LegacyGT.com

Cool Article about the 05 SCCA wagons floating around still.. :)

When I called Steam, they said the nameless team bought 2 turbos. They pulled the first turbo and checked it after each of the first 6 races. Never had problems, so they stopped pulling it and it ran all season. Never had to use the spare.

Gex gave me & Kip a ride in his wagon. Alas, I couldn't fool him into letting me drive. We compared turbos afterwards. Mine is a 10cm wheel with a 2.5inch input. His has a 8cm wheel with a 3inch input. Based on existing videos and the butt dyno, Gex's seems to have more oomph. Also seemed more like the memories of my track wagon (which are pretty faded at this point).

I've sold the Cavali turbo to Kip for his rebuild, so I'll find out shortly which one of us got the better end of that deal. He should be done with the tune by the end of the month.

Found a link to a sequential shift setup for the 6mt - https://www.xshiftgearboxes.com/race-gearboxes/subaru-sequential-gearbox-sti-r4-plus-6-speed

Recaro seat slider & seat upgrade project stalled when the sliders didn't slide on the seat brackets. Had to upgrade to the full Planted solution which requires modification to the car to make it fit. The slides only moved 1/4 inch due to the poor placement of the seat bracket to body mounting bolt.

You'd think after working on 3 previous racecars, I'd understand a used racecar means "I'm getting rid of this because the bone-headed stuff I did in a hurry to get on track is making me crazy now that I need it to work right".

• 3 weeks later...

Boxkita I thought you might find this interesting:

This 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi is one of two vehicles converted into race cars by the factory backed Subaru Road Race Team (SRRT) when new. This example competed in the IMSA Continential Tire Sports Car Challenge GS class for the 2010 season and was purchased directly from SRRT by seller Greg Georgiadis in 2013.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2008-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-2/

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

"Power comes from a turbocharged 2.5L flat-four that utilizes forged internals,"

"Grand Am made significant allowances for the inclusion of this car into competition. The STI was one of the only teams in the whole series that were allowed to legally run replacement pistons...."

Anyone know what pistons they run? Nearly every little thing was called out but the pistons and rods. 2618 or 4032 ?

Bid placed by "Gatorvette" ? Wasn't that the winner of an 818 recently?

Regarding the Pistons used, email Joe Aquilante. He'll tell you. The build thread for my black wagon has the alloy I used which was based on info from Joe. I forget, but it was not the popular choice. Warm up takes forever, however, it ran all day at high rpm without failure. For street use, buy street parts.

Gator did you slip, fall and buy another race car????

That is a great deal for that car. Those camber plates look familiar. Same that’s on the race wagon. What were they called again?

Got my wagon back yesterday. I will update my thread later with the details...right now I got to go walk the streets tryin to turn tricks to pay my bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Power comes from a turbocharged 2.5L flat-four that utilizes forged internals,"

"Grand Am made significant allowances for the inclusion of this car into competition. The STI was one of the only teams in the whole series that were allowed to legally run replacement pistons...."

Anyone know what pistons they run? Nearly every little thing was called out but the pistons and rods. 2618 or 4032 ?

I was bored. Found this old post: https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4955738&postcount=262

SUBARU EJ257 BILLET FSR

JE Pistons is proud to release the first billet racing pistons for Subaru EJ257 engines! Originally created for the Crawford Performance Unlimited AWD Time Attack Subaru and Ken Block's Gymkhana racecar, these pistons are now available to the public. The new pistons are 100% CNC machined from high quality 2618-T6 wrought aluminum bar stock and are specifically designed for high horsepower road and drag race engines. The pistons feature internal and external bracing for improved durability and strength. A unique "donut dish" crown and application-specific under crown profile properly redistributes heat and reduces stress concentrations experienced in high horsepower Subaru engines. Unlike forged pistons, the billet pistons are machined on every surface allowing for all unnecessary weight to be removed during manufacturing. The result of this new process is a weight reduction of up to 32 grams compared to other piston designs! High quality 9310 steel wrist pins and JE Pro Seal Rings are included. For severe racing applications, upgraded Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) coated wrist pins are available.

• 100% CNC machined billet piston
  • Specifically designed for high horsepower Subaru racing engines up to 1200hp
  • Only 392 grams! Up to 32 grams lighter than other aftermarket pistons
  • Manufactured from high quality, certified 2618-T6 aluminum alloy

• Internal and external strut braces
  • Premium 9310 steel wrist pins included (.905 x 2.250"), DLC upgrade available
  • JE Pro Seal Piston Rings Included (1.2, 1.2, 2.5mm)
  • Tru Arc locks for easy installation

Seriously? Nice! That's what I have in my block. "JE Pistons SUB STI EJ257+10 KIT / 3927-3110-5138-1209 99.75mm bore standard stroke. "

Close but not quite.

https://www.jepistons.com/Catalogs/Sport-Compact/Subaru/ej257-billet.aspx

Billet is 99.5 or 100mm. Custom made billet. 1399$

https://www.jepistons.com/Products/310927.aspx

SUB 8.8:1 BILLET KIT 3917-3110-5137-1210 STD

You got the 2618 forged aluminum pistons. Which are not billet. Unless you were truly flogging your car (rally) or running "Stormtrooper" power levels, you'd never know. Rally motors get a rebuild every 400 miles or so.

Gator did you slip, fall and buy another race car????

That is a great deal for that car. Those camber plates look familiar. Same that’s on the race wagon. What were they called again?

Got my wagon back yesterday. I will update my thread later with the details...right now I got to go walk the streets tryin to turn tricks to pay my bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, no! Although I have been making some designs for two bespoke Colonel Red Racing cars using Subaru drivetrains. Those won't be happening until I retire though. Well maybe I'll start putting them in CAD....

The camber plates are Mooresport (MSI). Rallysport Direct sells them.

More goodies here: https://www.mooresport.com/en/suppliers# Click on Motorsports Parts.

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
So my motor is going to see the light of day again?

Yes, it will. It's been on the cradle waiting for the parts to hook up to the AN fuel system. I had a shop check it out...its probably good for a day or two.

The heads were pulled to check for issues and found some (see pic). Put on new HG & TB, added a killerB pan & windage tray. Put it back together as is. Probably wasted my money in the process. however, it only has to run long enough to get the suspension sorted out and get pics on the track. If it can make onto to the starting grid, so much the better.

CylinderScoring.thumb.jpg.199b3296a3498fccbd29ce8480c0982b.jpg

Edited by boxkita

Everything is about managing expectations. Do that well in this arena, and you'll have sponsors lining up to give you their money. ;)
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -