LegacyGT.com

Post the build date of your 2005 LGT MT wagon

So now we know they were making them continously... i.e. every month between 05/04 and 11/04. This is interesting, one would think they would make them in few batches, not spread over multiple months.

Then we know about (likely) rare examples from 01/05 and 03/05.

The 2005 wagons and sedans were produced at least into May of '05. Not sure if there was any '05 production in June of '05. It's all in the VIN. All 2005 Legacy GT Wagons with M/Ts have 563xxxxx as the last 8 of the VIN. The last 5 numbers represent when in the production year it was made. So, if you happen to have the VIN of 56300001, then you have the first 2005 Legacy wagon that rolled off the line (probably in April of '04). Now, actually the last five numbers run in sequence and includes the production of all Legacy/Outbacks...so, the very first GT MT Wagon may very well have a VIN of 56300009 or whatever. It probably wasn't sold to the public, but I'd bet the car with a last five of 00001 is a sedan. I recall the press release from March or April of '04, and I think it was a sedan.

Anyhow, a VIN with a 5639XXXX or 5439XXXX - the 4 makes it an automatic GT wagon - (i.e. the 90,000th+ Legacy/Outback made during 2005 model production) will have been produced in May of '05, and perhaps even into June. So...someone with a build date of say 11/04, regardless of whether it's a GT or Outback or non-GT Legacy, will have a VIN number (I'm referring to the last five) that is lower than someone with a build date of 1/05, but higher than someone with a car built in an earlier month, etc.

The 2005 wagons and sedans were produced at least into May of '05. Not sure if there was any '05 production in June of '05. It's all in the VIN. All 2005 Legacy GT Wagons with M/Ts have 563xxxxx as the last 8 of the VIN. The last 5 numbers represent when in the production year it was made. So, if you happen to have the VIN of 56300001, then you have the first 2005 Legacy wagon that rolled off the line (probably in April of '04). Now, actually the last five numbers run in sequence and includes the production of all Legacy/Outbacks...so, the very first GT MT Wagon may very well have a VIN of 56300009 or whatever. It probably wasn't sold to the public, but I'd bet the car with a last five of 00001 is a sedan. I recall the press release from March or April of '04, and I think it was a sedan.

Anyhow, a VIN with a 5639XXXX or 5439XXXX - the 4 makes it an automatic GT wagon - (i.e. the 90,000th+ Legacy/Outback made during 2005 model production) will have been produced in May of '05, and perhaps even into June. So...someone with a build date of say 11/04, regardless of whether it's a GT or Outback or non-GT Legacy, will have a VIN number (I'm referring to the last five) that is lower than someone with a build date of 1/05, but higher than someone with a car built in an earlier month, etc.

All this is known (from cars101.com), but you can't tell (or I don't know how) production month directly from the VIN:

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/vin.html

However - what you wrote made me check the fan recall builetin - and - WOW it lists 2006 LGT MT wagons! See:

http://www.thel7.com/Recalls/WVB-12.pdf

Well, it's not a total surprise because there were reports of one 2006 LGT MT wagon for sale (ABP, Limited with tan leather) in Maine last year with vin:4S3BP676766300013. It was a corporate car according to carfax. Apparently it was the first 2006 LGT MT wagon made.

Apparently, according to the vin info in there were grand total of nine USDM 2006 LGT MT wagons made (surely there were more for Canada). One can guess that because sedans and wagons have separate sequence numbers, and while Outback and Legacy are mixed, MT Outbacks start with a higher number.

These perhaps will become true collector Subarus (unlike the pointless numbered 2006 SpecBs).

Yep, they may become collector cars. I almost bought a GT wagon from a guy in St. Louis with VIN of 5637xxxx and it had a Feb '05 build date. In October of 2005 I bid on a new OBP M/T GT Wagon with short-throw from Glassman Subaru in Detroit with a VIN of 56391931 and build date of 05/05. Unfortunately someone outbid me. I still have the inventory printout of that one. Wonder if they're a member here...

The fan recall is interesting. The recall data could mean that whoever owns 56392007 has the last '05 MT wagon. Lucky 7 eh? Could it be a June '05 car?

05/05? So they added few more just at the end of the production run. Interesting.

I know nothing about car manufacturing, but one would think due to the economy of scale, they would want to build similar cars in batches, as opposed to building few every month.

I believe MY2005 manufacturing ended in 05/05. So the one you were bidding was surely one of the last made.

No boats go from Indiana.
I know the sedan came from IN but I thought the wagon came in at the port in Seattle? I have a friend who is pretty high up in the Subie corp there and I could swear I remember him saying this. He also told me that on occasion one gets sent out from the port for delivery but doesn't arrive.

• 2 months later...
Yep, they may become collector cars. I almost bought a GT wagon from a guy in St. Louis with VIN of 5637xxxx and it had a Feb '05 build date. In October of 2005 I bid on a new OBP M/T GT Wagon with short-throw from Glassman Subaru in Detroit with a VIN of 56391931 and build date of 05/05. Unfortunately someone outbid me. I still have the inventory printout of that one. Wonder if they're a member here...

The full VIN of that car is 4S3BP686956-391931.

It was indeed built in May 05. Interestingly some MY2006 cars (at least sedans) were built in April 05! That means there was some overlap in MY2006/MY2006 production. Or they decided to build few more wagons from left over parts - or perhaps filling out pending orders?

This VIN is for 06 sedan 4S3BL676466200009 built in April 05. Ach - googled that car, and apparently it was a factory demo...

:iam:

Archived