LegacyGT.com

security indicator light flashing

finked

i suspect there's a simple answer to this, but the manual seems unclear to me (and doesn't make much sense). i turn the motor off and remove the key, get out of the car, lock the doors and then i can see the security indicator light flashing, two flashes every two seconds or so just as the manual states. but it keeps on flashing this way, apparently continuously until i get back to the car and get in and turn the key to start the car again. so my question: is this normal? to have that security indicator light keep flashing [b][color=red][u]all the time the car is parked[/u][/color][/b]. should it, for instance, keep flashing all night long in my garage. right now it seems to, and i'm afraid of it eventually draining the battery (yeah, i know, it could take a long time to do that, but, hey, it could happen, couldn't it?). or, to put it another way, is there something i haven't done that i should do to stop the light from continually flashing (outside of deactivating the security system altogether). all the manual says is that "the security indicator light deters potential thieves by indicating that the vehicle is equipped with an immobilzer system. it begins flashing about 60 seconds after the ignition switch is turned from the "ON" position to the "ACC" or "LOCK" position or immediately after the key is pulled out." does this mean that the system, once activated, really IS supposed to make the security indicator light flash continuously until i get back into the car and turn the engine on? and if that is correct, is there any simple way to TEMPORARILY DEACTIVATE the system when i park the car in my garage overnight (maybe just by simply NOT locking the doors at all)? or shouldn't i worry about the light causing the battery to run down? i know. i sound like an idiot. but the last new car i had was over ten years ago, and it didn't have any of these fancy new "bells and whistles" and so, while i'm trying to figure them out, i FEEL like an idiot ... :D thanks for any help you can give me.

[quote name='some6uy008']I made a blinking LED powered by 2 AA batteries (I was bored) and it's been blinking for 3years now, so I don't think you need to worry.[/QUOTE] I know there was a CD released several years ago that had a blinking LED in the packaging and that blinked for years as well....

Pink Floyd's Pulse album. My grandfather has an IC board with a 9v battery, and a blinking LED, and it has been blinking for decades. LEDs take anywhere from 5-14 volts or something. More importantly they take almost nil amps. A blinking LED, which it is very likely to be, would not drain your battery by itself if left to blink for the life of the car, most likely. maintaining the clock in the radio (or wherever it is on the Legacy) probably takes more power, and still almost none. Let me put it another way: If your battery has trouble starting your car after sitting overnight, you have charging or battery problems anyway, and you need to replace the battery, or have the car serviced, anyway. It isn't ever going to be that little blinking LED that causes it.

Pink Floyd's Pulse album. My grandfather has an IC board with a 9v battery, and a blinking LED, and it has been blinking for decades. LEDs take anywhere from 5-14 volts or something. More importantly they take almost nil amps. A blinking LED, which it is very likely to be, would not drain your battery by itself if left to blink for the life of the car, most likely. maintaining the clock in the radio (or wherever it is on the Legacy) probably takes more power, and still almost none. Let me put it another way: If your battery has trouble starting your car after sitting overnight, you have charging or battery problems anyway, and you need to replace the battery, or have the car serviced, anyway. It isn't ever going to be that little blinking LED that causes it.

OK, so i'm no longer worried about my battery. thanks ... ;) but i'd still like to know this, is the "always-on" state of the security indicator light normal? the only time the indicator light isn't lit is when i'm driving the car (i.e., when the key is in the ignition switch). is it really a standard subaru practice that whenever the key is NOT in the switch, the security indicator light is activated and flashing? that just seems strange to me.

Archived