LegacyGT.com

Leather and Moonroof alternatives

I just got done with reading the debate going on over at nasioc about the lack of sunroof and the packaging of the Legacy, and I thought I would post this thread over here, lest it get lost in the noise over there. I am debating between a base GT sedan, or a GT Limited sedan. From everything that I have read, the LTD offers: powered front seats leather seating moonroof For $2600. Now I am thinking from a base point of view, what if these options were done in the aftermarket down the line. The questions I am thinking of are as follows: Can the cloth seats be recovered with leather down the line? Aftermarket sunroof Whats the quality like? Whats the cost of a unit? Any good companies out there that do this? Anyone have any pictures of aftermarket units? I just dont want to spend on money for something that I rarely use, especially when I can get those items individually down the line. I am sure there are aftermarket leathers out there that I can get the seats reupholstered with that are of a higher quality than Subaru's. As for the sunroof, thats more of a curiosity. As for the power seats, I just dont care. :wink: [/list]

Aftermarket leather can be done for around $1000 installed. Often the quality is actually better than OEM. You also have your choice of colors. Aftermarket sunroofs cost around $1000 or more installed. Quality varies. The roofs themselves are quite good these days - it is the installation quality that you have to watch out for. Luckily most roofs now have a lifetime warranty - so if it ever leaks you're covered (assuming the installation company is still in business). However you are now out $2000. If you absolutely don't want power seats, then this might be a good option for you; personally I'm indifferent, and would rather have the nice BIG two piece OEM roof. I've never seen a comparable aftermarket roof. I think it's worth a few extra hundred. In reality, it's only $100 difference if you get the car at invoice.

Yeah, at the very least I am considering the aftermarket sunroof option. The leather seating surfaces maybe down the line, but not for sure. The power seats I couldnt care less for, and if anything the leather will come in down the line to give my Legacy a shot in the arm looks wise. I plan on keeping this car for a long, long time :D

I would much rather have a factory sunroof than aftermarket. I would feel better about it being done right and would not have to worry about its value on the used market when time to sell. If you only kinda want the leather, then I say just do it aftermarket. However, I personally believe that the best ones are usually solid colors that look as if they could be factory done. Ones such as the picture above may look decent, but sometimes they look a little overdone for my taste. If anything, I would use the factory type color but maybe do the center in Alcantara instead of leather. That would add some grip to the seat and keep it from being as cold as well. I'm sure that Katzkin will have sets in time, and you can be sure that there will then be some group buys through here or nasioc which will drop the price down to about $600. Power seats can be ok, but they are almost worthless to me if they don't have memory functions. I still can't believe that they didn't include such a simple feature. Oh well. For the $2600, I would rather get two Recaro Speed seats or similar and have them and the rears covered in leather w/ alcantara centers. mmmm, nice. Now what to do with the leftover money? The only problem is that this would interfere with the weight sensor for the passenger airbag, but there may be a remedy for that.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a little annoyed with the sunroof in my '03 wagon because the front glass only moves up and down while the rear glass slides back to reveal open sky. I saw a forester XT yesterday, and the roof was huge, like a mini cooper. Why didn't they go with one of these on the new wagon? I'm actually considering aftermarket because of this.

easton - The new wagon moonroof will open up fully (almost as big as the Forester but not quite) but will have the first 6 inches or so tilt up and act like a wind deflector. Unlike your wagon which is split permanently Tin_pusher - Yes, there will be moonroofs on the Legacy's but are only part of the limited packages. Cheers! -Ian

[quote name='GTRob']I think it's worth losing the seat warmers for that seat. It's cloth anyways, so how cold can it really get?[/quote] I used to think that, until I experienced bun warmers in a car with cloth seats. It's niiiiceee! Mmmm.... :D Kevin

Remember, Kevin is GETTING old so he needs those sort of things. ;) I used to not think so much of heated seats until a cold winter day working outside and using the bosses truck to haul stuff, getting in and out of the cold. It was really nice.

If you want the moonroof, then I think the Ltd. package is worth it. Factory fit and finish, as well as factory warranty, on moonroof and leather interior would be worth the $2600. Me, I could care less about the moonroof, and I'm not too fond of electric seats that don't have memory. My wife is 9" shorter than me, so manual adjustments are easier and quicker than motorized adjustments. I think I'm going to get the plain GT and spend my extra $2600 on tires, maybe suspension, and, down the line, a Katzkin leather interior if I feel I need the luxury.

Archived