LegacyGT.com

~LegacyGT vs Volvo S40 T5~

What are the price and specs. on the Volvo? Personally I think it looks nice, however it is a bit too flashy. I know, coming from me, a guy who is obsessed with Evo's, the comment is unusual, but an Evo is an Evo. Anyways, I really like the Subaru Legacy's styling (USDM or not), because of it's very subdued sleeper image. I wonder which car will do better in safety tests, since the Legacy already rocked that in other countries, haha.
-ben

2.5l low-pressure turbo 5 cylinder. 218 Hp and 236 lb-ft torque. If the engine follows in the footsteps of it's predecessors, it will respond [b]very[/b] well to an after-market chip. Running gear behind the engine is rumored to be Haldex, straight out of the S60r. The platform is shared with the Mazda 3 and the Ford Focus replacement. It is suposed to be a very tight package. While the T5 front-wheel drive weighs 3126 lbs, the all-wheel drive version will obviously be more. The price will be the kicker. A bare-bones S40 turbo (FWD) will cost you $26,990. 17's will cost you more, as will certain paint colors. Audio, performance and convenience packages will also add to the price. [url]http://www.allnews40.com/[/url] unrelated, but a very sweet S60r... [img]http://www.swedespeed.com/news/uploads/motorsport/speedgt_sebring_header.jpg[/img]

My top 2 candidates for my next car are the Legacy wagon 2.5GT limited vs. the V50 T5 AWD. Price (as in value for the money) and test drives will be the clinchers. I do love Volvos. The new Legacy is growing on me, this forum helps a lot, so much valuable information on how good Subaru cars really are.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

I had the fortune to sit in this car at the NYIAS, the same place I sat in the Legacy. Here are some observations - The interior on the S40 is really cool, the flat panel console is a nice design touch, on this front it is of a higher quality than the Legacy, although it does have a lot of buttons - The interior on the S40 is [b]small[/b] I (6'4) could barely fit in the drivers seat, and with that said, whoever sat behind me will be even worse off. Legacy has it beat here - The styling is very nice, very elegant and very powerful. Ok, lets get to the point here. Although the S40 does start at ~$26K, when you are looking at the AWD S40 Turbo with a six-speed, you are looking at 3-series, G35 territory. The S40 is just too damn small to compete there. I talked to a rep from Volvo about the pricing for the AWD Turbo 6-speeder and they said "around $32K." Thats a lot of money, especially when you visit the Volvo website and see what kind of money you have to shell out to get the options you want. But, I could see a C&D comparo down the line with the S40 AWD, G35x, 3-series AWD and Legacy AWD. Should be interesting, but as for me, the Leggy took it in this face off. :D

[quote name='goneskiian'][quote]unrelated, but a very sweet S40r... [/quote] Not sure if you really believe that's an S40R or if that was just a typo, but the big red painted letters and numbers say that's an S60R. :wink: :) :lol: -Ian[/quote] Yes, it was a typo. There is no 'official' S40r project according to Volvo at this time.

It won't be nearly as good as a Legacy, but there may be many people who will pass up the Legacy based on perceived image alone. This is where Subaru's advertising and hopeful accolades will help. If I couldn't get a Legacy for some reason, I would get a G35 or maybe V50. They just don't have the bang for the buck that the base Legacy has, and I'm betting that the Legacy automatic kicks the others' tails for enthusiast driving. This is somewhat important since automatics are sold much more than sticks.

[quote name='tallguylehigh']But, I could see a C&D comparo down the line with the S40 AWD, G35x, 3-series AWD and Legacy AWD. Should be interesting, but as for me, the Leggy took it in this face off. :D[/quote] Ha, I can't wait to see comparison articles like that! Should be really interesting and will probably open a few eyes. I would also like to see a comparo with non AWD cars, otherwise I'm afraid subies will continue to be viewed as a niche vehicle for people that need AWD for snow or whatnot. For a comparo with non AWD cars, what do you think a mag would pick? G35, TL, 3-series? Or are those too upscale? Accord, Camry, Maxima? Or will they pick the Outback and compare it to small SUV's?

