LegacyGT.com

What to do in NYC this weekend?

camber

Oh yeah...you should go to Gray's Papaya. Get a Papaya drink + 2 hot dogs...$2.99....a staple in NYC...there all over. For burgers...Danny Meyer's "Shake Shack" (Madison Square Park - 23rd St.) NY version of "In-Out Burger", great burgers and shakes. Forget about the "Soup Nazi"...he closed down, now has these Subway-like franchise shops...don't bother. The new fade is Grom's Gelato (2165 Broadway/76th St.). 2 Italians shipped there Gelato equipment over from Italy and the ice cream is incredible. The line is a block long...minimum 1/2 hour wait. And, it's like $5 for a small cup...but GOOD! They get there ingrediants fresh, from all the world.
KevinH

Don't forge the empire state building. Best time to go if it is a clear night is around 11 PM. You avoid the lines, and it is really nice at night.

Also top of the rock at rockefeller center. Most NY people are very friendly to tourists. Is you get lost, just ask.

5th ave goes downtown, 6th avenue goes uptown. So if you are ever in one of those, just look at the flow of traffic. If you are taking the subway, it may be good to buy a fun pass http://www.mta.info/libus/bus_info/fares.htm . They give you a full day for buses, and trains unlimited. Great deal.

The subways are safe, ask for a subway map at the booth, or just download one from the web.

The west village has lots to see as well, and great food.

X

---

Thanks guys!

Definitely want to go to Central park, site of twin towers, and 5th avenue for a bit of shopping, SOHO and maybe I'll check out West Village.

Any clubs/bars you guys would recommend for a late twenties guy?

Anyone heard of Serendipity in SOHO?

Apparently, they have these iced "hot" chocolates that are supposed to be good.

Serendipity 3 is where oyu want to go: http://www.serendipity3.com/location.htm

But be ready to wait! May take up to 1 1/2 hours from the moment you get your name on the list. What you can do is get your name on the list, and take a ride on the Roosevelt Island Tranway at the base of the 59th st bridge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Island_Tramway

You should be called shortly after the ride...if it doesn't get stuck! But seriously, you can see the whole bridge and NYC from it.

X

---

Skip the gallery. You need at least 3/4 of a day to really get a feel for it.

Also try taking a double decker bus tour. Take the one that takes you to brooklyn by the brooklyn bridge. One of the best views of the city!

X

---

Are the galleries an advisable activity?

I'm only going to be in NYC for 3 days.

It REALLY depends what you're into.

NYC has pretty much EVERYTHING you could want to do. If you like art there are some amazing galleries and museums and I would highly recommend them. If you're only so-so on art then I'd definitely say skip them and do the more landmark and good restaurant type things.

Maybe give everyone a general idea of what you'd prefer to do and what kind of things you want to eat and people can guide you more specifically...

Well, I haven't been to NYC since I was a little kid.

I think foremost, I want to experince the city first hand. I thought about going to the art gallery but didn't think it was good way to spend time. However, this writers strike thing has thrown some of my original plans askew and might free up some time for the galleries.

I'm not too picky with food, shopping and entertainment. I just want to do things that are uniquely NYC. Although, I can get a bit more specific

Major things:

- Food (no more then $50-60 for dinner, $10-20 for lunch and no special dress codes. Place where I wouldn't feel out of place wearing some designer jeans)

- Shopping( I'm specifically looking for shoes as the big purchase of this trip, some good clothes and knick knacks)

- Entertainment(TV shows, musical/broad way shows, maybe some clubbing or bar hopping with pop, hip-hop, R&B, house or lounge music.)

- Site seeing(Central Park, SOHO, twin towers site, Rockefeller center etc.)

Archived