LegacyGT.com

Subaru no longer going to be Boxer and AWD only???!!!

chenc544

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well at least the Justy gets 60mpg+! Thats better than anything offered here now adays even the Prius. I'm all for bringing back barebones cars since those in the end can be the most fun. Ofcourse now they have the added weight due to emissions/safety regulations. Personally I'd keep something like the Legacy for long cruises or bad weather and use something like the Justy for dry weather commutes. Some people like to stay "within" the brand when they have multiple vehicles in their garage especially they like their dealer and the reliability.

Well at least the Justy gets 60mpg+! Thats better than anything offered here now adays even the Prius. I'm all for bringing back barebones cars since those in the end can be the most fun. Ofcourse now they have the added weight due to emissions/safety regulations. Personally I'd keep something like the Legacy for long cruises or bad weather and use something like the Justy for dry weather commutes. Some people like to stay "within" the brand when they have multiple vehicles in their garage especially they like their dealer and the reliability.

I hope you know that UK uses Imperial Galon not US Galon.

Krzys

I think that a 2.2L Impreza could sell.

When we last saw the 2.2L engine in America it was puttin out 142 hp, 149 trqs. In the Impreza it was good for 23 mpg city, 29 hwy. 30 hwy mpg in the Legacy. With modern engine improvements such as i-lift, I think the 2.2L could put out between 145-150 hp given the revised method of testing.

My friend had a 5MT, 2.2L, AWD Legacy and she said it was good for 35 mpg hwy. So why couldnt a 3000lb Impreza with a 5MT or CVT do the same. Something to think about. Restarting production of engine would cost Subaru money. But fuel economy is definately hurting the sales. Especially since their current Impreza is only good for 27 mpg.

First off,

Thanks, everybody for the dittos. I am gratified and thankful.

Second... and off-topic... that subaru R1, or whatever compact car...

I kinda like the side-view mirrors. The mirror's pivot joint looks kind of similar to the Legacy mirror... But I suppose on a car like that, there probably isn't a heated and side-indicator equipped mirror of that shape... If there was, that might be a cool JDM mod to put a mirror like that on the door bracket attachment for the Legacy, if the pivot joint is the same, and can be transplanted.

It is certainly better looking than the barn-door Tribeca variant of the rectangular side view mirrors.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/92/2005_Subaru_R1.jpg/800px-2005_Subaru_R1.jpg

But its so tiny. And technically, the Insight is better.

Key word NOW last i heard the Honda Insight was discontinued, plus thats a hybrid.

PLUS:

It provides 0-60mph in 13.5 seconds and a top speed of 99mph too, which is ample for a supermini.

^^I'm sure that'll impress the women too!

Key word NOW last i heard the Honda Insight was discontinued, plus thats a hybrid.

PLUS:

It provides 0-60mph in 13.5 seconds and a top speed of 99mph too, which is ample for a supermini.

^^I'm sure that'll impress the women too!

Its not available in America and neither is the RE. Who cares if its a hybrid.

A US gallon = .8 Imperial gallon. US quart = 32 ounces. Imperial quart = 40 ounces. The US is the last country—perhaps Burma is another—on the planet not to use the metric system.

We still sell beer and lager in pints in the UK - fuel is sold in litres but consumption quoted as miles per gallon (imperial).

The problem that Subaru has for some markets, certainly Europe, is reducing the corporate fuel consumption - awd is great, we all love it, but the penalty is fuel consumption - the diesel boxer for 2008 Legacy / Outback and 2009 Forester will enhance sales and move the corporate consumption sharply downwards.

Introducing small front-wheel drive cars with a transverse inline 3/4 cylinder engine is a logical step, without diluting core values.

But you don't have to sacrafice AWD for fuel economy. If Subaru offered 2.0L or 2.2L engines in the U.S. they would be sell to those who want AWD, but also want fuel economy.

For example: (and these are 2007 EPA #s) The AWD Suzuki Aerio has a 155 hp 2.3L engine. Its good for 25 mpg city, 31 hwy. Compare that to the 22 city, 29 hwy of an Impreza with a 2.5L.

