LegacyGT.com

Question: How restrictive are Stock Cans?

acooper5

From observing other threads modding the stock mufflers with an aftermarket mid and y would probably close the gap even more ;)

It's seems doubtful. I'd guess the pipe diameter is the restriction. Destroying the baffle probably just increases sound. I think the main issue is going to be making sure you're running the best timing and wastegate for these changes.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have also been looking for some active silencer tips for the cobbs similar to this:

http://www.nengun.com/apexi/active-tail-silencer

But, the Cobb tips are oval. If I can fit these silencers inside the tips onto the round tube inside the tips, it could work. Does anyone know if these will fit inside the Cobb muffler tips or if another similar silencer will work?

I really love the quiet and would love to keep it. With the tips, one could stay sleepy until you hit the gas - then :eek:--->:)

Ok, this ought to be fun. I dyno'd today with the stock cans - No retune, same dyno, different day so obviously different temp, atmos. press....

I have a DB 20G LGT fit running with meth (-20 deg washer fluid) to about 20psi at 5500 ft, EcuTek tune by Ben himself, perrin up, cobb turbo back to mufflers. Everything else the same:

With Cobb mufflers: 309whp/340wtq

With Stock mufflers: 288whp/294wtq

Wow, maybe I wont sell the xo cans ? Think with stock turbo results would be similiar?

Jim

Wow, maybe I wont sell the xo cans ? Think with stock turbo results would be similiar?

Jim

I agree. I don't think you would see such a loss with the stock turbo. But, if you don't need to sell the xo cans, don't. I would keep them if you plan to upgrade down the road. As, I mentioned, 30 min to bolt up the high flow mufflers if I want the power back. If I take a long road trip - on go the stockers.

I'm so pissed, I've had to work all weekend supporting a customer going live with our software. I haven't had time to go get ramps and put on my stockers, I'll have to continue my granny drving for another week. I got tailed for a good 4 or 5 miles last night going the speed limit, I assume I was followed because of the exhaust, I hope the cop got a headache from driving behind me with my catless fumes.:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
I've got the X02 mid and Y-pipes mated to an Invidia catted DP.

Any problems with fitment of either the Invidia or the XO2 for you Legacy_GT_Pilot? Seems some people have big problems with the Invidia, others have none. Seems everyone has problems with the XO2 alignment, but maybe not with the stock cans?

I concur, the XO2 midpipe lines up perfectly with the oem cans

me 2!

kind of curious lately on the power difference though. Car has a subtle, but DEFENITELY not stock sound to it with headers, dp, up and the xo2 mid and y, with stock cans. I just know that because I have a wagon I will really nitice the drone on the highway. I dont like that at all since I do drive a lot of highway. And anyway a lot of people at the track and even in the street said the car has a really nice sound to it.

We'l see what I do :)

Who needs tickets to the gun show?:eek:

I have no problems with either of my Invidia downpipes. I had a catless first that fit well with the XO2 stuff, and then went to a catted Invidia when I put the stock cans back on (with the X02 mid and Y-pipes). Again no problems at all with fitment.

Any problems with fitment of either the Invidia or the XO2 for you Legacy_GT_Pilot? Seems some people have big problems with the Invidia, others have none. Seems everyone has problems with the XO2 alignment, but maybe not with the stock cans?

________

HONDA INSPIRE SPECIFICATIONS

• 2 weeks later...
Previously, it appeared the stock cans greatly decreased my HP and TQ. But, today I dynoed again and it came in at 307whp/320whp (down from 309whp/340wtq using cobb cans). So, the stock cans are not as bad as it appeared earlier.

Dyno.1_18_08.thumb.jpg.924b95de98bdd5a678c4af8299207533.jpg

I went to stock cans+perrin y.. When it gets colder than 30F I hit boost-cut, (original tune for stock cat-back) had to turn down the initial wastegate duties. (save me the lecture on PID control, please) So just replacing the mid/y does do something. Don't know if the butt-dyno can really tell, although I think I probably started losing power with that much boost on the stock turbo.

I agree. I don't think you would see such a loss with the stock turbo. But, if you don't need to sell the xo cans, don't. I would keep them if you plan to upgrade down the road. As, I mentioned, 30 min to bolt up the high flow mufflers if I want the power back. If I take a long road trip - on go the stockers.

The reason I think Ill be going with Megan racing Single Tip catback with silencers taht i can swap on.

Previously, it appeared the stock cans greatly decreased my HP and TQ. But, today I dynoed again and it came in at 307whp/320whp (down from 309whp/340wtq using cobb cans). So, the stock cans are not as bad as it appeared earlier.

If you could overlay both runs that would be sweet :)

Archived