LegacyGT.com

a bit confused about the steering wheel in the legacy gt limited

mmanus88

i have searched! i always see pics of teh steering wheel with control buttons on both sides, but then again i go to edmunds and see pics of the same car with no control button on the steering wheel. does the USDM legacy gt limited have any control buttons on the steering wheel? if so what do they do?

[quote name='mmanus88']yea sorry i'm getting the 5aet version. so thats it? sport shift buttons? no radio/volume control?[/QUOTE] No radio controls on the GT. My 5MT has no buttons on the steering wheel at all. Kind of a bummer, considering even cars like the Mazda 3 have radio controls on the wheel. Although I think the VDC has radio controls. tom

tom :)

move the shift buttons to BEHIND the wheel, or make them paddles, and add audio controls to the front.. I would buy the wheel in a second. The buttons for shifitng are useless in turns unless you specifically prep your hands for them... so.. using them on straight shots i just like the shifter better.. the car does seem to respond to the button presses more then the shifter when moving up / down gears quickly under load.

[quote name='mmanus88']what the hell is up with shift being on BOTH sides?[/QUOTE] In theory that is not a bad design. When I was driving mine on a road course, there were times where a 2-3 upshift in necessary on the track out. In a right hander, the left "up" button would be helpful, and in a left lander, the right one would be. However, I ended up using the stick most of the time because I found the buttons too small when using gloves. I do agree that paddles behind the rim, like in Ferraris, would be much better.

Not just volume contols - need also radio station changer, bluetooth compatible cell phone controls, air con temp control, hi-beam flasher, normal-auto/sport mode selector, sun/moon roof controls, NOS ... Seriously though, I do agree volume and station controls would be nice, like on many others cars (BMW, etc.). Gee, even our local Oz cars have them these days. [quote name='mmanus88']that just sucks. that would be the only qualm i would have from driving this car. at least volume controls!!!! what the hell is up with shift being on BOTH sides?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='agctr']Im sure the radio control will come out of some of the updates. The buttons u see on the 5EAT are only for gear change control. Adam.[/QUOTE] According to the parts diagram my dealer's parts dept gave me, the STEERING WHEEL for the Sport Shift (2.5XT, 2.5GT) is the same as that for the radio buttons [labeled "SATELLITE SWITCH" in the repair manual] (LL Bean, VDC?). While the wiring harness may not the same, you could at least swap the buttons if you wanted to: Sport Shift buttons: 34325 Satellite switch: 83153 (~$110 they said) The label on the radio (above the CD slot) is identical between the LL Bean and 2.5XT Outback wagons, so I suspect the connector is available (it is two wires according to the repair manual, pins 3 and 7 on the radio?) if you wanted to switch out sport shift for radio controls. You might need to find the wiring harness part, though could always build one If someone was creative, they could hack up something that would allow the radio buttons to control both the gear changes as well as the radio (momentary button press + shifter?). What I've been thinking of doing is swapping the Sport Shift buttons for the radio buttons, and then using the up/down motion of the cruise control switch for the gear selector. While I barely ever use the gear change buttons (on long hills for engine braking), when I do it _isn't_ in sport mode, so I don't want to be forced to move the gear selector.

[quote name='anotherbrian']What I've been thinking of doing is swapping the Sport Shift buttons for the radio buttons, and then using the up/down motion of the cruise control switch for the gear selector.[/QUOTE] Alternatively, if right-hand drive cars in UK or Japan mount the cruise control switch on the opposite side of the wheel than LHD models, you could try mounting _TWO_ sets of cruise control switches and use them like traditional paddle shifters. :p

[quote name='rkkwan']In theory that is not a bad design. When I was driving mine on a road course, there were times where a 2-3 upshift in necessary on the track out. In a right hander, the left "up" button would be helpful, and in a left lander, the right one would be. However, I ended up using the stick most of the time because I found the buttons too small when using gloves. I do agree that paddles behind the rim, like in Ferraris, would be much better.[/QUOTE] Egg-sactly. It's for the majority of folks who have not learned to shuffle steer, where your hands stay at 9 and 3 o'clock. Imagine the howls of protest if people were changing the radio station instead of shifting gears. Then it would have been "Nice job, Subaru. I'm sure not including a redundant set of shift buttons rather than some silly radio buttons was a great idea. Sheesh." :lol: Sometimes, a car company just can't win. Kevin

[quote name='frontrangeSubie']Yeah...another cost cutting savings dumb idea by Subaru....put shift controls on BOTH sides of the wheel (with the SEAT), and no audio controls....Saved them a buck.[/QUOTE] I personally dont want buttons of the sort on my 5MT. It's the definition of sport.. granted I got the limited for the leather/luxury, I still want my car to drive like a sports sedan (as I thought we ALL agree on that the new GT is a sports sedan, correct?) without having to worry to hit a radio button as I am turning the wheel and ruining my "groove" when I do some back-road driving. Keefe
Keefe

considering that the layout of the legacy is centered around the driver (slanted position of the radion, HVAC), i honestly don't see what the big deal aboot not having wheel mounted radio controls. the buttons for everything are well within reach. i usually rest the palm of my hand on top of the shifter and everything is just a touch away. but i kind of agree about the position of the shift buttons. paddles would be slick. the audi DSG gear box in a suby would be even sweeter. :D

any of you guys ever had cars that had audio controls on the wheel? Any '95 Camry has these as standard.....they arent usually on the wheel, but the SIDE of the wheel like your cruise control is..... You wouldn't "change the radio station instead of the gears". Its more than that....volume, CD's, radio stations and MUTE its just flat DUMB that Subaru put shift buttons on BOTH sides of the wheel....just like I said before....SOA saved a buck....

Actually, it should have buttons on either side I don't know...4 on either side which should be programmable. So you would have UP/DOWN shift, radio, speaker volume, cruise control etc. And for gearshifts...for crying out loud...either paddles & stick or just the stick. No buttons please...it ain't Playstation.

• 8 months later...
Has anyone tried DIY stereo controls? According to the diagrams, the connecter should be there. It also lists the resistance of each button. I think one could find their own buttons and put them into the GT wheel... it's just a matter of finding good buttons and mounting them in the wheel.

Archived