LegacyGT.com

Question for Eagle F1 GS-D3 owners

Strabismo

I'm presently running on stock RE92 and next summer I'l upgrade to better tires because those are simply dangerous.

Also, I tried them in an autox-type event and even inflated at 40+PSI, it was dangerously rolling on the sidewalls in very tight agressive turns, making the car as responsive as a 5 tons truck and extremely hard to restabilize the car. I can't imagine how disastrous it would be if that happens in an emergency situation on the road.

I've heard that the Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires had very soft sidewalls and I was wondering if this problem would still happen with these tires. People who already tried these tires in an autoX type event chime in plz.

I own them and while I don't autocross, I have used them for a number of track days this summer. On stock sways, I was rolling the front tire onto its shoulder a little too much, but not much past the wear indicator... but these were high speed turns. After I upgraded to aftermarket sways, the shoulders saw much less abuse, not to mention the huge impact they had on cornering and turn-in. The fronts obviously still get more wear than the rear. For a combination street and track tire, I am very happy with them. Relatively quiet on the highway, the don't tramline, and have taken my tack abuse without wearing out too quickly.
ignore him, he'll go away.

fweasel, you think they're quiet? I've had mine almost 20K miles, and they seem to be getting loufer, not quieter...these are definitely the loudest tire I've ever heard. Reminds me of a 4X4 on Super Swampers
Goin' to Carolina in my mind...and in my car on the 16th!

fweasel, you think they're quiet? I've had mine almost 20K miles, and they seem to be getting loufer, not quieter...these are definitely the loudest tire I've ever heard. Reminds me of a 4X4 on Super Swampers

They are no louder than the RE-92's I took off with about 17K on them. Granted, my F1's only have 3,500 miles on them, but a good 400 of that is heavy use on a road course at speed. Haven't heard of noise troubles as they wear from any of the other locals around here who also run them. But, I don't expect to get much more than 20K out of them anyways.

They are still very quiet after circa 25k miles. They last surprisingly long, and I am not easy on tires. I have probably 50% tread left. :iam: Well, about 20k of these are highway miles so that's perhaps why. But the remaining 5k, well, let's say spirited ;)

The sidewalls are noticeably soft, but 40 psi takes care of the problem for the most part.

I will go with a different tire next time, as some performance is left on the table with these tires. E.g. RE070s I used to have were much sticker, but oh-so-hard sidewalls...

Yeah, it's strange to me too that their so loud...none of the Tirerack comments on them had noise issues either. I've never had a wheel bearing go bad, but I know Subies are prone to that...maybe that's what I'm hearing and blaming the tires?

Anyway, sorry to threadjack...

Basically I'm hesitating between the F1's and the Falken Azenis. The azenis have a shorter life but the price compensates.

But I'm not too sure about the comfort, noise and hydroplaning resistance of the Azenis either. I've heard they had some quite hard sidewalls, maybe too hard.

I'm just looking for not too loud, reasonably quiet and confortable, safe and fun tires that won't roll onto it's sidewalls in an autoX event.

I run the RT615's on my Z. Its hard to make a direct comparison between the two sets of tires because the suspension set-ups and intended use of my two cars is so different. I am very happy with the ride quality of the falkens and they do very well at the track. But for a DD street car that sees track time, I would rather have the F1's for wet weather conditions and longer lifespan. The tread blocks on the falkens are just too big.

Had the same problem with the F1's......

If you are doing alot of Auto-X, track time go with the 615's. If on the other hane your track time is only once & a while...get a set of Toyo T1-R's they perform about the same in the wet as the F1's do but have a much stiffer sidewall

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

i had GS-D3's on my other car. the sidewall is softer than a S03, but

not soft like a/s tires.

they got pretty loud at around 65% worn, very loud by 50%.

they grip very well in the wet and rides well on street. just the noise

was too much after a while for me.

Update!

Went to get my 60K service (cost me $150...great to know the tech!), and I did have 2 bad bearings. One was so bad, it was making a grinding sound.

Anyway, had them replaced, and now the damn cabin is so quiet, now I'm starting to hear other sounds! I guess ignorance is bliss sometimes.

These are some very quiet tires once again...they get my vote.

i had GS-D3's on my other car. the sidewall is softer than a S03, but

not soft like a/s tires.

they got pretty loud at around 65% worn, very loud by 50%.

they grip very well in the wet and rides well on street. just the noise

was too much after a while for me.

Was it on your G35?

Because G35's have a very bad tire feathering problem, making the tires very loud.

Track use: Wouldn't use for the track when dry...the guy next to me had them on his audi and after 2 days the left front (which on this track did take a ton of abuse) was shot...the first inch or two of tread was virtually gone. More camber may have helped.

My KDWs held up quite well for all the abuse.

Track use: Wouldn't use for the track when dry...the guy next to me had them on his audi and after 2 days the left front (which on this track did take a ton of abuse) was shot...the first inch or two of tread was virtually gone. More camber may have helped.

My KDWs held up quite well for all the abuse.

Left front also takes a beating at my local track. I rotate front to back between events, but they are no where near shot. I run about -1* camber in front.

Not really a fair comparison between two completely different cars, suspension settings and geometries.

Left front also takes a beating at my local track. I rotate front to back between events, but they are no where near shot. I run about -1* camber in front.

Not really a fair comparison between two completely different cars, suspension settings and geometries.

Maybe camber played a significant part. It was a very high speed track with two massive high speed right turns with a slight bank.

Archived