LegacyGT.com

once again subaru unprepared for winter...

[quote name='cosmos'] Back on track, this thread sort of has me worried. I'm due to have my LGT this week or next and I spend a lot of time up in the mountains... anyone else having issues/ I would really think this would be a stupid design flaw considering how much time they put into thinkin about snow comfort ;C[/QUOTE] Please don't let the ramblings of one person on the internet sway any decision you will make.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Euclid']Please don't let the ramblings of one person on the internet sway any decision you will make.[/QUOTE] This man speaks the truth.

[quote name='bbbradley']Try again...you can hold a cup of water in 33* moving air all day long, it will NOT freeze, which was your original point. /bill[/QUOTE] Well were not really talking about water were talking about washer fluid with polyethylene glycol in it. Even if we were to talk about water evaporative cooling is certainly possible. Although the water itself will never get below ambient if you have a large surface area conducive to evaporation the surface in which the water evaporates from certainly can cool below ambient. The water takes the energy of phase conversion from the glass. Is it signigficant... maybe... but just saying it is possible to cool the surface on which a substrate sits (ie) windsheild below ambient by evaporative cooling. That being said the stock wipers blow... I replaced it with semi el cheapo walmart lexor replacement blades and never had a problem on my WRX or my LGT. That stupid wing on the drivers side wiper just serves to collect ice. Living in BUFFALO NY btw...

[quote name='amason']I wouldn't worry about it, mine seems OK, and I'm in Ottawa, we've had some pretty solid storms already this season. You do have to make an effort to clear the crap from in from of the washer nozzles, more so than I did on the WRX (but hey, these ones make the car that much more aerodynamic...). I also think that using the wiper blades to clear the ice probably wasn't very good for them, but I'm an idiot sometimes. If you want to talk about design flaws related to snow, why do they mount the rack so far back on the car? It's going to be a PITA to get my box on there. I had to take the rear wing off my WRX just to get it to kinda work, and it's a car that should have appealed to winter sporty types. I'm also not thrilled about the change to a flush rack, so I can't just use the same clamps from the old car. Andy[/QUOTE] You should check out reply 5 on the topic [URL=http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5503]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5503[/URL] He's apparently worked around the box hitting the wing.

Yeah something I can post about!!! Hi everybody I have had my Leg GT-L for about 1300 miles and loving it. Now, I live in North Pole, Alaska and yes I see Santa everyday driving to work. My wipers were changed the first week I had her. The wiperblade heater works awesome, believe me I used to chisel my WRX wipers everyday. I have used my sprayers when it was minus 27F they still worked (I use fluid rated to -40) but it froze as soon as it hit the windshield. So I just make sure I clean the windshield as well as I can before driving. I also let my car warm up with an auto start so when I'm driving in heavy blizzard conditions it melts away or I have it on intermittant wipe every 10 sec or so. Also, I spy on new vehicles tested at the Cold Regions test center here in Alaska so when I see any new subies, which should be next month I try to take pics. Most of the pics I have aren't that great due to low light during the winter and driving down the highway while trying to take pics doesn't help either. No I have not seen the new B9X thingie, yet. Right now Nissan and Volkswagon are testing so if anyone has any questions ask away. First off, The Nissan Altima SE-R has HID headlights if anyones interested. And they are testing LHD Nissan Skylines which Nissan has said they were just seeing if it would handle well in the snow. Subaru said the same thing when I asked about a white STi that was hanging around a couple years ago and was for sale the following year.

sbyates, that is great info, both about the legacy's cold weather behavior, and especially about the winter testing cars. BTW, I did read that the Altima SE-R had hids, and no option for NAV that the rest of the Altimas get, The forged rims on those are cool, too. Too bad it is otherwise bland, and WWD. Don't like the interior much, aside from the center stack gauges, which the legacy should have had, rather than a cubby. Are the Nissan Skylines based on the 350Z/G35 coupe platform? Hopefully those will show up on our shores, we'll have to see. If you see a Subaru Legacy STi up there, let us all know, please!!! :D

[quote name='scubie02']You know, you'd think that maybe subaru would consider that an awful lot of the people who get awd cars GET them because they live places where it SNOWS alot and gets COLD, and maybe design their cars accordingly. With my 02 wrx, something about the hoodscoop I think caused turbulence or something that sucked every snowflake right into the windshield. On most vehciles you get going, and the slipstream takes the snow right up over the car. Not the subie--zoop right into the windshield. This would have been bad enough, but something about the positioning of the wipers compared to the defrosters maybe meant the wipers froze up worse than any vehicle I have ever owned or driven, so you had tons of snow sucking into the windshield, and wipers that wouldn't wipe it away. Great. Nothing like having to stop every few minutes and wipe the crap off your windshield--real safe in the winter. I'm assuming the redesign of the hoodscoop on the 04 and after models was an attempt to remedy this somewhat. So I get the new legacy, thinking the more subdued hoodscoop and heated wipers might remedy these two nasty tendencies that ruin the subie for winter driving to some degree. We've finally started in with some colder temps and snow now--not the usual 30 degree stuff, but the colder single digit stuff along with some snow. I guess the sucking the snow in is somewhat better, but go to use the washers...nothing...and the wpiers just skip over the mess...great. Now probably designing the washer openings so they are down in where the snow and ice will be 2 inches thick in another couple weeks wasn'ty the brightest idea, but even with the snow and ice completely chipped away, still nothing. Get in the 94 ranger with 100k miles and the washers work fine. At least I'll have heated seats as I sit at the side of the road...*sigh*[/QUOTE] Why don't you bitch about it? :rolleyes:

The skyline is what you have seen on other boards. The two that were here last winter with the Q35 coupe body and only the badges were different. Not sure what engine set up they had. There was no badging other than the Nissan symbol and simply Skyline across the trunk. They always test new engine and body frames here. You would think Porche would have all the bugs worked out but, they come up here every year like clock work. I think it's just a vacation for some of them to test cars here. Especially the Japanese they have a belief that if they have sex under the Aurora Lights its good luck. So we always have loads of Japanese test cars here in the winter. Nobody pays real attention here because it's dark and really icey on the roads, and the moose, bears, and other criters running in the road.

Archived