LegacyGT.com

Extended Warranty

They will tell you that 90% of people that has extended warranty uses it. Well of course they would, something is bound to need fixing within 100,000 miles. Now the better question is do 90% of people think it's worth the $1300 or whatever that they paid up front? My take on this is that they are trying to sell you the extended warranty because they are making money on it. What this means is that on average people that has extended warranty don't get their money's worth of repairs done under warranty. There are going to be exceptions but on average you will be better off saving your money. But if you like the piece of mind then by all means go for the warranty.

The stats are well against you'll ever collect even the $1300 you paid for it in repairs. They don't sell warranties to lose money.

However if it makes you feel better & more comfortable buy it. Personally I would open an higher interest savings account and deposit your $1300 there.

$1300 is pretty cheap compared to the extended warranties I've gotten for BMW's and MB's (at least twice as much). Extended warranties are pretty much a must have for German cars.

What does the warranty cover? Read the fine print carefully to see what isn't covered. Is there a deductible? Can you cancel it at any time and get some of your money back?

If you don't work on your own cars it might be worth it. Luckily if anything breaks the repairs usually don't cost too much (relatively speaking).

also do you have the money now will you later? if your well off just pay for it later. if your just getting out of college like me and cant afford tohave somthign major break in the next few years becaues you wont have the money to fix it the 1300 is a good idea to drop now. they probably do 1300 dollars of work on a warantee. they just take all those 1300s from all over the world, put them in an investment and make 7 or 8 % interest on them, enough to offset the things they need to fix while keeping customers loyal to the brand even when things break

they probably do 1300 dollars of work on a warantee. they just take all those 1300s from all over the world, put them in an investment and make 7 or 8 % interest on them, enough to offset the things they need to fix while keeping customers loyal to the brand even when things break

Wow. Would you like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge? Boy, do I got a great deal for you. :lol:

You do know that the dealers get a commission when they sell the extended warranty right?

Hey Guys,

My car is coming up on 36,000 and they are pushing me to do an extended warranty.

Is it worth the 1300 for 4 years and 100000 miles?

Have you used yours----have you had any issues collecting on yours?

Well, let's put it this way: I've never had anything go wrong w/ my '05 OBXTL 'cept for a leaky windshield gasket (replaced under warranty at like 31k miles) and a bad O2 sensor which failed at 46k. One would think that diagnosing a bad O2 sensor would consist of maybe 30 mins diagnostic time, a new sensor + install. Not so. My dealer (who'd been great 'till that point) charged me almost 2 hours of diagnostic time and $140 for the part, totalling $340. Apparently, they wanted to do a "full scan" of my OBD to make sure no other sensor were failing. Yeah, b.s. if I've ever heard it.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is: Even if only simply things like O2 sensors start going wrong with your car--never mind anything major, it'll add up pretty quickly. As long as the warranty you're getting has a low or no deductible, it might not be a bad thing--especially if you're still making payments on your car, and plan on keeping it for a while.

It's not that I believe these cars are unreliable, but I now question at least my dealer's "judgement" when it comes to even simple repairs. If I had a scan tool, I could've done this myself for about $120. No one likes a car payment + repair payment.

Just my $.02.

Cheers,

Tim G.

We just bought an 05 LGT LTD with 37,500 on it from a Sub dealer. I looked at the warrenty as a must have for a couple of reasons. 1 the 05 is the first year of a new body/engine for the Legacy, 2 it's my wife's car and her being able to take it to any dealer at any time is a big piece of mind for me. Yes, the car will be paid for in a couple of years but I plan on having the car for more than a couple of years and 1500 bucks for me to have the car covered for 100000miles bumper to bumper seems well worth it. Or perhaps it's the fact that I have work to do on my bimmer on a monthly basis and I really wanted not to get into that with another car, hmmm. But I really do love my M.

Here's my two cents...

First, shop around for the best price. You can buy the warranty from any dealer in the country. I think there is a vendor on here that posted in the marketplace section that they sell the warranties for cost +$150. So it should be easy to find the lowest price.

Second, I've been to the dealer twice (i've had my 05 legacy for 2 months) and both times I heard the service advisor stating to someone else that the part in question was not covered by the exteneded warranty. I've also looked at the brochure and noticed that major parts are not covered. I can't remeber exactly the parts, but I think remember things like the ac condensor, compressor, reciever\dryer were not covered in the ac section. So I think basically you wind up buying a warranty to cover the less expensive parts like hoses, and ancillary equipment rather than major items.

Third, remember that if you keep the $1300 in the bank and use it for repairs, you don't have to use the dealer. If you have a trustworthy mechanic you can save big $$$ over using the dealer.

I originally was going to buy the extended warranty but after looking at the parts covered, I think I'm going to skip it. I'll update this post with more itmes not covered if I find that brochure.

Matt

Wow. Would you like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge? Boy, do I got a great deal for you. :lol:

You do know that the dealers get a commission when they sell the extended warranty right?

not following u? yes I know they get a commission.

not following u? yes I know they get a commission.

What I'm trying to say is that they sell extended warranty for one reason and one reason only, to make money. Your post suggests that Subaru sells extended warranty to maintain the good name of the brand or maybe out of goodness of their heart. Do not for one minute believe their we are the company that cares commercials. And if you do I got a Brooklyn Bridge for sale. :lol:

I got the very hard sell on the extended warranty too. When I pressed the salesman about it and the quality of the cars I got a more reasonable answer.

He stated that the people who really use the X-warrany tend to be the owners who simply drop their cars off at the dealer for every little thing that crops up whether it would be warranty or not. He also says that very few "Real" problems crop up after the normal warranty has expired. If it is going to go wrong, it will probably do it while the car is new or near new. I declined the X-warranty and he gave me a wink with a "Good choice";) I guess there are some honest salesmen at the dealerships.:)

well I am one those who really do not buy the ext warranties but let me say I'm glad I had one on my toyota tacoma. I ended up spining a bearing and they rebuilt my whole bottom end under warranty and replace the water pump so I got my monies worth. But I dont have one on the Legacy and I am considering it

Archived