LegacyGT.com

heard a new M3 purr tonight!

sitting at a red light in the turn lane. its dark. I barely notice it pull up right next to me. the only thing that catches my eye are the enlarged grill vents on the front fender near the doors. I look for the distinctive hood bulge but I can't see it. but I think I recognize what it is.

light turns green. I roll slowly to allow him to accelerate past me. you could hear the purring right from the get-go. he doesn't accelerate hard but good enough to jump ahead about 2 car lengths. Thank God, I had my window rolled down about 4 inches.

What an incredible, wonderful sound. Beautiful V-8 gurgle with a high-pitched raspiness. Love at first sound. Amazing song. :wub:

For the money, it would be hard to spend as much since the pending Nissan GT-R is in the same range. I can't wait for the chance to hear its musical tone.

But tonight......I'm a happy man! :p

so Legacy is not king of cars? What about turbo whine?

that's why I'm looking forward to hearing firsthand the sound of the new twin-turboed Nissan GT-R. I bet it will have an awesome sound. Frankly, I feel that the regular Nissan 350Z/Infiniti G35 Coupe makes a beautiful exhaust sound.

Gotta love the V8 M3 or RS4 purring....

;-)

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Was alongside an RS4 for a couple of lights (in my Suburban, lol) last weekend. Sounded even better than the 03 RS6 (which I am quite familiar with.) Sick!

I think we all know it's really about the SRT-4... :lol:

hey, those can sound pretty wicked too. played around with one just yesterday with an aftermarket exhaust. Lots of backfires and popping sounds in addition to the loudest BOV I've ever heard.

I must say however, that it was more difficult to enjoy the SRT-4 sounds when its 3-4 cars back! ;)

Honestly, if I had to pick an engine noise that I love... SBC. All the way. so the new m3 would be pretty close to that...right? :)

With the right exhaust maybe....I don't know if the firing order is the same though.

it's impressive on paper no doubt.

but i am starting to wonder why purchase it.

the 335 with a chip will most likely at least run with it no problem. at almost 20k less, what would i be missing besides the limited slip?

with the new gt-r promising great things...why even look at the m3? cayman? etc...

yeah, surprisingly, BMW uses the same bullshit "brake assist" system to "manage wheel spin." That's codespeak for rapid application of braking force to the spinning inside wheel sorta like ABS. Whoever heard of using the brakes to improve corner exit speed? :confused:

^335 doesn't have a limited slip?

It doesn't.. but after the second track day, I got over it... hardly even whine about it no' mo'.. like my (current) wife, there are soooo many other fine qualities it has as a daily commuter, that I can overlook a little slippage from time to time.

The exhaust note downstream of the twins going through the tunnel on the downshift every day comes to mind..

Archived