LegacyGT.com

Turbo Diesel Trucks

I love those things Cummins, Powerstroke, Duramax it doesnt matter. But I hear Toyota is gonna be coming out with a turbodiesel tundra that was partially engineered by subaru if that comes out I am getting one. Its gonna be a while though. What do you guys think of these?

That's great news about Toyota if it's true. I'd like to see some light-duty pickups with diesel engines. Current diesel offerings are limited to 3/4 and 1-ton pickups due to the more relaxed federal emissions regulations for pickups with over 8,500 pound GVWR.

I love those things Cummins, Powerstroke, Duramax it doesnt matter. But I hear Toyota is gonna be coming out with a turbodiesel tundra that was partially engineered by subaru if that comes out I am getting one. Its gonna be a while though. What do you guys think of these?

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a diesel Tundra, by most reports the development of a diesel for that vehicle are on again off again. Subaru will have nothing to do with development of any diesel that goes in it either. Toyota owns a controlling interest in Hino (makes diesel trucks), and now owns a stake in Isuzu which as we know helped GM design the Duramax. Subaru is just now designing their first diesel, and would not be anyone's first choice to develop a light-medium duty truck diesel.

If Toyota were actively developing a diesel we would know about it by now since they would be crowing about it to build up interest in advance of commercial release. If they are developing one for sale by 2010 they are doing the worst job of building anticipation ever. All other makers that are interested in more diesels are already letting the public/auto press know. GM will have the 4.5L Duramax V8 for their 1/2 tons, Dodge is getting a 5.6L V8 Cummins for 1/2 tons, Ford is going with a 4.4L V8 for the new F-150. Even Nissan is tossing around the idea of an International made diesel for the Titan.

If you look at Toyota as a company they do not seem to have any desire to market diesel powerplants in the US market. That is unfortunate for their truck buyers.

That's great news about Toyota if it's true. I'd like to see some light-duty pickups with diesel engines. Current diesel offerings are limited to 3/4 and 1-ton pickups due to the more relaxed federal emissions regulations for pickups with over 8,500 pound GVWR.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/2935

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodge/0612dp_new_cummins_v6_and_v8/index.html

Well at least GM and Dodge have engines developing and ready to go by 2009-2010 for the 1/2 ton market. Like I said before don't hold your breath on Toyota, it took them several decades to make a competitive 1/2 ton I don't see them putting out a diesel until everyone else has one and sales are proven.

I'm a huge fan of turbo diesels, and even read Diesel Power Magazine.

Ditto here,... put an Edge box on a Cummins or a Power Stroke and they get silly. I see late model Cummins trucks with dual rear wheels that will light all 4 rear tires easily. Diesel is going to be the way of the future.

Did you know a late model Cummins engine will pulse the injectors 5 times on each power stroke??? Electronics have re-invented the diesel engine IMO.

Also, did you know that Roudolf Diesel originally designed the first diesel engine to run on peanut oil,.. and that the petroleum lobyists in the early 1900's convinced manufacture's to switch to petroleum??

^^^^ No kidding! I always wanted to see a 4cyl "B" series Cummins turbo in the Dakota. I have seen that engine used in a stationary generator before.

poor bastard started the project buying an '82 diesel Buick Regal so he wouldn't have any issues with DMV. The car he bought had been converted to gasoline engine. Drives all the way out someplace to pick it up and on the way home driving with it, the car spring a fuel leak and burned to the ground.

He spent years buying whatever GNX parts he could get his hands on, and built the car from ground up. Great article - definitely worth reading. The guy basically built a frigging GNX clone out of a collection of parts, which looks so good that he has been yelled at for ruining what people think was a perfect authentic GNX.

poor bastard started the project buying an '82 diesel Buick Regal so he wouldn't have any issues with DMV. The car he bought had been converted to gasoline engine. Drives all the way out someplace to pick it up and on the way home driving with it, the car spring a fuel leak and burned to the ground.

He spent years buying whatever GNX parts he could get his hands on, and built the car from ground up. Great article - definitely worth reading. The guy basically built a frigging GNX clone out of a collection of parts, which looks so good that he has been yelled at for ruining what people think was a perfect authentic GNX.

Video: [ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3272813330707759731]Diesel Grand National[/ame]

Photos and story: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/174554-g-n-hotrod-project.html?highlight=hotrod+GN

http://18to1.com/images/photoalbum/20/irwindale_002.jpg

^^^^ No kidding! I always wanted to see a 4cyl "B" series Cummins turbo in the Dakota. I have seen that engine used in a stationary generator before.

Only for overseas man...

That engine didn't pass older US Emissions rules...

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Nate - the new issue of Truckin (I think - look first), has a comparison of the F250, Dodge 2500, and the Chevy 2500HD. The Ford took about 10 seconds to 60, the Dodge was low 9s, and the Chevy Duramax hit 60 in 7.8 seconds. :cool:

Also, check out the November issue of Diesel Power magazine - a few cool articles in there, especially the duramax diesel Grand National.

Archived