LegacyGT.com

Straight Pipe Discussion.....

hutru01

there's nothing wrong just creeping through the neighborhood.. heck some OTHER exhaust systems (like the BPM MKIII twister I had for my 2.0 Litre WRX was way louder than my GT).. Ask Magnetic1, he could hear me from a street over and knew when I was coming home or leaving, and that was at idle.

Rexster, so what would be a difference if your next door neighbor decided to fire up Harley motorcycle in the morning for a warm-up? Those things are way louder. Would you call the cops because owns a Harley?

don't get me started about harleys. I was down at ocean city a month ago and unfortunately for us it was bike week. it was stupidly loud. we will never again go on that weekend because it was so loud. and i do have a neighbor with a harley. i don't know why harleys are excluded from the noise regulations. the guy in my neighborhood with the harley is actually really cool about it and only takes it out on weekends when it's nice out and everyone is already awake. i don't think he's bothering anyone, although i have seen some kids cover their ears when he goes by....

but another of my neighbors has a fart can on his civic and he often wakes me up when he rolls out at 6:00 am. even though he's only going 30 mph it's still loud enough for me to hear in my house, and i'm set back off the street. and i know for a fact that he isn't getting any extra power from it, it's not even an Si, it's a crappy LX.

it's not about how good or bad it sounds, it's about how loud it is. i really do like the sound of subarus, especially with stock headers. Crazy Ken's car sounds more like a GT spec 911 than a subaru. and i really like the sound of old muscle cars, too. But i would never set up my daily driver to be that loud because I know that most people will be annoyed by it. Even if you're light on the throttle it's still REALLY loud without mufflers.

what is the real benefit of taking off the mufflers? i know it's not a power thing because a 3" straight through or a pair pf straight through mufflers don't cost you any power unless you're running an insanely big turbo. does saving 15 lbs really make that much of a difference?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does saving whales really make a difference. You need a house that is in the woods without any neighbors. Sorry. But while removing the exhaust as your asking if it creates any power? I guess no. I always wondered why nascar ran a exhaust with 3 cats a high flow resonator and some mufflers. I always wondered that. :rolleyes:

This is a conversation that is not even worth getting into really. Cuz i find it to be really disturbing. That people instead of walking up to a dude would rather call the police and snitch. The same thing your teaching your kids your doing. But whatever. To each his own. If you wanna tell on stuff then go tell on stuff. I know everytime i have ever had problems with my neighbors i walked over and told them and they returned the favor. Its about living with one another. If you cant talk with your neighbors then move somewhere out in BFE. This is getting really OT. But calling the police is not kool. I dont want my kids no-where near someone who is going to snitch though.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

• 1 year later...
^ Now that might be a little too loud for my neck of the woods. VA cops might not go for the straight pipes....

Do a search on youtube for 00mred00...I have 3 different set ups on there..all using a variation of stock pipes ...

there are also several ways to open the flow AND quiet the noise levels at the same time.

listen to those clips and let me know if you have any questions

I had a custom set up built at a local muffler shop: all 3" tube with crush bends. With one MagnaFlow and 2 nice tips I paid $400. Looks very stealth from the back and sides. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40436&highlight=speedracerx

It works, and I run 98% of the time with my "cutout valve" in the OPEN mode. I only close the valve when I see a cop. When I had this setup on my WRX, it led to some pretty funny stories. 115 dB in open mode, 96 dB in closed on my WRX. The change isn't as dramatic on my LGT as the flow restriction is not as severe.

If I didn't already have the DMH cutout, I would have probably used a single in, dual out 3" Magnaflow muffler as my muffler and "Y" pipe. Should be less expensive and give you what you want for sound and performance.

best advice in this thread so far... and exactly what I will be doing with my wrx

Archived