LegacyGT.com

Drone noise?

wsmith30132

I have a perrin catless DP and cans. I have read alot that the stock y-pipe is a huge restriction. I was looking to add the perrin mid and y-pipe, but have heard alot about drone noise going with that setup. What exactly is drone noise and is it worth the gains?

A "drone" as you call it is when two frequencys in the car intersect causing a disturbance.

Exhaust resonance, or drone can usually be tuned out by placing weights in the pipes in certain areas. Usually a 4-6 pound steel weight. This requires alot of patience finding that sweet spot to place the weight on the exhaust.

Just make sure the weight is securely fastened.....a five pound piece of steel dropping off your car and hitting the car behind you could cause a problem.

I have a perrin catless DP and cans. I have read alot that the stock y-pipe is a huge restriction. I was looking to add the perrin mid and y-pipe, but have heard alot about drone noise going with that setup. What exactly is drone noise and is it worth the gains?

I have a perrin catless down and perrin full catback, its loud, but it sounds throaty. I love the way the car sounds there is a little drone on the highway but not bad IMO. If you are person who doesn't want a loud exhaust, you should keep the stock cans on, no matter what it will be significantly louder over stock, replacing the dp and mp will give you the throatiness in the exhaust note. Good luck.

Archived