LegacyGT.com

~LegacyGT vs Volvo S40 T5~

When you see that new Volvo in person, it will put you back in the Legacy camp. They had a wagon and sedan at the Chicago show, and both have this weird, pinched look at the back end that is visually offputting...for me, at least. By all accounts, they are nice cars, however. And yes, there is a 6-speed manual. Kevin

[quote name='racerdave']Positive. [url]http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=8004&page_number=1[/url][/quote] ahh i see. The manuals won't be available for a few more months yet.

[quote name='racerdave']Kevin... aren't the new also Volvos significantly smaller in interior proportions than the new Legacys?[/quote] I'm not sure. I know that Volvos are often cramped...all those crumple zones, dont'cha know. I haven't seen dimensions yet, however. If somebody could post them, that would be great. Unfortunately, the ones at the Chicago show weren't open. Kevin

I wouldn't be surprised if the S40/V50 is about the same interior size as the Legacy. I know that the Protege5's interior dimensions were bigger than the Impreza in many ways, and the new Mazda3 (essentially a S40) is even bigger. That said, it's silly to talk unless we have some hard numbers to look at. I just wouldn't count the S40 out size-wise.

[quote name='SUBE555']I had to sign up on that forum just to make a good response to that thread and actually back up and show some facts about how the Legacy really is a good car![/quote] Nice one, Sube. A friend has a V40 (wagon) of the current (not new) generation, and that car just isn't at all interesting. He's done swaybars, stainless lines, nice rubber, etc, and it still isn't that nice. The suspension has a very odd feel to it, as well. IMHO, the first fun to drive Volvo will be the first. Even the S60R cars, despite their three suspension settings, really only have one usable setting, according to reviews, the middle one. The first one is too soft, so it not only pushes like a bulldozer, but the back end gets all loose. The second understeers less and works pretty well, but apparently is still not sporty, and the third is racetrack-hard. I like Volvos in theory, and the new one should definitely be on cross-shoppers' lists, particularly those who are looking in the GT Limited price territory. I haven't seen any real tests of the new one yet, so this could be a real sporty Volvo. I do know that the cellphone-inspired center console on the Volvo would drive me crazy after about five minutes. :lol: Kevin

I kind of dislike the S60R. I drove one... it's fast, but it's also very distant in the controls. The steering is numb, the adjustable computer-controlled suspension is interesting, but not a big deal. And I prefer *less* gimmicks on a car, not more. The clutch also is terrible... got a wierd fulcrum and catch point, making smooth launches a pain until about the 5th one when you get used to it. (the seats, however, are among the best I've sat in) If someone put one in my garage, I wouldn't complain. But I will not go buy one. I actually prefer the far slower 325i to it... it's more communicative and fun, rather than somber-feeling and fast. The more conventional (no gimick suspension, a real AWD system instead of Haldex) Legacy GT will be more toward my liking. In fact, I view the Legacy GT as more of a "driver's car" than the S60R in that it should be more involving to drive... and cost $10K less. Now I just have to drive one. ;)

I was keeping an open mind on the Volvo, although the Legacy is my first choice, but once I saw it in person at the New York Auto Show the Volvo is out. Its way too small compared to the Subaru. I mean if I wanted something that small I would stay with my Jetta Lease and just update to the coming GLI model (337 version for Jetta). I also think the 5 cylinder is too rough once it gets to the top part of the rev-band. I drove xc-70 wagon and it was rough up top it was also pretty slow but the car is pretty heavy. Does anybody know the final weight on the GT (not the limited)? Respectfully, Shawn

S40 Dimensions Height 57.2" Length 175.9" Track, f/r 60.4/60.3" Wheelbase 103.9" Width 69.7" Cargo Capacity 14.3 cu.ft. Max Cargo Capacity 31.2 cu.ft. Headroom w/o moonroof, f/r 38.9/37.2" Hiproom, f/r 53.7/50.7" Legroom, f/r 41.6/34.4" Shoulder Room, f/r 55.2/54.1" USDM Legacy Dimensions (sedan) Height 56.1" Length 186.2" Wheelbase 105.1" Width 68.1" Cargo Capacity 11.4 cu.ft. Headroom w/o moonroof, f/r 39.5/36.5" Legroom, f/r 44.1/33.9 Shourlder Room, f/r 54.4/53.7"

Thanks for the numbers... BUT... Those numbers can be deceiving. They sound similar, but you're actually going to have to sit in each to see which truly fits you the best. For example, IS300 and 3-series BMW numbers are pretty similar, but in actual experience, the BMW is a nice amount larger inside. Don't base it all on numbers. 8)

Archived