LegacyGT.com

Turbo Diesel Trucks

All other makers that are interested in more diesels are already letting the public/auto press know. GM will have the 4.5L Duramax V8 for their 1/2 tons, Dodge is getting a 5.6L V8 Cummins for 1/2 tons, Ford is going with a 4.4L V8 for the new F-150. Even Nissan is tossing around the idea of an International made diesel for the Titan.

im a big fan of dodge trucks. i dont see why dodge would go from a 5.9L in-line 6 turbo diesel to a 5.6L V8. the 5.9 put out almost as much hp and tq as chevy and fords V8 diesel(fords new twin turbo diesel in the f450 is pretty bada$$). just my two cents.

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

thanks for the info above, I'll have to check it out. I subscribed to Diesel Tech Magazine a few weeks ago but havent gotten an issue yet. They're really small startup mag though and only do like 6 mags a year I think. Hell of a deal though only $10 for a subscription

thanks for the info above, I'll have to check it out. I subscribed to Diesel Tech Magazine a few weeks ago but havent gotten an issue yet. They're really small startup mag though and only do like 6 mags a year I think. Hell of a deal though only $10 for a subscription

I love Diesel Power magazine. I really love this magazine. I was just flipping though Diesel Tech magazine in Barnes and Nobles, and wasn't impressed. I am a diesel fan, Diesel Power is a thick informative magazine. They did issues where they did a whole write up on how a turbo works, what the parts are, and diagrams, etc... I always find a good technical articles in Diesel Power, where it teaches you technical aspects of the diesel - from turbos to how a torque converter works.

im a big fan of dodge trucks. i dont see why dodge would go from a 5.9L in-line 6 turbo diesel to a 5.6L V8. the 5.9 put out almost as much hp and tq as chevy and fords V8 diesel(fords new twin turbo diesel in the f450 is pretty bada$$). just my two cents.

The Cummins BT6 5.9L inline six weights like 1100lbs, making it unsuitable for use in a 1/2 ton as it eats up what could be payload capacity for a 1/2 ton suspension. No one will argue that it isn't a tough durable power unit, but it is really really heavy. The new Cummins V8 and V6 are designed with a compacted graphite iron block, as is the 4.5L Duramax, which is very very strong but helps shave the weight down to acceptable 1/2 ton levels. Look for this material to be used in the future medium and heavy duty engines as well to enhance strength and pay load.

This is a Diesel truck I would looooooooooove to buy!!!

0-62 in 5.5. secs and it gets 30 mpg too!!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSfR7QSweJ8]YouTube - Roadfly.com - Audi Q7 V12 Concept Car from NAIAS[/ame]

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

This is a Diesel truck I would looooooooooove to buy!!!

0-62 in 5.5. secs and it gets 30 mpg too!!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

While the Audi Q7 is most definitely cool, it is not a truck.

You might have noticed the absence of a bed, a low range transfer case, or a solid axle in the back.

2009 Nissan Frontier Diesel coming to the US!!!!

xpectations of what bakkies should do have come a long way from their original muck-lugging roots.

Today's flagship 4x4 double cabs have to be able to plough through bogs and over boulders yet still ride and handle well on the road, carry four passengers in air-conditioned comfort yet have a load box big enough for garden rubbish or mountain bikes.

One wonders whether the term bakkie is even apt, as they're more like SUVs that happen to have huge load space.

Any way you look at them, these vehicles are from and exceptional breed of unrivalled versatility

The new Hardbody retains its predecessor's familiar robusticity.. It's also why they are afflicted with nightmare nomenclature such as that of the (deep breath, now!) Nissan Hardbody 3000 16VTD Double Cab 4x4 SEL on test here.

The 22-syllable name sums up most of the talents of this R286 990 pickup, launched as part of a new-and-improved, 15-model Hardbody range by Nissan SA in March but it's the styling that really grabs you.

The new Hardbody retains its predecessor's familiar robusticity but its bold new presence should be a homing beacon for adventure-seeking, fashion-conscious types.

