LegacyGT.com

BBC TopGear review...

Kind of old, but I hadn't seen it before... Road test Subaru Legacy [July 04 2003] You could walk past the current Legacy and not appreciate all the clever stuff lurking underneath; like the horizontally-opposed engine and full-time 4WD it shares with the Impreza WRX. But this new-shape Legacy might just make it into the head-turning league when it arrives in November. In Japan, the two-litre turbo is king of the hill, but in Britain, we hear a different 2.5-litre turbo will top the range - though not for a couple of years yet. For Europe, Subaru still has to wrestle with the thorny problem of a diesel. Here and now, though, we are able to sample the 'spec B'. The absolute hot ticket in Japan, it comes with a two-litre turbo engine, stiffer suspension, lowered gearing and 18-inch wheels. The turbo power comes in smooth and swift, and both mid- and top-end thrust are meteoric. Gone though, or almost, is that characteristic engine throb. Subaru has decided to tone it down by re-routing exhaust pulses to make the engine quieter and try to draw in more BMW-inclined customers who don't want such an animated engine sound. To which we say, boo. A big surprise is how well the new five-speed auto gearbox goes with the turbo engine. You lose 20bhp and get a 500rpm lower red line over the manual, but, it's that bit more refined and, in spec B, is the one to go for. The Legacys pirouetting around Fuji race circuit prove a pretty good advertisement for Subaru's ability to evolve and refine a car. It turns in better, has more grip, stronger brakes and more rigid steering. It's quicker than the outgoing Legacy, yet has better economy. Whichever model you zero in on, all this comes as standard. Also on offer is a much improved cabin. Subaru has been famously weak on interiors for some while. But now the message has got through - Subaru says that the big word on this fourth generation Legacy is quality. And while not quite up to Audi levels yet, Subaru is finally delivering. The new shape Legacy probably still won't prompt too many wows in the pub car park when it lands here. But it will get good reviews - it drives well and is a decent, characterful, capable all-rounder. Bit like now, really, only more so.

From all accounts, I would say thats a pretty positive article. Im not sure how many ppl Subaru are going to drag away from BMW but Im sure by just saying that, it atleast puts the thought process to work for prospecitive BMW buyers.

[quote name='agctr']From all accounts, I would say thats a pretty positive article. Im not sure how many ppl Subaru are going to drag away from BMW but Im sure by just saying that, it atleast puts the thought process to work for prospecitive BMW buyers.[/quote] [img]http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/images/smilies/wavey.gif[/img] I'm one of those buyers Subaru might drag from BMW... see this thread and scroll up a bit... [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?p=10512#10512[/url] I think the E46 is an awesome car, but Subaru long-term reliability (even with a new model), plus more HP and standard features for the buck than the 325iT will most likely see me in a Legacy GT wagon than a 325iT. But I have to drive one first. 8)

Is there an issue in the US with the perception of BMW drivers? In a few UK articles one small factor that affects peoples views of buying BMWs is that most of the current drivers are idiots, and you don't want to be put in the same category as the average BMW driver. [url]http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,588-1076890,00.html[/url] See Para 7 of this article on the new Aston.

Um, well, I don't think so... :) I think there's two camps of BMW owners in the US... one who like them for being BMWs... the prestige. And the other is one who wants a rear-drive sport sedan that has sharp reflexes and whose mechanical precision make it a joy to drive. I'm in the second camp... the synergy between all the major controls of the BMW's make them rewarding to drive. I drove every competitor to the 325 and still found it to be the most satisfying to drive. Besides... I don't really put any stock into the Times when it comes to cars. Please. Now, TopGear, Autocar or Car... that's another story. So, to my way of thinking, that Subaru is getting a "BMW buyer" like me considering a Legacy GT extremely strongly is a true testament to how far they've come. I've driven WRX's and love them. They are the "real deal" when it comes to performance and handling. I'm expecting the same out of the Legacy GT... plus more power and more room than the WRX (and 325... and maybe even 330). If the refinement and chassis is anywhere near as lively as a BMW... I'm sold because Subaru has better long-term reliability prospects as well as more bang for the buck.

[quote name='racerdave']Um, well, I don't think so... :) Besides... I don't really put any stock into the Times when it comes to cars. Please. Now, TopGear, Autocar or Car... that's another story. [/quote] Ah but Times = Jeremy Clarkson = Top Gear.

It's unfortunate that the US doesn't get a 330iT. Heck, other countries can get a 330iT with sport package and SMG I. If they ever came out with an M3 touring, I'd be saving my pennies to buy one used. I love the 3 series wagons, but not as much as the looks of the Alfa 156. If only that weren't fwd. Back on topic. It sounds like they only tested the 5EAT but still say that is the one to go with over the manual. I'm happy to see a raving review of the auto since that's what Subaru will surely make the majority of.

Ah yes, the 300iT. Like you said, they make it almost everywhere else. That car would be sweet. Rogue Engineering's making a M3 touring: [url]http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46820&highlight=rogue+touring[/url] For some reason the pics are showing up, but it's a 325iT with the Mtech body kit and the E46 M3 motor in it. :D

Well, I currently own a BMW 325XI with full coilovers. And yes, I am looking at the GT limited for two main reasons 1- more power 2- less visibility (for me, I am not into the "look at me" game, I am into fun factor of driving) I am on the fence at the moment; I change my mind about 10 times a week regarding parting with my bimmer. The main reason is because of what the bimmer is able to deliver, the subjective stuff. Driving a BMW is not about numbers, it is all about feeling. And that, no one can comment until they had enough driving time in one (I’m referring to an E46 here, not the E36) So, if the GT provide similar rigidity as the E46, and general feeling, I sure will say goodbye to my baby, move to the Subaru side. Past cars I owned as reference, prior to my 325XI, I had a 99 M3, 97 Honda Prelude, 95 Golf GTI VR6... My brother currently drives a 2003 Audi A4 Avant 1.8, and my parents have a matching set of Subaru Legacy Outback’s. They have been driving Subarus for the past 8 years. My 2 cents Francois

Archived