LegacyGT.com

My bug guard install.... always complications!!

No matter what project I get involved in, big or small, there's annoying difficulties that make it take forever to get it done!

After laughing at the installation instructions Suby sends I found this thread which does a much better job of describing how to install this thing. It's NOT complicated at all if they would just get someone decent to write the instructions!

Took me all of an hour taking my sweet time once I understood WTF those twisted pictures were trying to tell me. Great, awesome, I'm psyched it's all done, time to go get a beer.

Close the hood... Doing! Hmmm..

Maybe I just need to close it a little harder with the guard installed? Slam...doing!

OK, wtf!?, did I leave a tool under there or something? The guard is clearly installed correctly... Hmmm... Check everything out..nothing's wrong dammit!

OK let me take the frickin thing off and see what I goofed up. I found one of the retaining clips was not seated all the way under the hood. Fixed that, re-install bug guard.

Close the hood.. hell no! Doing! Gah!, now I'm getting pissed. There's clearly nothing wrong after reviewing everything like 5 times over. I can't see what's happening. The refrigerator light scenario. Can't see what's going on when the hood is closed!

The latch was clearly not catching but that's all I knew. The hood was "all the way" down as I could see the body panels were lined up with the hood. WTF I say!?!?:confused:

Remove the grill to be able to see the latch when I attempt to close it. Ahaaa... the latch is like 1/8" from catching. But why!?!?

Investigate the grill and notice that it wasn't installed right. All the clips weren't seated and the grill was a tad higher than it should be. There was a gap between it and the bumper. I think.. bingo, I'm in business.

Reinstall grill CORRECTLY, and double check all the clips etc. Close the hood...DOING!!! Dammit, MF, Sum bitch..! Now I'm swearing in my driveway. :mad: I can see that the latch is now like 1/16" from catching.

After going back and forth with the grill and the bug guard about 10 times I was about to give up. I figure the guard is just a tad too big or whatever and was getting in the way or SOMETHING.

Then I have an idea. If I can't make the hood go down any further, the catch any higher. or the grill any lower.. I'll just make the latch piece connected under the hood a little LOWER. Remove it add two 1/8" washers behind it... VIOLA. Cliiick, hood closes....and is lined up with the quarter panels better than it was before!! 4 hours later!!

This pretty much sums up every "project" I work on, auto related or whatever.

^ I think you may be right. I really didn't want to install it to be honest. But my hood is getting owned by rock chips on the leading edge. No point putting a clear bra on now that it's already chipped up. Once the rest of the hood gets blasted I'll just have it resprayed.....with a REAL coat, not this paper thin stuff Subaru calls paint. This is my largest complaint about the car. My 91 Accord w/160k (city/highway miles) never had any sort of front end protection and the hood/front were in 10x better shape than my 05 Suby. Seriously shitty paint job.

I hear you on that one. I installed my foglights, and it took 2 days to figure out where SOA had stuffed the plug inside the bumper. It was clearly a 30-40 min. project. Although, I have to say my spoiler installation went very smooth.

I ended up taking that air intake scoop off mine when I installed. It's been a couple years ago, but I think that little extra thickness of the bug guard on that foam bead hit the intake ram when closing the hood.
Let's kick this pig!

welcome to my world. Gut an uppipe? Spend 10 hours gutting it without a vice - ruining my wrists for almost a year - and knick a small hole in the pipe. All for nothing!!! Argh! Install an uppipe? Install once - leaks, install twice - leaks, found i had a warped pipe, install 3 times...finally oK. siiigh.

I mean, story of my life. We need to have a beer together.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

Archived