LegacyGT.com

OH Yes it is back, the BMW M6.

[url]http://www.germancarfans.com/photos.cfm/photoid/3041213.002/bmw/1.html[/url] I love the way it has come along as an M model, will be using hte same 507hp 5l V10 from the M5.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

I saw an pristine old school M6 on a trailer while driving a few weeks ago. I'm proud to say I that as I passed them I slowed down on I-29 and held up traffic in the fast lane for a few moments to get a good look. Now that's a cool car.

Guest JessterCPA
[quote name='Drift Monkey']Banglized...ugh.[/QUOTE] True, but I think this is the best one yet. Too bad the 3-series reverts back to ugly.

I'd say drive it before you try to claim at as not a sports car, also BMW can build a true sports car as we have all seen, this is merely and ultra exclusive luxury sports car not a barebones type design. I still think it would thrill if the most cold hearted of drivers.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

people managed to have a good time on the track int he e39 m5 which was heavier. if they had skipped all the high tech and luxo items to keep the weight down, nobody would buy it. the buyers will be 50 year old guys who want something that will haul ass to the country club.

[quote name='wunderkind']They should make an MZ4 coupe someday.... Is it me or is the Z4 roadster's sale on the decline?[/QUOTE] they are testing a Z4 M... so keep your fingers crossed ;) as for sales, im gonna guess they are doing fine. these new bangle designed cars (eg z4, x3) although have been dissed many times over everywhere, they are doing surprisingly well.

[quote name='grimbeaver']they are testing a Z4 M... so keep your fingers crossed ;) as for sales, im gonna guess they are doing fine. these new bangle designed cars (eg z4, x3) although have been dissed many times over everywhere, they are doing surprisingly well.[/QUOTE] i beg to differ with you and have the sales number to back up my assertion. z4 sales have "fallen off a cliff" and e65 7 series sales are in the tank. e60 5 series sales, for an all new model, have not even surpassed the e39 in its last sales year (check automotive news this past week where YTD sales numbers were published). and anything that weighs that much is no longer a sports car. it is a GT. people i have run into at the track have not been fond of the OEM brakes, tires or clutch on the e39 m5. this car should handle better than the e39 m5, but my main point is: this car will cost $90,000 and not do a single thing better than a $75k 997 911 carrera. the 911 just does not need that much horsepower because it only weighs 3000 pounds.

it is amazing what suspension technology will let you get away with. a nigh-on-two-ton car that handles. At a certain point the laws of physics will win, and that will be that. It is like computers. When memory was a scarce commodity, programs had to be written in a pared down and performance oriented way, now with more RAM and Processing power than people dreamed of 10 years ago, and excessive tracts of open hard disk platters, programmers can add all kinds of pork to their programs without penalty, but it is more prone to memory leaks, unhandled exceptions, and crashing. There is no free lunch. A 3900 pound porker needs 500hp to be competetive, and huge wheels for huge brakes, and more this and more that. And I have never been a convert to Bangle's new aesthetic. The M cars are looking cluttered. The regular BMWs just look odd. I'll drive a car, rather than an art museum exhibit, thanks. I'd buy a Porsche of almost any stripe before a bangle'd bmw. The only things I can say I really really like are the side mirrors (I liked em on the M5, too. The dark panels on the undersides should be Electro-luminescent panels that flash as indicators. I like the CF roof. Probably saved a hundred pounds so the curb weight wouldn't start with a '4'. I also like BMW's engines, more precisely the individual throttles just upstream from the valves.Maybe Subaru could adopt something like that on a flat engine, and get the engine height even lower than it already is. [non-serious hypothetical] Is there any way we can put a CF roof on a Legacy Sedan? Or those mirrors? I want those, but I want them on a Legacy STi. [/non-serious hypothetical]

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan']it is amazing what suspension technology will let you get away with. a nigh-on-two-ton car that handles. At a certain point the laws of physics will win, and that will be that. It is like computers. When memory was a scarce commodity, programs had to be written in a pared down and performance oriented way, now with more RAM and Processing power than people dreamed of 10 years ago, and excessive tracts of open hard disk platters, programmers can add all kinds of pork to their programs without penalty, but it is more prone to memory leaks, unhandled exceptions, and crashing. There is no free lunch. A 3900 pound porker needs 500hp to be competetive, and huge wheels for huge brakes, and more this and more that. And I have never been a convert to Bangle's new aesthetic. The M cars are looking cluttered. The regular BMWs just look odd. I'll drive a car, rather than an art museum exhibit, thanks. I'd buy a Porsche of almost any stripe before a bangle'd bmw. The only things I can say I really really like are the side mirrors (I liked em on the M5, too. The dark panels on the undersides should be Electro-luminescent panels that flash as indicators. I like the CF roof. Probably saved a hundred pounds so the curb weight wouldn't start with a '4'. I also like BMW's engines, more precisely the individual throttles just upstream from the valves.Maybe Subaru could adopt something like that on a flat engine, and get the engine height even lower than it already is. [non-serious hypothetical] Is there any way we can put a CF roof on a Legacy Sedan? Or those mirrors? I want those, but I want them on a Legacy STi. [/non-serious hypothetical][/QUOTE] i'm definitely firmly in your camp. the analogy was quite apt. the overwhelming presence of HP does try to hide the other areas of slop such as weight & not up to what i consider BMW interior quality (please, someone compare the new 5 or new 6 interior with the e39 and try to tell me they are not ripping people off).

The face almost looks cheerful, I think I prefer the more aggressive look of the M5. I like the stout wheels and defined wheel wells. The trunk gives it the look of strange sea animal like some of the sharks with portruding lobes above the nose but between the eyes. I can't get past those tail-lights, it reminds me too much of the Toyota Solara. All in all I think that they already scored with the looks of the new M5.

[quote name='lemming']i beg to differ with you and have the sales number to back up my assertion. z4 sales have "fallen off a cliff" and e65 7 series sales are in the tank. e60 5 series sales, for an all new model, have not even surpassed the e39 in its last sales year (check automotive news this past week where YTD sales numbers were published).[/QUOTE] i duno, i'm getting my info from a British magazine so maybe some numbers are different. And i think my numbers are a bit more general. But here is what it says anyways: "In western Europe sales increased by a very impressive 7.5 per cent during the first half of 2004, making it the only European company which can remotely compete with the upsurge enjoyed by Korean (plus 22.3 per cent) and Japanese (plus 12.1 per cent) offerings... Even the often sneered-at 7-series is slowly but surely turning into a success story. In the first six months BMW managed to shift 23, 675 cars worldwide (plus 8.2 per cent), which is not far off the S-class figure (27, 425) and streets ahead of the Audi A8's (11, 170)... This is certainly one of the secrets behind the 5-series' ascendancy (plus 50 per cent)... BMW's new X3, on the other hand, proves that sometimes you can convince people neither by love nor money to sign on the dotted line."

here is a snapshot for you: cars YTD 2004 (BMW): 171,488; YTD 2003 (BMW): 184,090 trucks YTD 2004 (BMW): 63,109 versus YTD 2003 (BMW): 35,859 in general, it means that although the z4 is new, the 7 series is in its second year and the 5 series is all new, sales are soft and the only new seller is the ultimate badgewhore-mobile, the x3. all of this data is free access at [url]www.automotivenews.com[/url] and look for "data center" and you can find the PDF files for the sales as well as production figures. the new styling is not working out hence the conservative look of the e90. (whew).

Archived