legacy. Steve noted that the engine area has a lot of nice new components that are big improvements from the older cars while he was busy stripping everything down. I was forced to drive the uberforester for today, they will do some dyno runs with the Legacy. Base lines and post tuning dyno sheets should be up in a few days! I think their intention is to have a sport-catted exhaust system done within a couple of weeks as well - it would be sooner, but we are just starting the 10 day golden week vacation, and everybody is closed. Once that is done, AVO will have a plug-n-play stage one for the Legacy ready to go in Japan and in America as well, after some final testing with the new GT there. Cheers, Paul "I was just stopping by for some coffee!" Hansen

Nice! Very cool that you are not hesitating to mod that GT! Can't wait to hear what kind of dyno numbers you get. How many cats does the GT have in Japan model? Do we know what the US model has? Do you plan on doing a full exhaust or just the catbacks for now? I am really hoping that the USDM version doesn't have a cat in the uppipe. That would suck... but I am fully expecting it. Thanks for the pics, please keep us posted.

[quote]"I was just stopping by for some coffee!"[/quote] :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks Paul! So, let me get this straight....they've already started modding your new Legacy and THEN their going to put it on the dyno? Wouldn't you want to get it on the dyno before doing anything to it? Confused in Seattle, -Ian p.s. I just drove a buddies new 2004 S4 Avant this afternoon! :o :o :o Holy smoke is that thing fast! I stalled it twice before getting a hang of the nice crisp clutch. :oops: :lol:

Thanks Paul! Didn't you mention something about the stock airbox being pretty good actually? ;) Will be interesting what a full turbo-back with sports cat, catless up-pipe, and god ECU tune will get from the USDM 2.5 model. :) Zevil, think of it this way, it's an area we can improve then. Let the gutting begin! :cool: (If it's like the FXT, we will have a cat there.)

Wow, great photos Paul. Many tuners Ive talked to on the WRX do not recommend CAI as it offers little / no benefit. Though in Cali there's no point because they are all mostly illegal due to smog laws.

I've got a few minutes, so: First, since it is a plug in piggy back, they are simply planning to unplug the piggy back (or put in a zero'd map) and put on the stock airbox to do the baseline dyno run. The airbox is fairly easy to remove/replace. Since there is nothing else besides the bov, airbox and computer, it is fairly simple to stockify. CAI does have some benefits, but not that much on a non-tuned stock car. It mainly messes with the a/f values, usually leaning it out without other necessary adjustments, which is more of a danger than any benefit. That is why the computer went on so fast, they simply did not want to try the power air filter without it. I would not recommend it either, especially in Cali, unless you are going to reflash the standard ECU or have some sort of aftermarket engine management. However, my butt dyno says that I traded off some softness on the low-end for some more power on the top end, so for marketing reasons, people can say that you gain some hp from it. But I wager a little bit is lost at the low end as well, so it is simply a trade of power more than an overall gain. Plus you need to box it in to keep engine bay heat off of it. What was on there was purely hand-made prototype, I imagine the final product will be much more finished, and with a carbon fibre/aluminium box. AVO is very excited about the USDM GT, actually, they are confident they will have ball-bearing bolt-on turbo solutions for it rather soon, along with everything else. They are not sure that they can improve too much on the efficiency of the stock top mount, but I wager anybody that is really in need of replacing that is going to go with a FMIC at the power levels they will be looking at. The American bumper with it's extra space may actually be better for a FMIC... Cheers, Paul Hansen ps. I *really* was just stopping by for coffee. Steve just asked to borrow my keys, and when I got downstairs...

Thanks for answering a newbie's questions Paul! After rereading your original description I figured out you haven't done any tuning. :oops: I fully admit I'm a complete beginner when it comes to car tuning. I've learned so much (theory anyway) in the last year as part of my "car shopping" but I still feel like I don't know JACK. I'm really excited to drive the new GT and as I mentioned I've got something to compare it to now with my buddy's recent purchase. If the Leg is even close to as fast as the S4 I drove today I'll be a very happy camper. :twisted: :wink: :lol: I know the S4 may be a rung or two up on the feeding chain of sports wagons but I'm hoping it's more like a half rung! :wink: :lol: -Ian

Just got it back. Baseline dyno figures are 235ps - about 230hp - and 32.7kg/m of torque. 232ft/lbs. That is about 11 less hp than my older twin turbo RSK, and about 15 more ft/lbs of torque. In other words, a lot more mid range torque but less high-rpm power. No modified dyno runs - they are not completely happy with the computer in the current setup, and want to go through it some more. Driving it around, it is rather quick sometimes, and other times it feels only a bit quicker. According to them, they had a bit of a drag with a Corvette from about 63mph to 110mph on the expressway - and won. Was dead even up to 90mph, and slowly pulled away from there to the rev-limiter (110ish), at which point the 'Vette would catch up. They think the brakes are better than the 'vette as well. I dunno, I guess that is adequete for now. Some heavy work in stop and go traffic, full throttle runs from some lights, and then pulling over to check resulted in a TMIC that was slightly warm on the turbo side and cold to the touch on the opposite side. It is very efficient. That type of driving resulted in a 7.6km/l average, or a touch under 20mpg for lots of full throttle runs and only short straightaways. That is rather decent, I think, for total disregard of mileage. That is about it for now until golden week vacation period ends and we can get it in for exhaust prototyping and development. Cheers, Paul Hansen

Great post, Paul! This could turn into another post like the God post about the STI. In the mean time, for the nooby, you've got the 2.0 right? So the USDM version may be totally different?

More similar than you would expect, which is why they are prototyping with such energy on mine. The USDM motor will have the same TMIC, intake, and a lot of the other bolt-ons. The biggest difference will be that it is not a twin-scroll turbine, and that it uses the 2.5-litre STi block. The turbo news is good news for AVO, they figure they will have bolt-on turbo solutions for the USDM before they will for the JDM. And they can set up the exhaust and the rest here and finish up the details within a day or two of having their hands on a USDM Legacy. Cheers, Paul Hansen

Paul, can we see a better view of the intake manifold from that side with the shroud off and the IC off (or on). Most shots are of the shroud on which effectively shows NOTHING. BTW, would AVO be interested in making an IC seal for the top of the standard IC so we can do away with that big shroud? Can't imagine it would be the hardest thing to make.

Ask and ye shall recieve - yet do not spread it around the net just yet. Some things I would like to reserve for the audience.

As for the shroud - the AVO guys are already to piss off my cover, so I think something will be in the works. If there is enough interest (and buyers) they will develop *anything*. ;)

But they may be developing it for a larger TMIC...

DSCN3932.jpg.b704b93480c5b0193933d91b0143400e.jpg

Archived