LegacyGT.com

Will Subaru Warranty move up to 4 year 50000?

Let's think about this for a moment. Honda offers a 3 year, 36,000 mile bumper to bumper. IIRC, Toyota does the same. On the other end of the spectrum you have Hyundai, Chrysler, and Mitsubishi. Out of the two groups, which would you peg as having more reliable cars? The longer warranty is built into the cost of those cars. The same goes for Audi or BMW "free" service. Thanks, but I'd rather just have a reliable car. I think I just reiterated the "Tommy Boy" guarantee speech. :lol:

Ok, well, what about Acura? They are reliable, and their warranty is 4 year 50,000. If Subaru is going to up the ante and produce more luxurious cars, then they should improve the warranty like the others. Subaru is more reliable, but they aren't perfect, and they aren't at the top of the list like Lexus/Infiniti are.

[quote name='SUBE555']If they deem it not that likely of hitting their overall margins and it will push more volume, it'l be more likely to happen. I've heard rumors of something like this in the works.[/quote] Do you think it would be worthwhile to wait till it comes out then? Or is the wait like next year or something?
-ben

[quote name='mudd']Ok, well, what about Acura? They are reliable, and their warranty is 4 year 50,000. If Subaru is going to up the ante and produce more luxurious cars, then they should improve the warranty like the others. Subaru is more reliable, but they aren't perfect, and they aren't at the top of the list like Lexus/Infiniti are.[/quote] Infiniti isn't at the top of the list, last time I checked. As for Acura - it is a legitimate (albeit small) player in the luxury market. Since it competes with Audi and BMW, there is more demand for the longer warranty. Also, since Honda makes fatter margin with its Acura products, it has room to add the longer warranty. I'm not saying that it won't happen - I have no idea one way or the other. What I'm saying is that warranties aren't free - you pay for them one way or the other. Subaru isn't trying to enter the luxury class at this time - they are trying to capture the performance niche of the mainstream market.

[quote name='axis008'][quote name='SUBE555']If they deem it not that likely of hitting their overall margins and it will push more volume, it'l be more likely to happen. I've heard rumors of something like this in the works.[/quote] Do you think it would be worthwhile to wait till it comes out then? Or is the wait like next year or something?[/quote] A rumor is a rumor. If a warranty in itself in a fairly reliable vehicle is a breaking point for you, then well, wait if you think it MIGHT be better the following year. Personally I'll be enjoying my car for the year between when I get mine and you wait that extra year. 8)

If the warranty is a sticking point, buy a car that has a satisfactory warranty period. It's that simple. I know I sound like a broken record, buy why wish that the Legacy has things that it probably doesn't have? The dumbest $700 I ever spent was on an extended warranty for my WRX wagon. Not because it was never used (true), or because I'll have only 39K on the odometer when I sell the car. It was dumb because in almost 39,000 miles, the only thing I have had to do to that car is change the oil. In the 48,000 miles that I had my '98 Legacy GT wagon, all I ever had to do was scheduled maintenance. Subarus are not only reliable, but long-term reliable. I can't even being to explain how skewed research samples that claim to accurately depict reliability are, so to say that one marque or another is at the "top" is fundamentally flawed. Heck, there are some people who view longer warranties as "What are you trying to say? This car is unreliable?" If a car breaks, whether it's covered under warranty or not, it still sucks. I like that Subaru builds them to work right the first time. Kevin

Exactly. Companies with a reputation for building reliable vehicles don't have to bribe their customers with warranties. Companies like VW, Mitsubishi, Chrysler, and Hyundai on the other hand...

Well it's good to know that Subaru makes some decently built cars. After perusing the Evo. forums, I'm just worried. That car is plagued with issues. But most owners say it's worth the struggles, because that car is one hellish fiend.
-ben

You're talking about Mitsu. In general, Subaru is a whole different ball of wax. I'm not quite sure how you can compare the EVO to Subarus other than the fact that the EVO has many similar configuration features (like AWD, turbo, sporty suspension, etc) to the more performance oriented Subarus. It's not a fair comparison to Subaru reliability one bit, comparing them to Mitsus.

Oh yeah, sorry I didn't specify that. I wasn't really comparing the two manufacturers. I was just saying it's good to know information about Subaru's reputation, since Mitsubishi has some reliability issues. To put it a different way, let's just say it's personal and a good thing, since I used to want an Evo., and now a Legacy. Hope I made sense. Haha.
-ben

hyundai started the 10yr warranty because that car's reputation for build quality was so bad that people were afraid to even consider them. it's just reassurance to compensate for years of poor quality. i wouldn't mind a longer warranty but i don't think it's a big deal.

Now that Mitsubishi has a 10 year/100k mile warranty even on the Evo, you can bet your bottom dollar they will be looking for ways to void the warranty. A longer warranty would be great, but it's not entirely necessary. Just as Acura has longer warranties than Honda, and same with Lexus/Toyota and Infiniti/Nissan, part of a move to bring Subaru more premium could be to increase the warranty in time or content covered by the warranty. The problem is as stated before that increasing the warranty on the same brand of car can seem like it NEEDS the warranty to shed an image at the least (like Mitsu).

If I get a new GT turbo, in the 3rd year of ownership, I might head over to [url]www.warrantydirect.com[/url] and snag a 2-3 year extended warranty if I am feeling that it would be worthwhile. For $1K, it can provive peace of mind. I dealt with them once before, and they are on the up and up. I dont worry about warranties much as I always have Toyotas and such, but for those that want a longer warranty, they can be had.

Archived