LegacyGT.com

Goodyear F1 AS review

legacy_y_tu

Okay, so today there was a lot of ice on the road. The tires did great. In fact I didn't even know the road was iced until I parked the car and tried to step out of my car. I say tried because I only got one foot on the ground before I slipped out of the car and nearly hit the ground. When I pulled into the parking lot at work there was no ABS lockups or even any feel like the car was slipping when turning/maneuvering into the parking space.

I'm starting to look forward n0ow to some major snow to see what these can really do. I 'm starting to believe these are going to be a pretty good winter tire...

well i just picked up a set last week, and havent had too much snow on the ground to test them... however, in the rainy-icey mix we've been having here in the chi, they have been great!

last night i almost completely missed a parking lot entrance at 40+mph, when i realized, i grabbed the brakes, which didnt lock up, and zipped into the lot at bout 25mph on an upward ramp without any slippage or give from these tires... on my re92's i woulda hit the guy who was sitting there waiting to exit the parking lot!

these tires will break traction, but you know its coming cause it has to be pretty forced by the driver. i got some understeer while mashing the gas from a stop sign and turning right. the good thing is they grabbed right away and snapped me back into a straight line!

some of the side-streets here still had a light blanket of snow the last couple of days, which gave me a little insight into the tires behavior on snow. the brakes will lock up, but nowhere near as quickly as the 92's... i am waiting for a decent snow to test out their balance in an empty parking lot....

ill keep you guys posted. so far i absolutely love these tires!

erick

I have to agree with all the reviews so far. I am really happy with these tires. I have a couple thousand miles on them so far. The traction is exceptional in the rain and cornering is great. I have only driven in some slush so far and they performed well. I did a lot a research before replacing the OE tires and these offered the most for the price. The new technology incorporated in the tires also helped me to decide. My only complaint, and not much of an issue, is that they are slightly noisier than I am used to. That may wear off after some more miles though.

:woowoo: forecast is calling for 6-10" of snow tonigh so I will get a chance to really test these out. This storm is supposed to dump around 3"/hr at right around rush hr. :eek:. Unfortunately, I'm also supposed to go to a John Melloncamp concert tonight too....I hope they don't cancel it :spin:

I'm getting the same storm but I'll be seeing some snow but more sleet.

Really? Where are you located?

On a side note....the verdict is in!! These tires are very..................................GOOD is the snow :wub:. First off my commute home took me 7 hours :mad: but on a happy note I was powering throught the crap with no problems at all. Way better than the RE92's. There was also a pretty decent threshold before the ABS would kick in. The snow was a fine powdery snow with a lot of slush in the travel lanes with all the cars. I did manage to get partially high-centered and stuck momentarily. I decided to stop at my brothers to see if he wanted to get dome food rather than fight with the traffic. We parked on the main street and went in to eat at a local restaurant, whereupon a plow came by and plowed a snownbank right up to the bottom of my door burying the car (see below picture). When I pulled out I made it 3/4 of the way over the bank and then high-centered. A little rocking was working the car over it but after a couple of minutes a guy who was sitting at the table next to us came out and gave us a push which was all that was necessary. My brother wound up eating a crapload of snow that the tires were kicking up:lol:. This wasn't a shortcoming of the tires, it was merely a lack of ground clearance. I WAS powering through other plowed snowbanks that were up to the top lip of the Subaru emblem on the front grill. That was fun, power through turn the wheels and watch the snow roostertail off the front tires, talk about tunnel vision :lol:.

Needlesss to say I'm extremely happy with the way these tires performed and would highly recommend them. A great all around tire, wet, dry, and snow!

Sorry about the crappy cell phone pic. My cell phone sucks!

12-13-07_2050.jpg.8a5913e9cad0fb8410a323fca9250446.jpg

I'm on Long Island. We didn't get much snow but we got sleet and freezing rain. These tires were awsome. I purposly tried to drive in the slushy crap between lanes on the road to try them out. They drove straight though. My old PZero Nero M+S would've been floating on that stuff. Very happy.

Just put on a set in 225/40-18 tonight. Alignment is next Tuesday, then we'll see what the first 1K miles is like. After reading the reviews, I figured it would be okay to take a chance on these.

Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Great to hear that they are good in the snow. Haven't really had enough snow to get a test out of them. As far as the best running pressure I would be interested to see what everyone finds. SCOTTY, they had put mine at 40psi also when I got them on. I didn't keep them there long. Right now I have them at the specs listed on the door but I think I might add a pound. JIM1969, I am also questioning the mileage that these are giving me. It seemed to drop a bit on my long trip to work. I will continue to monitor but there could be other factors now that it is consistently cold. It is harder to compare the mileage to when the weather was warm. I got them installed just as the weather was changing from mild to cold. RJUNDI, the road noise is not bad. It seems more than the Yoko's that came OE but not enough that it bothers me. The loudest is on concrete surfaces, everything else is reasonable considering these are Z-rated performance tires with good all-season capabilities.

BTW, what pressures are you guys running f/r? I went with the stock size of 215 instead of the 225 only because the 215 has an XL load capacity. This should give stiffer sidewalls.

That's really interesting. I've always wondered about dropping to a 215 myself.

Any regrets about downsizing to a 215 XL on your OB? Personally, I always thought a 225 was excessively wide for these cars (given their weight) and maybe contributed somewhat to their tendency towards hydroplaning at times--even with decent rubber.

On one hand, I could see where the extra tire width would come in handy putting down all the HP these cars have, but unfortunately the stock suspension ends up being the 'weak link' there--so I figure why not go with a slightly skinnier tire.

Would be interested in hearing your feedback.

Tim

PS: It's encouraging to hear that Goodyear is FINALLY putting out some decent tires. My experience with both their Wrangler line and earlier Eagle line of tires has been piss-poor; poor wet traction, weird cupping and irregular wear despite proper inflation, alignment, suspension condition, etc. and they were always on the pricey side, too.

I dropped them down to 36/34. My last tires I ran at 37/35 to 38/36, but from the amount of wear I got, I think running closer to stock spec is better for wear. The tires were worn down to the wear bars in the center, yet the sides had quite less wear.

what pressure are you running? I'm 37f/35r. I used to run 38f/36r on the pirellis.

Yikes, I just checked them and they're at 32F/30R. That's not usually where I run them, but it's been a month or so since I checked them. Usually 38F/36R.

Edit: Just filled them up and they were actually at 36F/34R with a different tire gauge. Guess it's time to throw out the cheap CHINESE made tire gage.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived