LegacyGT.com

Hitch on LegGT Wagon

Here is a close up view of my Suby hitch on my LegGT wagon. Dealer claims attachment points are not same as Outback and that is why Suby does not offer hitch on LegGT. Dealer said hitch is fine for my bike rack use, but do not toe anything with it. img_http://premium.uploadit.org/cultofthejedi/Dsc00039.jpg/img Also notice I debadged Subaru and Legacy, leaving 2.5 GT. May take of 2.5 and just leave GT. Hope this link works. Jedimaster hosted for me. Not sure if I included the img before and img after link properly.

No, but I can do it for you. :) [img]http://premium.uploadit.org/cultofthejedi/Dsc00039.jpg[/img] PS -- I still think the dealer is full of crap when it comes to different attachment points between the Outback and Legacy... I can't see why Subaru would change something like that on cars so similar... the fewer the differences between the Leggy wagon and Outback, the lower the cost produce both.

so is it possible to get one on the legacy gt sedan as well? I have wanted one of those for bikes. I used to have one of those than hung from the trunk lid and also hooked to the bottom of the trunk, but those can be taken right off your car along with your bikes and its kind of rough on the car where the hinges hook onto your car edges.

So MtnSub, Did you install this or did the dealer? How does it affect your departure angles and/or do you get any drag when up-angled from a level road to a steep incline like a drive or parking lot access road? Was it all inclusive with the electrical, receiver and pin? What was the total cost? Did they have it in stock or did you have to order it? Did the dealer make you sign anything saying you would only use it for a bike rack or non-towing use when you bought it? Sorry for all the questions. As soon as I get mine, I'm going to pick up one and install it myself. I do find it hard to believe that the sub-frame mounts would be different between the Legacy and the OB. Just doesn't make sense. I can see having to get a different receiver to bring the hitch ball up since the receiver is designed with the OB's height in mind but other than that, the hitch should be the same between the cars. Thanks for the pic and the info. BTW - great color. I'm was going to completely debadge my liftgate, but leaving the 2.5 GT or just the GT might actually look better. I'll have to see when I start taking off the badges. BTW - how long did it take you to get your badges off the lift? SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Racerdave, thanks for link fix :redface: Regarding dealer BS about hitch install I don't see their motive. Dealer has very experienced Suby tech, they had hitches on two other OBs and the sales rep has been with Suby for ever. Maybe they gave me a simple reason for it not being right for towing on LegGT and there was some other reason. Answers to Subitonic's questions: 1.Dealer installed hitch, cost was dealer list and no added for install. 2. Hitch was the last of four hitches they had recieved and my sales rep held in her office for me to insure it would be there when my car came in. 3. Yes, the elect. plug in included and it all looks very factory install. 4. You can see in pic that it is tucked up pretty tight and dealer tech made sure it did not hang lower than exhaust or any other hard points under car. It is almost even with mufflers, but its position in center of back does slightly reduce angle of approach. 5. I did hit hitch backing down a very steep driveway that enters a street that abruptly goes upgrade. May not have happened without hitch, but I am almost glad to have hitch as protector. I am not going off road with my GT and it still has better clearance than most sport cars. 6. Debadge was so easy and very quick. Just a few seconds with hair dryer and dental floss. Glue did not require any clean-up beyond my thumb rolling it off. Several strangers have asked what kind of car it is and most think it must be an Audi (insult). Suby emblem is not known by most so without badges, we are a stealth car.

MtnSub... my admittedly cynical view is that because of the different tires, lower ground clearance... that Subaru is not advocating towing with the Legacy. I don't think there are differences in the hard points of the installation -- but would welcome correction if there are -- but simply Subaru doesn't want Legacies to tow. Thanks for the other details on the install. When I get the hitch, I plan on the factory hitch, as wiring, etc, will be cleaner... and the mouting points for the factory hitch on the Legacy will be spot-on. ;)

Archived