LegacyGT.com

self healing paint?

I was reading through the new Infiniti EX35 info on leftlanenews and it talks about it's paint...

[b[self-healing paint[/b]

The EX comes standard with Nissan's new "fluid finish" technology. The specialized paint has been tested in Japan on the X-Trail crossover, but the launch of the EX marks the first time the technology will be available in America.

Minor scratches in the clearcoat will disappear in hours or days thanks to an elastic resin that flows back into shape after being damaged.

I wonder how a buffer will affect this.

Not marketing BS, but real technology. I expected something about Nissan when I saw the thread title, as they were the first to implement the technology (to my knowledge) so it's little surprise it's an Infiniti stateside that gets it.

The word in the detailing world is that it lasts for about three years before it won't "heal" anymore. I haven't heard anything about long term durability, but speculation is that it may not be good.

Granted, this is still only the clearcoat, so if you get a real scratch (to the paint) you are still out of luck.

This will be most beneficial to being "swirl resistant."

If it was the same thing on the Pilot, then there were still a few factors.

First off, people are stupid and were probably keying the car. As noted, deep scratches to the paint or metal won't heal. This is for light scratches that could normally be buffed out ... or in other words, in the clear coat, not through it.

Second, people are stupid and don't understand the concept of waiting. It's like a urethane coat on a table. It's soft enough to leave an impression, or a scratch, but its still liquid enough to go back to normal a day or two later. So sure, you can scratch it now, but you won't see it disappear immediately. You need to come to the show the next day and see if the light scratch (like a swirl mark) is still there.

I have a Pilot and the paint is not self healing (sorry to say). I do remember Nissan talking about this a few years ago. There is a thread on the Autopia forums about it somewhere in the archives. It isn't the paint that is self healing. It is some sort of coating that does the trick. That coating is only supposed to last for a couple of years and then it is gone too, so it isn't really a solution to swirled cars. If you whack the side of your car with your laptop bag and scrape the paint with the zipper, then some coating on the paint isn't really going to save you anyway. It might repair itself from the minor swirls you get from washing with a sponge or drying with a bathtowel, but scratches from parking too close to the bushes or getting keyed or something aren't going to fix themselves. It's something that some suckers are going to pay a ton of money for just like the 'never wax your car again' BS that dealerships sell you.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Wax doesn't repair swirls. It hides them.

This isn't that complicated. The paint job is the same. The paint doesn't flow. The outer coat is what's different. They might even have a normal clear coat with a special coating on top of that.

I did a wiki search on the infinity ex35, they call the "self-healing paint" Scratch Shield. A quick google search on that terms brings up http://scratchshield.com/. They sell kits for any car (but the website is broken atm), and from the install pics it looks like 3m tape for the entire car, but it is a elastic plastic that is supposed to cure and fill minor scratches.

So assuming this is the same stuff, it is not another paint coat, or mixed with either the paint or clearcoat, but plastic that is applied to the body of the car post painting. The faq's were busted, but I would assume it is safe to buff, and will not melt off the car into a puddle when you come out of the office, lol. Looks like it won't be included with any quick detail spray anytime soon then :(

• 2 weeks later...

Thread resurrection. I mentioned a spray bottle, but isn't this sorta what Klasse SG is already?

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze creates an elastic, non-chip, shrink-proof, heat and scratch resistant - protective seal against ultraviolet rays, salt water, acid rain and industrial pollutants for up to 12 months.[/Quote]

I would say it's different because, presumably, Nissan's (Infiniti's) coating wouldn't wash off with either a claybar or something like dishsoap.

I guess I hadn't ever heard anything about Klasse SG as being elastic, and I would highly question 12 months of coverage ... maybe more like 4-6 months.

Ofcourse nothing last 12 months unless (maybe) it is a garage queen, even then its doubtful. And Klasse ofcourse is not a permament solution to preventing scratches, but was just wondering if frequent applications of SG were similar to the protection in "self-healing paint". The site I linked to before was a elastic coat applied to and heated to adhere to the paint, so obviously something completely different. Scratch prevention and correction in a spray bottle or QD is what I was aiming for. Never used SG myself, but my buddy just got AIO and SG so I was going to give it a comparison to Optimum Opti-Seal.

Archived