LegacyGT.com

I reserved my GT wagon last week

Three years ago I bought my 01 Outback (base wagon) because I needed a car that would go in the snow. I was more than pleasantly surprised with how well the it handled. The only real problem with it is the sluggish 4spd auto transmission. :( Subaru has literally answered my prayers (not quite, but close) with the new GT. I have put down the refundable deposit and will have the right to buy one of the first GT wagons at my local dealer. I can’t wait. :D Knowing that the new Legacy is almost here I’ve looked at the new Passat 1.8t 4motion, the 325xi, the a4 1.8t and the Jag X-type with the 2.5. All 5 speed manuals with the exception of the Audi which had a super smooth 6 speed. Based on specs and initial reviews it seems that NONE of these cars will be able to compete with the new GT. Interestingly I told all of the respective dealers that I was looking at all of the other cars in the group. They all had reasons why theirs was better. However, I got silence when I mentioned the new GT. :D Also, my darned Outback handles on a par or better than all of the above.

Thanks for the welcome guys!!! My “deal” is sort of convoluted. I agreed to pay MSRP. I will get a “free” dealer package that normally goes for $700. Worthless stuff like a clear front end mask and scotch guard on the seats. The dealer said that if I waited for the cars to come into inventory they would charge the $700 for the aforementioned package of crap. The dealer basically told me that the cars will go for MSRP at least until the 04’s are gone. I only agreed to the “deal” because my deposit is 100% refundable for any reason. In doing some of my initial research I read on another site (that I can no longer find) that some advanced prices were ranging from discounts off MSRP to premiums ABOVE sticker. I’m actually going to start shopping around with some other dealers this week to see what they’re pricing at. My other motivator in not waiting around for the second or third allocation is that my 01 will only depreciate that much more and I will probably have to put some $$ into it by then (fall). I hate that. You spend $500 on maintenance and the car is worth $500 LESS the following week. “Net loss” of $1,000. As far as options I want the base GT wagon. IMHO it’s the perfectly configured driver’s car. The ltd. package with the sunroofs (I’ll never open them), leather (don’t really like it) and power seats (only good if it has memory) don’t do anything for me.

[quote name='SoldonSubie']As far as options I want the base GT wagon. IMHO it’s the perfectly configured driver’s car. The ltd. package with the sunroofs (I’ll never open them), leather (don’t really like it) and power seats (only good if it has memory) don’t do anything for me.[/quote] Welcome Soldon, and I'm right there with you on this.

Archived