LegacyGT.com

nice deal on Nokian Hakka 2's for 17" rims

lekmedm

Just moments ago I ordered a set of 225/55R17 Nokian Hakkapelliita 2 tires that usually run for $227 per tire for only $182 each! :cool:

http://www.tirefactory.net/Hakkapeliitta%202.htm

Give Jack a call and mention that you're a Subaru owner.

Hurry, hurry!!! :spin:

I forgot to mention free shipping!

Edit: I just realized I pasted in the wrong website where I bought the tires. They came from the Tire Factory, and the link has been corrected.

Just moments ago I ordered a set of 225/55R17 Nokian Hakkapelliita 2 tires that usually run for $227 per tire for only $182 each! :cool:

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/pc-5171-128-nokian-hakkapeliitta-2.aspx

The website does not reflect the pricing I got today.

Give Jack a call and mention that you're a Subaru owner.

Hurry, hurry!!! :spin:

I forgot to mention free shipping!

So, have you gotten them yet? Was curious to hear how they looked and drove being that they're a "T" speed rating. Heh, probably handle about as well as my "Z" rated Falken summer treads :)

I had an old set of studded Hakka Q's which I used to run on an old 5 Series during the winter, but that was my only experience with Nokians. Really wished there was a Nokian distributer close to us than either Michegan or Upstate NY or VT....I just have this thing about being able to see the tires before I buy them--you know...especially since it costs a small fortune to buy decent tires these days, and I've been disappointed before.

Fyi, I'm just over the hill from you in Bloomsbury. Do you make that lovely daily commute on i-78, too?

Cheers,

Tim G.

Howdy neighbor! :)

Yep, the new tires were shipped the same day and arrived on Monday!

I've had a set of these tires before on my wife's 1998 Outback. (As a side note, I am selling that set of wheels with the Hakka 2 tires as soon as I finish cleaning up the rims.) I think these tires are fantastic. I don't have any experience with other winter tires, but I can say that they are relatively quiet, hold the road well on dry and wet pavement for the kind of driving we do, which can be spirited at times, they are absolutely jaw-droppingly awesome in snow (story to follow), and wear really well. I had those tires on for two winter seasons, and they show minimal wear when I compare them to the new ones that just arrived.

If you'd like to check them out, give your local STS Tires a call and see if they have any in stock you can look at. My first set came from the STS in Clinton.

I think the price really throws people off when it comes to these tires. Of course, the bigger the rim diameter, the bigger the price. My set for the 15" rims ran around $128 per tire while for the 17" they list at $227. I was about to order the RSi's ($182/ea), which is also supposed to be a great tire, but when I was told I can have the Hakka 2's for the same price, well, that was that! So on to the story I promised...

In February 2006 during that Saturday night we had out last big snow, my wife had to be out and was coming home very late in her Sooby-dooby-doo on I-78. Well, the snow was coming down had enough that it packed under her wipers which caused them to freeze up. She ended up going down into the center grassy median (westbound before exit 20). She was in snow half-way up her driver's door. After a panicky phone call to me for help (and my truck was in the shop at the time :() something possessed her to start up the car and do something. When I heard that she just drove up an incline in that kind of snow :eek: then and there I became the biggest fan of Subaru AWD and Nokian winter tires! :wub:

For those who don't know, Nokian is a Finnish company. They test their tires at a special facility in the Arctic Circle! If anyone is going to be an expert in snow/winter tires, it's going to be them. I can go into this some more, but that would make for a long response to be a ridiculously long response.

Bottom line... on dry, wet, ice, and snow, I always felt confident driving on these tires.

Note: I just corrected the link to the website that gave me a great deal on these tires.

Thanks for the info and the endorsement! I just clicked on your updated link and see that if I were to grab a set of these for my dedicated winter rims (16" steelies), they'd only run me $153 each for 225/60-16's. Not a bad deal.

Fyi, a second ago I just got a quote from Jack Williams Tire in Easton/Bethlehem/Allentown/etc for size 225/60-16 Nokian WR's in "H" speed rating for $142/each. I also see they have non-studded Hakka 2's for $140/each. Their prices also include mount/balance, valve stems and tire disposal. That doesn't sound at all bad, eh?

Yeah, I-78 is such a mess. Traffic volume like that combined with NJ DOT's "don't plow 'till the snow stops" approach makes for some really awful driving conditions. I've had more panic stops on slippery roads than I care to think about. And people wonder why I bought my studded WinterForce M+S tires for my Subie. They've come in handy on more than one occasion :D

Will keep you posted if I pull the trigger on the Hakka's--the biggest driver for replacing my current snows (which probably have another 5+ seasons left on them) is the fact my wife hates the road noise of them. Personally, I wouldn't mind having a snow/winter tire with a slightly stiffer sidewall, even though the WinterForce's are "S" rated. On a normal car, I probably wouldn't mind the wiggly sidewalls, but coupled with the Outback's wiggly suspension, it's a little much....especially at Rt 78 commuter traffic speeds.

Thanks,

Tim G.

There's some kind of problem with the corrected link in my original post. The Tire Factory doesn't post prices for their Nokian tires even though they will quote the same MSRP as on the Tires by Web site. I just recommend the Tire Factory because of the great deal on pricing for the Hakka 2's. Also, I ordered a second set for my truck, and they discounted the tires by $10 each since I'm a returning customer.

http://www.tirefactory.net/Hakkapeliitta%202.htm

EDIT: OK, I finally got that original link to work right. :)

Archived