LegacyGT.com

Sirius Antenna

zimbonies

Okay - I know I'm beating a dead horse with this subject, but I'm having prob's with Sirius reception in my 08 Legacy 2.5i.

I live in Western Pennsylvania where there are many hills and valleys. When I am driving South, South East or North East reception is forever kicking out. If I'm driving North, North West or South West, no problems (unless I'm in a tunnel or parking garage).

Anyway, as we all know, the factory installed antenna is stuck to the inside of the windshield. I've moved it more to the center of the windshield (just to the right of the black "dot" sunscreen thing so it's not blocking the reception).

My question(s) are as follows:

1. What is inside the black antenna box? Has anyone taken it apart to see if there's a regular Sirius antenna inside it?

2. If I were to mount this factory antenna to the roof of the car, is it weatherproof? (I have a sunroof, so getting the wire outside shouldn't be too much of a problem).

3. Is there a way to forgo the factory antenna and connect a Sirius supplied car antenna to the HU?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Zim

I've got xm installed in my 05 aftermarket. My antenna is mounted on the center roof back by the tailgate. I ran the cord under the weather stripping and inside the car along the a frame to the front.

did you buy your car with the antenna already installed? if so do you have enough antenna cord to run it from the back to the front? if you do, do a search, there are people who've posted how they ran theirs.

as for your reception, if you are running off an fm frequency, have you tried to change to a stronger station?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

c-lo

Thank you for your quick response.

Yes, I did buy the car with Sirius installed / antenna mounted to the windshield. Unfortunately the antenna wire is only about 12" long (the slack is above the headliner near the dome light), so moving it to the trunk is not an option - unless I can get an extension(?). That is why I would like to move it to the roof, if it is in fact waterproof.

The Sirius unit is actually attached to the stereo (per the manufacturer), so I'm not using the FM frequency receiver. There's a button on the stereo itself labelled SAT.

Thank you!

Zim

so i guess the next best thing to do is find out (i don't know since mines not factory) is can you plug in an aftermarket siruis antenna that's long enough to get back to the trunk. OR can you route your current cable antenna out the driverside door to roof above the windshield. depends on how you want to route it.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

so i guess the next best thing to do is find out (i don't know since mines not factory) is can you plug in an aftermarket siruis antenna that's long enough to get back to the trunk. OR can you route your current cable antenna out the driverside door to roof above the windshield. depends on how you want to route it.

Exactly on both counts with one exception. I have a sunroof, so I technically could get the antenna to mount outside, above the map lights, however I do not know if the antenna is water / weatherproof.

Ideally, I would like to get the aftermarket antenna and mount it to the trunk, but the block connectors for the factory antenna won't allow me to connect an aftermarket unit.

Zim

i think mine is the opposite. my sirius reception is fine. Its my FM that is pure shit. dont know what to do with that. but i will search one day.

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

Archived