LegacyGT.com

white-out mod, review and questions

sde

I whited out my headlights today and of course Murphey's Law prevailed. I will attach 2 pictures. 1 of the finished product, and the other of my headlight alignment.

My right headlight is higher than my left. Do you adust this with all the bolts? or is there another way.

The mod took much longer than I anticipated. Part of it was getting a feel for how to use the heat gun to seperate the housing. I finally figured that heating up one side at a time worked best.

I ended up chipping the edge of the casing, the part to the outside of the groove. I had to super glue it back together. It's very small and hardly noticable but I know it's there and it looks like shit. Be careful when standing the housing on edge with the heating gun.

The heating gun can warp the edge of the lense so it does not fit flush when you re-mount. The very top edge sits a little bit out, but I'm going to re-heat it up tomorrow and push it back.

I ended up using the sylvania silverstar 3157A for the replacement. I am happy with the look.

I've gotten over the chip and warped issues, but the headlight alignment is what makes me feel freakin lop-sided when I drive. I'm going to drop the bumper tomorrow and see what I can do to fix.

OOOhh yeah, .. to add insult to injury, I have 2 Black Bolts with fixed washers left over. Any idea where they go? lol, This simple POS mod kicked my ass but I do like the results.

white-out.jpg.364db18babfb7885b25d356ec353f3b4.jpg

headlights.jpg.0eeb84a80bd3dfbe3441e75c18e14e30.jpg

I know its a bit more freeky, but an oven is alot safer to use because with a heat gun, your not getting the silicone softened up evenly around the casing, so you're putting yourself more at risk.... ...all that aside... Looks great, one of the best mods i've done, mainly because its free.... ..as far as the two bolts go w/fixed washers... look near the grill area or the braces that hold on the headlights....

if you look very closely, the gap on the top line of the light shown in the picture above is a little bigger than the gap to the left. ( between the light and the car ) .. that is not noticable in that picture. also, if you run your finger along the grove between the light and the car you will feel it a little. the chip is a little more noticable. it's about a 2" crack. it's the lighter color of the super-glue that is causing it. i think if i go over it with a sharpie or something else, it will be even less noticable. these things are such little blemishes, but it's definately worth mentioning so others can learn from my mistakes. :) ( unless i'm the only idiot that could screw up this mod :lol: )

i haven't researched this mod for the legacy, but I did it in my old WRX and it consisted of heating the headlights in the oven for 20 minutes, painting the inside, taking out the orange globes, and then resealing. What exactly do you do in the legacy? Nick

• 2 months later...
[quote name='sde']hah yes, clearing out the lights. on the last one i used regular white silicone, .. but that is noticable and looks ugly seeping out on the black casing. i will use black this time.[/QUOTE] Black silicone? :) I will be doin this when I get my new headlight assembly. So I have one to practice on. hehehe
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

they make black silicone right? lol .. i thought it came in a few colors, .. i've never seen it though. what do you mean by your new headlight assembly? did yours break? did i miss something? you gotta be very careful with this mod. it if you try to pull the casing apart before the epoxy ( or whatever it is held together with ) is melted, you can very easily bend the edge of the light. this makes the lines of the light not flow with the car.

[quote name='sde']they make black silicone right? lol .. i thought it came in a few colors, .. i've never seen it though. what do you mean by your new headlight assembly? did yours break? did i miss something? you gotta be very careful with this mod. it if you try to pull the casing apart before the epoxy ( or whatever it is held together with ) is melted, you can very easily bend the edge of the light. this makes the lines of the light not flow with the car.[/QUOTE] My passanger headlight got cracked when a prick in a H2 opened his door. [url]http://www.autoaccessconnect.com/peblsiadse.html[/url]
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I also did this mod this week( I posted pics in the obsidian black pearl thread). I used a hair dryer and it worked fine, we did put a few nics in the edge of the light (the black part that is visible). Its not bad you can only see them if your real close maybee ill just sand it down with a real fine grain or something? To seal thelights back up we just heated the glue that was already on it back up and squeezed the lights back together, it worked fine. I love the way it looks its definately worth the time. -NS

:lol: famous last words .. i chipped the corner off the right headlight casing, .. then i completely warped the top of my left one. i super-glued the chipped corner, but i did not want to attempt making plastic bend back in a straight line on the other one. now i have a new car for a 2nd try :D

Don't damage them. They are about $300 bucks per side. My Integra club came up with a modification that put BMW style halos on the head lights. It required baking the headlight for a minute to pop the covers off. Some of the most 'DIY' challenged people I know were able to do this without messing anything up. I'm still kinda wary to do it on my own car, but I know that if I did then I wouldn't screw anything up with the light. Its the amount of time it will take me to figure out how to take everything apart and put it all back together again that concerns me. I don't want to screw that part up.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived