LegacyGT.com

cigarette lighter

Mr. Ed

Not sure what to tell you. I run 2 USB hubs and the radar detector from the center one (in the arm rest) and I have the other one disabled. Surely there's more to just using yours to lit up a cigarette than it meets the eye. No short circuit in the other one ? Some metal contact inside your armrest compartment and you do not have the little cap on? I imagine they run on a common fuse ?

Not sure what to tell you. I run 2 USB hubs and the radar detector from the center one (in the arm rest) and I have the other one disabled. Surely there's more to just using yours to lit up a cigarette than it meets the eye. No short circuit in the other one ? Some metal contact inside your armrest compartment and you do not have the little cap on? I imagine they run on a common fuse ?

the two do not share the same fuse....the one in the console uses a seperate fuse ...at least i am pretty sure it does....worth looking into though, as I have the xm plugged in there

vacation pix :-)

But as I said - I run stuff off of that one cig lighter that I have plus occasionally the laptop. Nothing happened so I would image either you have some short or...definitely an overload.

I think you can read up on how many Amps they are rated so you could calculate if you are overloading.

I read up in the manual about the power handling of the cigg adapters. My 08 has one in the dash, and one in the console. They're both tied into the same fuse and it's a max load of 110watts, which its literally a joke. A cigg lighter will always blow that. I have no idea what they were thinking when they engineered that, and I would imagine the older models must be similar.

Something's not quite right here.....

I've got my radar detector and one of my laser jammers running off that set of wiring (tapped-in via Vamp/T-taps), and even when I plug in yet another accessory (portable DVD-player, inverter for the laptop, etc.), the fuse still won't blow.

I can't imagine why you're blowin' that fuse from just using the cigarette lighter in its due function. Something's not right with your wiring.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 1 month later...
Something's not quite right here.....

I've got my radar detector and one of my laser jammers running off that set of wiring (tapped-in via Vamp/T-taps), and even when I plug in yet another accessory (portable DVD-player, inverter for the laptop, etc.), the fuse still won't blow.

I can't imagine why you're blowin' that fuse from just using the cigarette lighter in its due function. Something's not right with your wiring.

Wiring or the fuses themselves....I started thinking...this car had blown fuses when I got home from the dealer with it.....

In the 05 the armrest port and cig lighter are on a different fuse....

the fuses I was using were all factory supplied spares. I finally made time to stop and pick up a handful of new fuses from the auto store and it is now working fine..

^ Strange - but it's good that you've got it all figured out! :)

Perhaps somehow, the factory-spares were a bad batch or their installer had really dirty hands?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Strange - but it's good that you've got it all figured out! :)

Perhaps somehow, the factory-spares were a bad batch or their installer had really dirty hands?

there is no telling....

i jsut suddenly realized that the first night I had the car I had 3 or 4 fuses blown.... didn't notice till I got in to drive out to show it off...and the headlights didn't work..

needless to say I went ahead and bought a good assortment of fuses.....

Archived