If they're going to compare the LegGT, they're not going to compare the Outback to those models. They MAY compare the Outback to the small SUVs and the FXT would actually fit well in the same comparo, but the Leg will likely find it's own comparison. In the past it recieved decent marks although they did get nocks about it being slow, which is remedied and so much more!

Over weight Under powered Over priced Having said that it will be okay to drive if they keep the euro suspension settings otherwise forget about it and look elsewhere. Assuming the new Leg is everything we all think it is the Volvo will fall way short. A nice car to buy your grandmother if you win the lottery.

[quote name='Gumby']Over weight Under powered Over priced Having said that it will be okay to drive if they keep the euro suspension settings otherwise forget about it and look elsewhere. Assuming the new Leg is everything we all think it is the Volvo will fall way short. A nice car to buy your grandmother if you win the lottery.[/quote] Grandma "Granny" the Street Racer
-ben

[quote name='Gumby']Over weight Under powered Over priced Having said that it will be okay to drive if they keep the euro suspension settings otherwise forget about it and look elsewhere. Assuming the new Leg is everything we all think it is the Volvo will fall way short. A nice car to buy your grandmother if you win the lottery.[/quote] Pretty harsh comments towards the Volvo, how can you be so sure?

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='Gumby'] Over weight Under powered Over priced [/quote] Compared to the Leg I think those criticisms hold up, it might be superior in some ways.... I didn't mention maintenance expenses, how does a couple of bills for rear pads at 15kmiles sound? And fronts at 30K? We're talking a car driven by my wife with kids onboard. Is scheduled maintenance included, I hope so based on what my V40 cost over the 3 1/2 years I had it? Somehow I don't think the new car will be cheaper to maintain, and I won't talk about the lead-balloon depreciation.

Weight: What is the Weight of the LegGT supposed to be? Because the FWD S40 T5 is listed at 3,140. Pretty good in my opinion. PRICE: I think that $26,500 is a great price. I would not need Leather or the surround sound speakers. So the options on my T5 would be limited! The only thing that I do want is the Euro Sports package: Side Skirts, Front/Rear Valance and 18" rims ($3000) TOTAL PRICE: $29000....list price) We all know that if you pay MSRP you have no spine! You have to bargain and negotiate as close to Envoice as possible! ADRGT

No, this new generation comes with a manual. But I won't even consider the S40... too small, and it's FWD. No FWD for me. And the Haldex system is not as performance oriented as Subaru's. It behaves like a FWD car until it sends power to the rear, unlike Subie's 50/50 split and LSD in the rear. (in fact, I wish the Subie was more rear biased... 40/60 or 35/65) No thanks for me and the Volvo.

I'm in agreement there Dave, although it might make it a little unsettling for some that are used to the 50:50 or FWD splits or some others and many current models, but that's just some. I'd be happy with more rear bias though. :) I'll agree the S40 cars are the three things listed above. I think the Legacy is a much better value for the money and is more affordable in the long term especially. AWD is invaluable. I won't allow my performance/street driven car without it (unless I was in the warm climates of the south 99% of the time, then it would be RWD.) Subaru AWD, it just works. :cool:

[quote name='"Gumby"'][quote name='Gumby'] I didn't mention maintenance expenses, how does a couple of bills for rear pads at 15kmiles sound? And fronts at 30K? We're talking a car driven by my wife with kids onboard. Is scheduled maintenance included, I hope so based on what my V40 cost over the 3 1/2 years I had it? Somehow I don't think the new car will be cheaper to maintain, and I won't talk about the lead-balloon depreciation.[/quote] The new S40 is built on the same platform as the Mazda 3 and the new Focus (mentioned previously). While the drivetrain in the car is all Volvo, I would think this consolidation of resources would result in lower maintenance costs. Maybe that is wishful thinking. I had personally given the S40 real consideration, but after comparing known aspects of it, against the new Leg, I quickly found I preferred the Subaru.

[quote name='racerdave']No, this new generation comes with a manual.[/quote] Are you sure about that? I can't find any mention of a manual S40. If it does have a manual gearbox I'd certainly give this car some thought.

Archived