Now put the 140 hp 2.2L in the Impreza and I could see good things.

Or take a technology like direct injection. The AWD GS350 is a 4000 lb car that can go from 0 - 60 in 5.8 seconds. 303 hp from a 3.5L. Compare that to the 3350 lb Legacy that has 243 hp and can do 0-60 just as quick in MT form. Now compare gas mileage.

Legacy GT: 19 mpg city, 25 hwy.

GS350: 18 mpg city, 25 hwy.

At a weight difference of about 600 lbs I'd say that is pretty good for the Lexus.

But you don't have to sacrafice AWD for fuel economy. If Subaru offered 2.0L or 2.2L engines in the U.S. they would be sell to those who want AWD, but also want fuel economy.

For example: (and these are 2007 EPA #s) The AWD Suzuki Aerio has a 155 hp 2.3L engine. Its good for 25 mpg city, 31 hwy. Compare that to the 22 city, 29 hwy of an Impreza with a 2.5L.

Now put the 140 hp 2.2L in the Impreza and I could see good things.

Or take a technology like direct injection. The AWD GS350 is a 4000 lb car that can go from 0 - 60 in 5.8 seconds. 303 hp from a 3.5L. Compare that to the 3350 lb Legacy that has 243 hp and can do 0-60 just as quick in MT form. Now compare gas mileage.

Legacy GT: 19 mpg city, 25 hwy.

GS350: 18 mpg city, 25 hwy.

At a weight difference of about 600 lbs I'd say that is pretty good for the Lexus.

I agree.

by the way how dated is the technology in the 2.5i? When was it first introduced and what does it lack?

I agree.

by the way how dated is the technology in the 2.5i? When was it first introduced and what does it lack?

The 2.5L debuted in 1996. It started out requring 89 octane and producing 155 hp. With active i lift it maxed at 175 hp, currently its at 170. The only thing that it lacks is direct injection.

The 2.5L debuted in 1996. It started out requring 89 octane and producing 155 hp. With active i lift it maxed at 175 hp, currently its at 170. The only thing that it lacks is direct injection.

My cousin had a 97 Legacy GT (now its his sister's car) When we popped our hoods they seemed very different... but basically its the same block some modifications?

My cousin had a 97 Legacy GT (now its his sister's car) When we popped our hoods they seemed very different... but basically its the same block some modifications?

I had a '96 LGT. Basically the difference is the air intake system. The central airbox and resonators weren't there in the '96. Im not positive, but Im assuming the air intake modifications were part of the reason why hp went up to 165 in '97. And it could run on regular gas too. Noice.

• 4 weeks later...
If Subaru ditches the Boxer and AWD, what are you left with? Not a Subaru, so why would a person buy one? There would need to be some incentive to not get a Camry, Accord or Altima. What Niche would a FWD Subaru have to sway consumers?

+1 no awd, no boxer.. subaru wont hold my interest w/o these things.. if a car isnt exciting to drive its just another sedan.

tell the epa to shove it, make like 1100 variations of the justy to dilute the avg fuel econ requirements.

Also, some may note that the early 90s legacy (no I didnt read every word of the posts so if its been said.. poo-wan-u) had optional AWD. I found a FWD in the junkyard, basically what it looked like to me was it was the same tranny minus the mid and rear diffs, maybe some different internals.. worst case they would probablly go back to that system.

also, the boxer is a tiny engine comparativley, theres room around it in the engine bay potentially for batteries and hybrid equiptment. I suppose if subaru REALLY had to do it, they could make a 2.5i hybrid to meet the fleet fuel req. and continue to make the REAL cars for all the normal human beings out there.

no.. I'm not correcting my typos, too lazy its new years eve.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Im not sure if you are understanding this right. They aren't going to get rid of boxer engines and AWD. If they were to do this SOA would go back to the way it was in the 90s and how you could get a Legacy, Impreza, SVX, Loyale in FWD or AWD.

Archived