LegacyGT.com

New amp rack install pics

str8dwn

I thought I'd post some pics of my install in progress. Beneath the Subie hatch cover, I have a trim panel with plexi and an opening (soon to be filled with black mesh). Trim cover will be wrapped in black vinyl.

Under the trim panel, is the typical amp rack with holes to run wires underneath. It sits about 3/4" above the spare to allow wiring w/o concern of it being cut by the tire or tools under it. I am trying to find someone who will sell me a piece of the Wilsonart stainless steel laminate to line the bottom of the amp rack. I though it'd be a nice contrast to the black amps and Cleansweep.

I am trying to track down the plastic grommets I used to use at the stereo shop. HD does not carry them.

PS: A 500/1 goes on the opposite side of the 300/4. Oh Santa....won't you bring my gift early? I've been such a good boy this year!

Update: I wrapped the amp rack in silver carbon fiber and routed all the wiring with grommets (bushings). Up next is finishing the cover in black carbon fiber.

DSC00046.JPG.b4e404e1a3fe679ce4c49d73cf6d7a99.JPG

DSC00047.JPG.7e39eca28e6bd94d43c6c55ff0d636cf.JPG

DSC00048.JPG.7e4abcb6c2b1434650d7b9058a1c7ade.JPG

DSC00049.JPG.d608ca4ec14ec78268ab0d24b4bccfcd.JPG

DSC00051.JPG.707261e41a7e5479d894ccbc8b6e019b.JPG

DSC00050.JPG.63d6d56c3eff4a1c512265136c4d2b86.JPG

I have currently have both of those amps in black like you, they rock! I also am using a Clean Sweap. What Speakers? I running all focal, but a 12w6 sub. I would really like to see your final setup b/c I am currently putting mine in an amp rack. I cannot deside if I want to keep the spare tire or not. If not I am going to run runflats.

Buru,

I am using the new Quart PVF-216 6.5 components in the front doors (coax mount) with 1" of Kartboy spacers.

The amp rack is a tight fit for it all, but height wise, no need to dump the spare unless you have a big cap. It all fits nicely under the factory cover.

Anyone know where I can find the plastic grommets online?

McMaster-Carr will have them as a last resort I'd imagine.

edit: The ones at McMaster probably aren't what you are looking for. I'll keep looking around for you though.

edit: http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/ProductDetail.asp?SKU=911-1342&SEARCH=&MPN=PGSB%2D1519&DESC=PGSB%2D1519&R=911%2D1342&sid=470AC4806D4CE17F

Search allied electronics for "bushing." There are several different nylon bushings that I believe are what you are looking for. At least that is what I had in mind for what you were doing.

mevant,

Thanks so much.

I finally found them at http://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=8473virtualkey53400000virtualkey534-8473 and you don't have to order large quantities. You can order as many as you need.

A few manufacturers for others doing research: Richco and Keystone

And you are right that they are called closed nylon black bushing, not grommets.

I also found a great source for vinyl and carpet sold by the yard at only $11-12 a yard and very reasonable shipping ($9): http://www.yourautotrim.com/carpet.html

Yeah that's what threw me off at first. I was looking for nylon grommets and by chance found nylon bushings. We use allied at work so that was the easiest place i knew to look. I used to know of a few car audio sites that probably have them but I've been out of the loop for a while so I can't remember their names.

Great to hear.

Last night i desided that I am putting a nav in. My choices are between the two new alpine units (I really like alpine). one is a flip out and the other is a double din. What do you think? Either will be going in the cubby area. Please post any threads that relate.

I'm wondering about trying this in my sedan. I am curious though if this effects spare tire access or not and how you worked around that if it does. I know it was said that the spare will fit, but can you get it out? I see that as being the only major downfall of this. Otherwise, I want to do this. The place I had mine done at mounted my amps on the floor and I have no trunk space!

I am curious though if this effects spare tire access or not and how you worked around that if it does. I know it was said that the spare will fit, but can you get it out?

The short answer is no. It's not as simple as opening the factory cover, since it's not as slick as Manville's custom fabricated and welded-in metal one.

However, since all wiring will come from the front of the rack and run underneath with adequate length, it can be lifted up from the back end to gain access to the spare. And since the rack is a snug fit in the well, it will still work fine with the spare missing. All wiring will be neatly tied up underneath the rack to allow it to easy be raised and lowered as necessary. I am waiting for my wiring from cardomain, so it won;t be until Monday that I can begin wiring it up. I'll post more pics then :)

I wanna say it is 22" w x 24" deep for the upright pieces, but will check when I get back. The bottom is roughly 3/4"-1" wider in some portions of the sides to fit snugly (i made a cardboard cutout to get all the curves and corners right). I used 1/2" MDF for the upright pieces. I believe a 500/5 will fit since I was originally planning on using that.

Archived