This range-topping version looks the business. If a vehicle is an extension of its owner's personality then this one makes you look like somebody who wrestles crocodiles and enjoys a bit of classical music afterwards.

It's embellished with tough-guy items: bull bar, rollover bar, side steps and flared wheel arches

The cool styling doesn't stop on the outside.. Even the roof rack escapes its traditional role as an ugly utility item and makes a stylish visual statement with an aerodynamic spoiler.

The cool styling doesn't stop on the outside. A sporty (height-adjustable) steering wheel and blue-faced instruments create some flair in the cabin while the smoothly curved fascia and leather-bolstered cloth seats create a cosy, car-like ambience.

So do creature comforts such as button-operated exterior mirrors, electric windows (with an auto up/down function for the driver), central locking with keyless entry, air-conditioning and a radio/CD.

The hard plastic of the fascia and the sliding lever ventilation controls betray the Hardbody's workhorse roots but so does the tough-as-nails build quality and everything seems solidly screwed together.

Two crash bags, a pair of cupholders, generous oddments space and comfortable bucket seats round off the generous treatment meted out to the front passengers but Nissan has been a bit stingy with the rear seat accommodation. The legroom isn't particularly good, the bench is too close to the floor and the backrest is too upright.

The street cred and luxury features suggest this is anything but a workhorse but the flagship Hardbody is more than capable of hard work. A tough ladder chassis provides a strong backbone for hauling and towing and the shortened cargo bay is rated for 850kg.

Nice practical touches - such as an easy-to-operate central tailgate latch and a load box cover held in place by elastic cord - means females can use the load box without breaking a nail.

It's a good idea to keep some weighty cargo permanently in the box to load up the rear springs and dampen the ride. The front suspension is independent with coil springs but the leaf springs and solid axle at the rear generate a jittery and bouncy unladen ride over not-so-smooth roads. Or, in the expert opinion of my four-year-old daughter, "it makes you wiggle and giggle".

Power-assisted steering and a slick gearshift help ease this bulky bakkie into parking bays. Less impressive are the anti-lock brakes; they feel very numb and need a firm foot.

The Hardbody's three-litre, quad-valve motor is the most powerful turbodiesel in its class at 105kW (at 3400rpm) and 314Nm of torque (from 2000rpm). That solidly out-punches Toyota's flagship 3.0 KZ-TE Hilux turbodiesel that musters 85kW and 315Nm, the 2,8-litre turbodiesel Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo with 92kW and 294Nm and the 2.5-litre turbodiesel engine of the Mazda Drifter/Ford Ranger that makes 80kW and 257Nm.

But our feeling about Nissan's turbodiesel is bittersweet. It wields a hearty punch but it's also very noisy and has a tractor-like chugga-chugga that doesn't fade even when cruising. It's also more of a fuel-guzzler than we expected for a diesel, using 11.2 litres/100km on the freeway and 13.2 during a combination of urban commuting and a bit of off-roading.

Acceleration isn't exactly slingshot at 18.6 seconds to 100km/h but its strong point is solid cruising power. Around town the initial response is a bit lazy until the turbocharger starts spinning but on the open road the heavy bakkie has good muscle whatever the revs and can cruise quite easily at a true 160km/h.

Another highlight: the motor shuts down smoothly, without the typical shudder of most diesels.

The turbodiesel's low-rev grunt really comes to the fore in off-road conditions when low-range crawling is required and it will do the job with the motor idling.

The Hardbody's a mud-wallower of note and felt at home when tested in the tough off-road course at Bass Lake near Henley-On-Klip. It's more user-friendly than 4x4 bakkies of old with its auto-locking hubs (you don't have to go out and stand in the mud) and shifts from two to all-wheel drive on the move at up to 40km/h.

With its all-wheel drive and electro-pneumatic diff lock the Nissan took steep hills, slippery slopes, and axle twisters in its stride while its 220mm ride height and good approach and departure angles prevented any belly-scraping.

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived