LegacyGT.com

944 turbo...anybody have ownership experience?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A good friend of my has one. All you need to know is that everything for it is very expensive. You can get better weekend/project car for the money, especially if you plan on modding.

I do plan on modding. Lindsey Racing seems to have quality stuff for not outrageous money. I'm more concerned about basic stuff breaking on a 20 year old car. what other cars do you recommend?

For the $3-5k range, which I think the early 944 turbo falls under, I would look for a DSM. You can probably get an early 2nd gen Eclipse GSX or Eagle TSi for that money. You are going have to be careful about crank walk if you are looking at a 2nd gen DSM. But the GSX/TSi are pretty much a Lancer Evo in a coupe body. They have AWD and the 4g63 engine that can make insane power. The aftermarket for the DSM is huge and it's very easy/cheap to make lots of power just like the Evo. The hardest part will be finding a clean and unmolested DSM. You are also looking at a ~10 year old car instead of 20 year old one.

For the $3-5k range, which I think the early 944 turbo falls under, I would look for a DSM. You can probably get an early 2nd gen Eclipse GSX or Eagle TSi for that money. You are going have to be careful about crank walk if you are looking at a 2nd gen DSM. But the GSX/TSi are pretty much a Lancer Evo in a coupe body. They have AWD and the 4g63 engine that can make insane power. The aftermarket for the DSM is huge and it's very easy/cheap to make lots of power just like the Evo. The hardest part will be finding a clean and unmolested DSM. You are also looking at a ~10 year old car instead of 20 year old one.

DSMs are great for power but are a little too racer for me (I'm old). I'm thinking late 944 turbo or perhaps Mazdaspeed Miata and do the equivalent of a LGT stage 2 or 3 upgrade.

I don't have the skills for an LS1 swap so I'm not sure if I would go that route. A weekend / project car is a good chance to learn something new though so it is a possibility.

I'm thinking late 944 turbo or perhaps Mazdaspeed Miata and do the equivalent of a LGT stage 2 or 3 upgrade.

Mazdaspeed Miata would be nice but that's a lot more money than $3-5k. I think those are well over $15k. You should come up with a budget first and work from there, because there are lot of good tuner cars for $10-15k.

I have an 88 944 turbo now with an ls1. that swap is getting a little more common but it does involve a lot of work. I wdn't recommend a 944 turbo that falls into a 3-5k price range. 6-8 is more like it and 8 to 12 will get you a really nice one. 944s are great cars. parts aren't really all that bad and there is a large market in used parts. they are pretty fast stock and mods to the turbo engine can make them very quick indeed. maintenance is expensive though, if you aren't going to do it yourself. a lot wd depend on whether you have more specific criteria.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

2nd gen rx-7 + LS1 = FUN

(looks better than a 944 anyways ;))

subjective, of course. for my money, the 2nd gen rx7 is pretty bland. 944s are definitely very 1980s, but there's some charm to that and they have much nicer interiors.

getting out of the legacy game :cool:

I have an 88 944 turbo now with an ls1. that swap is getting a little more common but it does involve a lot of work. I wdn't recommend a 944 turbo that falls into a 3-5k price range. 6-8 is more like it and 8 to 12 will get you a really nice one. 944s are great cars. parts aren't really all that bad and there is a large market in used parts. they are pretty fast stock and mods to the turbo engine can make them very quick indeed. maintenance is expensive though, if you aren't going to do it yourself. a lot wd depend on whether you have more specific criteria.

Not sure where the 3-5k number came from. I expect to pay $10-12k for a clean 944 turbo.

I would do a lot of the maintenance except for timing chain etc. I think 944s still look great and parts do seem to be reasonable.

Tell me a bit more about the car with the LS1. Porsche tranny?

Not sure where the 3-5k number came from. I expect to pay $10-12k for a clean 944 turbo.

My bad, $3-5k is for 944 S, instead of turbo. :redface:

$10-12k is a lot of money to pay for a 20 year old car...

Just for comparison, $10-12k is what Edmunds says how much '02 WRX goes for.

I paid $11k for my '94 300ZX TT with <70k miles 3 years ago. Do you want something stylish to cruise around in or something more of a track car?

My bad, $3-5k is for 944 S, instead of turbo. :redface:

$10-12k is a lot of money to pay for a 20 year old car...

Just for comparison, $10-12k is what Edmunds says how much '02 WRX goes for.

I paid $11k for my '94 300ZX TT with <70k miles 3 years ago. Do you want something stylish to cruise around in or something more of a track car?

Agreed...20 years is a long time. I like the way the 944 drives but I am nervous about repairs.

I forgot about the 300ZX TT. I always liked that car.

I'm not really looking for a track car. More of a hobby car with a good style / performance balance that I can work on and upgrade for fun.

Holy cow, $22.5k and reserved not met! I know it's very low miles and it's a amazing example but I just can't see spending that much for a car almost 20 years old.

Agreed...20 years is a long time. I like the way the 944 drives but I am nervous about repairs.

I forgot about the 300ZX TT. I always liked that car.

I'm not really looking for a track car. More of a hobby car with a good style / performance balance that I can work on and upgrade for fun.

'94 and '95 are the most desirable years for the 300ZX TT so there is a slight premium on those. You can usually get dgood examples of the '91-'93 Z32 TT for less than $10k. '90 is the first year of Z32 so it's generally consider least desirable but there isn't anything major wrong with that MY. '96 is the last year and it has the OBDII so it's harder to mod. A stage III is about $2,000 worth of mods, basically intake, TBE and ECU chip. My stage 3 was dyno'd at 350 whp. The stock turbos and fuel system is good for up to about 400 whp. Check out twinturbo.net if you want to learn more about the TT.

Another car that I would suggest you take a look at is the 2nd gen Toyota MR2 turbo. You can't go wrong with mid-engine, RWD turbo car with "good old" Toyota built quality. The AWD 3000GT VR4/Stealth R/T are fun too but they are pretty heavy.

I always had to put the seat all the way back on mine to get in(lay down) and then pull myself forward with the steering wheel so I could reach the pedals. Mine was a blast in the curves. It cornered like it was on rails! It also still got 30+ MPG when I sold it with 192,000 miles on it.
Let's kick this pig!

Another car that I would suggest you take a look at is the 2nd gen Toyota MR2 turbo. You can't go wrong with mid-engine, RWD turbo car with "good old" Toyota built quality.

MR2...forgot about that one as well. The styling is a bit meh but the layout is interesting.

Archived