LegacyGT.com

Need Help Regarding Insurance Claim

Hi Everyone,

I had a bad day in last Saturday :icon_cry:. I heard my alarm go off and I look out of my window. I saw my car is blinking and "crying". I went out and take a look of my car. A van was double park on the street and a box truck decided to pass on my right. It cracked my passenger side mirror and left :mad:. I talk to the van’s driver and he just ignore my questions. WTF !!!! At that moment, I do not know what to do and went home.

1 hour later, I need to go out and I found a note on my windshield. My neighbor wrote down the truck’s company name and plate number and her phone number. So I decided to call the police and get the police report. When the police came and told me to call the number. My neighbor came out and told the police what she saw.

My Question is if she took down the wrong plate # (I believe she is right), can my insurance still chase the other side since we know the company name? If anyone here know how the insurance work, please let me know. I will get the police report today. Many thanks.

I assume you have collision insurance. If so, just report this to your insurance agent or insurance company and let them handle it. They will explain things to you. They will reimburse you for the cost to fix your car less your deductible. If they are able to identify the other party they will also pay the deductible amount to you as they will seek recovery for their payment to you from the responsible party. Since you were not at fault this should not affect your future insurance costs.

In the future it is better to call the police and have them come when the other party is still at the scene (if they will - you may need to imply there is some bodily injury as sometimes they are to lazy to come for simple property damage claims). Also if your cellphone has a camera take some pictures before anything is moved. Get the names and contact details of any witnesses. In this case you were lucky that someone saw this and unlike many bystanders who try to avoid being involved, yours is willing to help you.

The truck is gone (the one hit me). Only the double parked van is there. I did not move the car. The car is sitting where it got hit until the police came. The thing that worry me is the side mirror is a couple hundred dollar to fix ( my deductible is $500). I will contact my insurance soon.

Thank you

contact your insurance company, coverage varies from state to state but oit should be covered under your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (as it will be treated as a hit and run). Your insurance company will pay for the damages minus your deductible (even though your physical damage deductible is $500 some companys have a lower deductible for hit and run accidents, mine was $250 for aUN/UM claims). Then it would be up tot he company if they want to go after the other drivers insurance company to recoup thier losses.

good luck, just keep on top of them

Let your insurance company handle it, but be firm about where the fault lies. Are you saying the boxtruck had to pass on your right (the sidewalk?) because the van was blocking the street? The police should have no problem assigning full blame to the jackass truck driver.

There are 3 easy steps for handling your insurance claim:

1) Obtain van company address in phone book,

2) Go to company location,

3) Torch van

I'm only kidding.

Breaking all the glass with a baseball bat should be sufficient.

Archived