LegacyGT.com

Argh... P0065 is killing me

Hello all,

Hope everyone is well. I've asked some questions on here before and have received some great help, so I wanted to thank the forum in advance. It's a great resource.

I need some more advice, however. I've got a 2002 Legacy GT with a shade over 78k on it. At about 71k my check engine light came on. I went out and bought a OBD2 reader and pulled a P0065 (Air assist injector solenoid malfunction). At the same time I noticed there was a fuel leak at the fuel filter so I repaired that, cleared the code and drove. A few thousand miles later, CEL popped again. Pulled the code, P0065. At that time I pulled the Air assist injector solenoid and cleaned it out, and also cleaned out the air lines that connect to it (there was no gunk inside). CEL popped about 600 miles later. P0065 again. This time I installed a brand new genuine Subaru Air assist injector solenoid assembly and reset the ECU. The CEL popped again after about 500 miles! P0065! What is going on?

I've read somewhere the these ECUs may have a bug and the P0065 is an error code? My car did seem to idle better when I replaced the assembly and it's still idling as well after this last CEL.

If anyone has any advice or pointers I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much and have a good one!

You need a new Air assist injector solenoid, IIRC it is located behind the power steering pump and is bolted to a mount on the intake manifold runners, it's got a dark purple electrical connector and two small rubber lines connected to it.

Replace it, have the CEL cleared and you'll be good.

I actually did replace the solenoid and the entire assembly. That's why I'm so confused as to why this CEL keeps happening. I called the Subie dealership here and he said there are no open recalls on my car, indicating it's not an ECU issue.

I do have an aftermarket air intake and K&N air filter. He mentioned that could be throwing off a reading from the sensor?

Thanks for the recommendation on NASIOC. Will try that next. Thanks all!

Archived