LegacyGT.com

CONFIRMED: V8 for New E90 M3

Yes there are a few spy shots floating around but its very hard to tell what it is. They were taking while they were trialing the new running gear around the RING in Germany. Will try and dig them up for everyone. Hope you go well with your exams as well Ben. All the best Adam.

it's also a 4 door. last road and track had photos of the new 3 series and they looked pretty much like that, tho not the wheels. they've tamed down the "flame" surfaces for the 3. I read about the 400hp v8 somewhere too. where are the hp wars going to end?
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

• 8 months later...

Guys,

With these numbers 4.0 V8 putting out 310Kw or for the America crowd its 416HP, heavy the way it is, I really don't think it will be muuuuuuuuuch faster than an STi or EVO or even our cars @ Stage II...

An E36 M3 in 98 put out 240 hp making 5.5 and 14 secs

in 01 an E46 M3 was putting out 343 hp reaching 60 in 5 secs and 1/4 in 13.6 secs

Remember that we are increasing the displacement and the number of cylinders, and therefore the weight as well...

Just as a comparison, the B5 S4 with its famous 2.7T Twin Turbos, stock was able to reach 60 in 5.5 secs and 14. The tiny 4.2 V8 was only able to increase .3 secs on that time... So a Stage I B5 is head to head with a B6 S4, and a Stage II B5 is faster than a newer B6 S4...

Let's see the weight numbers first and then make conclusions on how fast this car will be I guess....

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

The new E90M3 will be as light if not lighter than the current I6, thus giving the entire M a better overall weight distribution including better stance and road holding ability. Dont worry the M will surprise our other German Friends AMG, Porsche & Audi.

Ada///M.

Well, a V8 is shorter in length, so easier to package behind the front axle. And technology has advanced since the S54 engine was designed. Plus BMW has experience from the M5 V10 since then...

A 4.0 liter V8 will have slightly smaller pistons than a 3.2 liter I6, and depending on deck height, might not have THAT much more block surface. Two heads and 4 cams, though, rather than a longer set of one head and two cams. 4 liters and 4 cams just seems like a V8 sweet-spot.

Less balance, but more powerpulses than an I6. One wonders if it will be a 90 degree V8 like a small-block american V8, or a flat-crank (think 2-I4s with a common crank...) like a lotus or ferrari V8.

Knowing BMW, it will be a stellar engine, given their V12 in the Italdesign Nazca and McLaren F1. (greatest engine ever??? Possibly... and costs more than a BMW 850. Yeah, the entire car.)

However, I am still not sold on the E90 bodystyle. the E46 was big and rounded, and the E90 has gone further, with some lines thrown back in for Bangle measure...

Yeah agreed, the engine will totally suprise a lot of ppl including the competition. The E90 design certainly grows on you and a lot of the members at M3Forum are saying the same thing, they dont like the shape. I personally think that once the design of the 2 door hits the road and then we will start to see the M taking real shape, it will change a lot of ppl's minds. They are talking about STOCK 20" rims for starters so imagine the stance and aggressive styling on that. Its certainly a suck and see but sales of the E46M are still going strong so if yr looking to buy, order now or u will miss the boat.....

Ada///M.

Archived