LegacyGT.com

Steering Wheel Shake

SneakyFast

Who wants to share their infinite wisdom with a wheel/tire noob? I just had my local tire shop mount and balance a wheel/tire combo that I bought off of a member here. My steering wheel now shakes when I'm driving between 60 and 75 and the car pulls slightly to the right now. It also feels like the steering wheel is not as responsive but that could be my head messing with me.

I took the car back to the shop and a tech told me that the wheels were out of balance. He told me that they balanced them as well as they could, but because of the style of the wheels they could not be balanced properly. He told me that he could balance them properly but he would have to put the weights in a visible area and that it would ruin the surface of my wheels. (FWIW This was not the same tech that balanced the tires)

The wheels are Motegi Racing US7's and the tires are Falken 512's. Both are nearly new. There is no unusual wear on the tires and there are no flaws in the wheels.

What do you all think is the problem here? It seems to me that Motegi would not make a wheel that could not be properly balanced. Are there any special adapters that need to be used when mounting aftermarket wheels? Do I need to get an alignment? I don't know where to start. Any help would be appreciated!

You may have excessive "road force variation". You need a DSP9700 Hunter wheel balancer to measure this. Anything above 12-15lbs will give you problems.

Are your wheels hub or lug centric?

As for the pull, one or more tires may have a "conicity" problem.

That may be your problem. I would not purchase wheels that need adapter rings to keep them hub centric. Your OE wheels are hub centric.

I've owned all sorts of wheels on all sorts of cars and never had a problem with that....

Most Discount tire stores have the Hunter Roadforce balancing machines. Thats what I'd do.

Where is this place you got your alignment? Do they know what they are doing or did they just "get it to spec"?

I haven't gotten an alignment done. Is is standard practice to have your car aligned after you change wheels? The tire place I took it to is considered one of the more reputable places in town.

Thats what I'd do.

What would you do booster?

Definatly get it alligned. If the rims are wider than stock and the tires are a different size it will throw your geometry off. I know when I put the Fuzion ZRi's in my car it messed the allignment up because the tires were wider and had a flatter, harder sidewall. You should always get the car alligned after a wheel/tire change Just my .02 .
Let's kick this pig!

• 7 months later...
That may be your problem. I would not purchase wheels that need adapter rings to keep them hub centric. Your OE wheels are hub centric.

almost no aftermarket wheels are hubcentric. I like sti wheels and rota, but there are plenty of great choices that use rings ........... 99% of the choices.

If this is a hub-centric issues, Lugnuts won't fix this. You have to figure out how much bigger the bore is on the Motegi wheels over the Subaru 56.1mm, then buy hub-center rings that are specific to Subarus and that have the outside diameter that you need for the Motegis.

This is the only way that non-hubcentric wheels will fit properly and they will 1) wear the tires quickly, but 2) and more importantly, ARE A SAFETY ISSUE:eek:. If you have to stop quickly, those wheels could shift and cause you to skid/slide/crash. AND, you have the secondary unpleasant benefit of them shaking.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

YES, you do all 4 wheels alignment when you change tires.

I haven't gotten an alignment done. Is is standard practice to have your car aligned after you change wheels? The tire place I took it to is considered one of the more reputable places in town.

What would you do booster?

First, take your car to a Subaru dealer that you like and get them balanced and your car re aligned. That should take care of any off camber caused by the new wheels and tires and also the pulling to one side. Double check the tire preasure also. An over inflated on one side will cause it to pull to one side also. If you bought the tire/wheel package from some company an over inflated tire might be there. (it happened to me, the tire had 60 psi in it and was hopping all over the place)

So here try this:

1. Subaru manufacturers tire presure

2. Alignment

3. Good balancing with weights inside.

Remember a lot of people claim to do good balancing just to get your money.

“Abandon hope, all ye who enter here”

-Dante Alighieri

http://youtu.be/lLFunBPgPOo

It was a balancing issue. I took them to a different shop and had them balanced. All four wheels were out of balance. One of the rear wheels didn't have any weights in it at all. They were off by a total of 4.5 oz. It drives perfectly now. F#&*@!% morons.

Archived