LegacyGT.com

Down-Shifting delay

NewLegGT67

I wanted to know if anyone else has noticed this when downshifting from 5th to 4th gear or from 4th to 3rd gear.

When upshifting threw the gears or cruising in any gear and then accelerating there is no slippage in any gear. Everything is normal.

However, sometimes when I downshift (ie: 4th to 3rd gear) and rev match once in gear (clutch is out) when I hit the accelerator there is a small delay before the gears seems to engage.

Does anyone know if this is just a one of the characteristics of the stock clutch/accelerator (DBW?) or could there be a problem?

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

I rev match 4th to 3rd everyday when commuting to work in traffic and never have that problem. Doesn't sound good. Try keeping your RPMs higher to make sure the power is there...I use the 4th to 3rd downshift so I end up at about 4k in 3rd when I want to pass someone quickly and use the engine to slow back down.

I rev match 4th to 3rd everyday when commuting to work in traffic and never have that problem. Doesn't sound good. Try keeping your RPMs higher to make sure the power is there...I use the 4th to 3rd downshift so I end up at about 4k in 3rd when I want to pass someone quickly and use the engine to slow back down.

Hey,

Thanks for responding.

I think I figured out what the problem was. I've always done this (driving manual since 1992) and for some reason I couldn't figure it out the day I wrote the thread.

When I downshift to 4th and 3rd sometime I wasn't blipping the accelerator. I was probably on the brake too long (rpms too low for the speed) for some reason that particular day and I thought there was a problem. :redface:

Your response about rev matching made me think about it.

Heel/Toe Downshifting = FTW :p

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Archived