LegacyGT.com

Got it.

The car, that is. Finally. The planets aligned nicely - I sold my E34 5er last night, picked up the Subaru this morning. Legacy GT Ltd Wagon 5MT (pardon me, I'm too lazy to look up the model name that would allow me to pretend I'm a connoiseur :p), Atlantic Blue Pearl w/ tan interior. No pics, y'all know what it looks like - mine looks no different. :p First, the details - this should take care of all the polls 8-): - popular equip + fork mtd bike rack + front wheel holder + cargo net + tray + x bar = $200 over invoice. I tried to get the Homelink, but couldn't bring myself to pay $200 for a glorified garage door opener, and they couldn't bring themselves to sell it to me for $100. Tough. Question about the xbar, though - I see two models - the square section cross bar and the "aerodynamic" set - the latter I only saw on Outbacks. Are they available for Legacies? They didn't stock this item (despite me ordering the car a week in advance of picking it up) and were a bit puzzled as to what would they need to order.. (The bike carrier will be shipped to me in a few days or so.) - the place of the infraction: Roy Robinson Chevy + other marques (Subaru, Itasca blah) in Marysville, WA. A bit out of the way for me, but the experience was absolutely nice. Most of the dialogue was carried by bits (and electrons); I've only spent 30 min start-to-finish at the dealership. Nice. - the car had 97 miles on it (which is fine by me) and due to my day off today, it now has close to 150. Speaking of break-in - I'm supposed to keep it under 6k rpm for 1000 miles, right? :D Kidding, I'm getting guilt hiccups when I touch 4k rpm. Second, the nit-picks: - the brakes are awful. Wooden, weak, worrisome - awful. It's *not* the tires, it's either the pads (high temp?) or the pressure (or both) but improvement is needed, soon. It doesn't feel like the adhesion limit is reached, it simply feels like the damn pedal is only connected to a wet sponge stuck underneath it. How hard can it be? Buy a 10 year old BMW, apply brakes, replicated = problem solved. - the clutch does indeed stink; not as bad as I feared (or remembered from my test drive of 2 months ago) but still - 1st and 2nd shifts are a conscious effort. It's finely weighted and I like its travel, but I could dispense with the smell. - what the h#ll is wrong with the door locks?? I opened the trunk with the dedicated button on the remote and then the locks couldn't be opened in any way, trunk opened or closed. I had to use the key - oh, the horror - I could have broken a nail.. :rolleyes: I'm out of beer and so I must stop; all in all, nice car. I love the raspy engine sound, the new car smell and oh, yes, the power :D. If you're still reading, you have my sympathy, for you are truly bored. :p Dragos

Congrats for the new Subi! If you don't mind, which 5er (Fuenfer, he he) did you have? How would you rate the power difference? I am not surprized at all about your awful brakes comment. I drive 3er and 5er BMW (all diesels with automatic) as company cars and the BMW brake feel is just the opposite of the Legacy brake feel. In the BMW you only have to think about braking - there is really a "superfast initial brake bite response". The Legacy instead needs some pedal travel. I wouldn't rate them as "awful", they only have to be used in the right manner. I also prefer that I can "modulate" them more than in the BMW. Get used to it that the Legacy needs more than a gentle touch ... I never had a problem to do a quick stop with the Legacy. Used to the Legacy brake I always have to "lighten up" my foot when I get into the BMW.

[quote name='Flo4Legacy']Congrats for the new Subi! If you don't mind, which 5er (Fuenfer, he he) did you have? How would you rate the power difference? [/QUOTE] Hi, thanks! I had 2 E34s, a 535i 5 spd and a 525iTA. The big six had a bit more of a kick, with plenty of torque at low revs. It would do 20 mpg at 120 mph for hours on end, but it was a bit of a tank in city driving. The 525 was a bit smoother but otherwise an absolute dog. (I planned on dropping in an M3 (S52) engine + 5MT, but somehow I woke up.) The Subaru is much lighter, revs a bit faster than either of the BMWs and its power delivery isn't as linear (normally) - which makes up for interesting "umm.. hoooold on!" moments :D . Well, maybe I was too harsh on the brakes - they are new, after all. I'll look into pads sometime soon. Regards, Dragos

Archived