LegacyGT.com

Perrin up-pipe fix

So first off the perrin up pipe was like a 1/4" short. First i used a coulpe gaskets to fill the gap, that blew through after a couple months. Next we cut a 1/8" thick sheet of aluminum to a duplicate of the gasket and also used a factory gasket on one side. that worked good but when we took everything off to do my clutch we found that it was melted and all distorted. Well after that we cut a sheet of steel about 3/16" to the shape of the gasket and used a factory gasket on each side. I could still get a 10 thousandth feeler gauge in there. So i was about to give up when my dad sugested that we grind of the bottom flange and re weld it on. perrin stuck the pipe through the thickness of the flange when they welded it on so there is an extra 3/8" of pipe in there through the fthickness of the flange. So i grinded off their weld, beat off the flange then put it back on. I bolted everything back up 100 percent with that flange loose on the pipe. My dad then went under the car and tack welded the flange on. Finally we pulled the up pipe out with it tack welded and my dad welded it all the way around then cleaned it up. We put it back in and couldnt get 2 thousandth feeler guage in there! It feels good to finally have that connection 100 percent sealed up after a year of ******* with it. koodos to the old man for coming through again and for some reason having 2 stainless rods laying around!

Archived