LegacyGT.com

Got to thinking, will Xenon's void the warranty?

Drumboy

Hey guys, I've been lurking on and off this board now for the past few months and me and my fiance are going to be getting a LegacyGT next month. Question is, I've been reading on a lot of HID kits that you guys have talked about and I've found a good one. D2S Bulbs, Hella ballasts wire kit etc, however, I was thinking about it and was curious if doing this will void your warranty? Just wondering what some of you guys with the kits have had any trouble with the dealership in regards to this. BTW, I'll be getting a Obs. Black 5AMT GT (non-ltd) probably around the 15th or so of Jan. Anyone that could help me install the Xenon kit in the Portland, OR / Vancouver, WA area, I've got beer and pizza for ya if you wanna help install it. < - - - - Noob about eletronics. :) Thx guys.

[quote name='godwhomismike']I doubt it, but I'm sure those Xenon's will surely piss off many drivers on the road. - Mike[/QUOTE] Yeah I know the whole story behind one of the guys (not sure if it's you mike) but I know one guy on this board is on a holy crusade to tell people not to get Xenon's just because it's distrating on the road. Currently I have Xenon's in my '91 Audi 100 that use reflectors and only has one bulb slot. I have my lights aimed all the way down and sometimes I'll still get flashed. Xenon's for me at least are great on my car because 9004 bulb output is garbage.... however, I think based on what most people have been saying, with the H7 bulb type and projectors, I may not need Xenon's. We'll see though. :redface:

First, the Xenon's are terrible in rain, snow or fog for the driver because of the dangerous glare and brightness that gets reflected. Second, you will make your car more attractive to thieves like the Nissan Maxima. Third, you will strip the Legacy of its unique and sleeper looks and everybody will think your car is either an Acura, BMW or other brands that provide HID options. The Subaru along with a couple of other brands are the only ones with non-HID projectors. Mojo
I keed I keeed

I believe he was asking about whether it would void his warranty, not whether everyone thinks he should get HIDs or not. To try to answer the question...In my experience (I had an HID kit on my 2000 Legacy), it will not void the warranty. I had my car at the dealership for several unrelated issues over the 3 years I owned it, and they never mentioned the HID kit at all. However, I would guess that if you were trying to resolve some electrical issue, they may point to that as the cause - so there is a risk (as with any aftermarket mod). I doubt they are going to blame your HIDs if the back tailgate is rattling, or your headgasket blows. It always depends on the dealership though- but ususally they dont "Void" the warranty, they just look at any aftermarket mods that may be related to your specific issue, and may refuse to pay for the repair.

[quote name='GTWag']I believe he was asking about whether it would void his warranty, not whether everyone thinks he should get HIDs or not. To try to answer the question...In my experience (I had an HID kit on my 2000 Legacy), it will not void the warranty. I had my car at the dealership for several unrelated issues over the 3 years I owned it, and they never mentioned the HID kit at all. However, I would guess that if you were trying to resolve some electrical issue, they may point to that as the cause - so there is a risk (as with any aftermarket mod). I doubt they are going to blame your HIDs if the back tailgate is rattling, or your headgasket blows. It always depends on the dealership though- but ususally they dont "Void" the warranty, they just look at any aftermarket mods that may be related to your specific issue, and may refuse to pay for the repair.[/QUOTE] Thanks for the feedback Wag, good call on that.

To be honest with you, I have took issue with many things on this car, but I really like the stock headlights on the car and find them to be more than enough, even on those roads with no street lights where if you turned your lights off you wouldn't see you hand in front of your face. Keep the stock lights and get something better for your car - like tires, the ones on the car are absolute s**t and I have noticed the will hydroplane over puddles, get tail happy on uneven curvy surfaces, and will blow out on you when you least expect it. Xenon headlights are only going to piss off who ever drives in front of you and attract theives who will looks at stealing them. Also, I think it's illegal to install them in a car that didn't come from the factory with them. - Mike

i might be selling my Osram silverstars (from U.K) - they are awesome and very white without a cheesy blue-coating. I am getting an HID kit, so they will probably be sold if you are interested. (not sure on price yet)

[quote name='godwhomismike'] Xenon headlights are only going to piss off who ever drives in front of you and attract theives who will looks at stealing them. Also, I think it's illegal to install them in a car that didn't come from the factory with them.[/QUOTE] Thanks dad! I'll make sure to drive behind you for long periods of time. Oh, that's right, my HIDs are no worse than some freaking SUV that is so high that their lights take up all three of my mirrors. Please move along.

Archived