LegacyGT.com

finally upgrading from the RE92s

RangerMan

36k miles and I am finally going to upgrade from the RE92s. Never one to inspire any sort of confidence, I will be very happy to ditch the RE92.

Tires come in this week and will get mounted on Saturday.

Went with stock size, 215/45/17 and am going with Kumho SPT.

I'll let everyone know what I think when I get them on!

good choice, i ran SPTs this past winter for an autox school (oh the horrible wear!) and a few autoxs, the tires performed very well and grip amazing (relative to the re92 bunny killers). and cause they're mad cheap (80 each shipped when i got them), they'll be worth it even if they only last two summers with lots of autoX

my 92s still look pretty good approaching 28,000 miles. i'm itching to put on the b'stone turanza serenity (since i'm an old guy who drives only in straight lines). i'd like to find out how quiet-riding the LGT can be. a tire rack salesguy suggested that they'd work well for me.
i'm way out of my depth . . .

I just swapped my 40k mile RE92s for Kuhmo ASXs, and bumped them up to 225/45/17. So far so good - noticeably quieter than the RE's.

I also just went from 40k+ re92's to Kumho ASX's -- very happy with the new tires. Of course, I'm putting on my snow tires soon, so I'll have a nearly new set in the spring.

After having scuffed them up a little (nothing some 4 wheel drifting on public roads couldn't fix j/k) they stick MUCH better than the stock tires. Huge difference. Roads were a little wet and they did nicely this morning as well. Felt very stable on the highway.

Discount Tire did a nice job mounting and balancing. They also torqued everything down properly. I asked specifically but I was watching and they made sure to torque all aluminum wheels. Nice crew there so I'll be going back (I'm official "recommend a tire guy" in the family so that equals many sets for them)

• 2 weeks later...

Today it rained all day in central Texas so I got to see how the tires were in the wet.

Incredible.

Great traction, no sliding around corners, no floating feeling, no hydroplaning. Very stable, very solid on some very wet roads. I am quite impressed and satisfied with these Kumhos.

Now to see what sort of treadwear I can get out of them...

We put SPTs on our '05 WRX a couple of years ago. They've been great, handling is superb and they're quiet too, although they have tend to get louder as they wear. They are soft tires though and we don't expect to get much more than about 20K miles from them. These are Summer only tires, I wouldn't want to run these in freezing temps.

Archived