LegacyGT.com

Here's my Borla Header and Custom Exhaust (2.5i)

Okay, so heres a look at my setup from underneath my 2005 2.5i. It was on a lift at Meineke so I took the oppurtunity to take some pictures.

In an earlier thread about exhaust rattle, someone with a 2.5i said the Borla header would hit a steering line, causing a metal on metal vibration to occur. After all this was installed over a month ago, theres been a rattle ever since. So I figured this might be the case. After the guys at Meineke inspected my exhaust, they said a resonator and a spring kit between the nuts where the catalytic converter and exhaust met up would solve the problem. They had 4 guys overlook the exhaust and they all thought this would solve it.

When they brought me out to show me what needed to be done, I went underneath my car to where the Header was cause I never got a clean view to see if the steering cable really was hitting the header. And sure enough, it was. All four guys missed it, but luckily I knew what to look for and brought it to their attention. They repositioned the steering line so it wouldnt hit the header anymore. I told them not to put in the resinator yet, I wanted to see if repositioning the steering line alone would get rid of the rattle.

For the most part, this has solved that annoying rattle. My exhaust is still pretty damn loud, and I'll probably get a resonator in the near future to tone down the popping and crackling that comes with it.

What's installed you ask?

- The header is by Borla, and I believe its meant for an early 2000's model WRX. But as you can see, it fits on perfectly.

- The Catalytic Converter is made by Random Tech. It's basically the least restrictive Catalytic Converter you can get. It's basically all open air, so I'm pretty much catless at the moment and have no resinator.

- The muffler installed is by Flowmaster.

Here's a link to how it all sounds. This is my cell phone recording from right underneath my muffler.

http://www.mediafire.com/?84vj1pzaixz

Here's the pictures from the Header back to the Muffler

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd152/frostbite3360/Picture022.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd152/frostbite3360/Picture035.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd152/frostbite3360/Picture049.jpg

Just got my header this week and look forward to installing it

What an awesome write-up, thanks

but more questions are coming,

1. Do we need new gaskets to install the header??

2. Do you have a pic showing where the steering cable is and how could we reposition it?

Thanks

The shop that installed the Header didn't say anything about needing new gaskets. They said it fit on perfect.

As far as where the steering cable hits the Header, I circled where its at. It didn't take Meineke 10 minutes to move the cable out of the way. I'm not sure how they did it, but any shop should be able to do it.

revised.jpg.0a3852d9476d01520f1cb7d9de4dfec0.jpg

someone with a 2.5i said the Borla header would hit a steering line, causing a metal on metal vibration to occur.

You're welcome. :lol:

And, it's not a cable. It's a hard line - hydraulic. On mine, we weren't able to adjust the position of the line enough so we heated up the header and tweaked it to get the necessary clearance.

Got my borla header today and took some pics

I purchased from ebay, and the seller claimed he bought the header but never installed.

I am kind of disappointed with the first look of the header.

I was wondering if the seller is lying cuz I found the color of the header is like copper yellow instead of silver shine.

Also, the joints are welded terribly....Please see the pic

Is it normal??? or the seller just put a replica header in the original box and fooled me???

Got my borla header today and took some pics

I purchased from ebay, and the seller claimed he bought the header but never installed.

I am kind of disappointed with the first look of the header.

I was wondering if the seller is lying cuz I found the color of the header is like copper yellow instead of silver shine.

Also, the joints are welded terribly....Please see the pic

Is it normal??? or the seller just put a replica header in the original box and fooled me???

It looks just like mine did, same box and all. Did yours come with a little manual from Borla too? I'm pretty sure youre header is just fine. It isn't the prettiest finish, but it's a quality piece.

I personally would not consider those 'bad' welds, not pretty but not bad either. The welds look like they are hand done vs machine welded.

Also, what are you guys taking pictures with these days, cell phone cameras? The pictures need some better focus and less movement. My eyes go blurry looking at those pics. :spin:

It looks just like mine did, same box and all. Did yours come with a little manual from Borla too? I'm pretty sure youre header is just fine. It isn't the prettiest finish, but it's a quality piece.

Yes, it does come w/ a little manual and the warranty registration form.

Though there is alway discrepancy between imagination and reality:rolleyes:

Anyway, all I want is performance.

I will post the sound clip this weekend and hope it won't be too loud.

My setup:

Injen CAI + Perrin pulley + Borla header =?????

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky me got both Injen CAI and Borla header for as-is price from other members.

If I remembered right, the part # for header is 17183, for Injen is RD-1222.

Do a search in this na section and you will know where to find the best deal.

BTW, haven't got time to post a sound clip.

However, since I only swap out the header, the sound level didn't really change.

If performance is the first priority, which upgrades will you guys go for? Cam? or P6???:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
I have 2 O2 sensors on my header! Are the holes where the sensors screw into in the same place???? The header that you used is for an impreza 2.5rs so it is different....on mine the header mates to the exhaust on the pass side where as on yours it looks like it comes off of the drivers side which is why you used the Random Tech cat convert. but after that point the stock exhaust should bolt right up right?????? I would really like to do the headers on mine but i want to make sure that everything is covered first. Also, i was told that my 06 legacy is from CA so it might be a PZEV car but i dont see anymore o2 sensors on it other than the ones on the headers eventhough i am sure that there are 3 but the 3rd is hiding, but if i do in fact have a PZEV car shouldnt there be like 5 o2 sensors (i read that somewhere)?

i called SOA and found out that my car ISNT a PZEV and is not from CA. So how would the header thing work?.....

Pretty much just get the borla header and the Random technology cat that goes right after the header and then the rest of the exhaust should bolt right up right???? Do the 2 o2 sensors on the headers bolt right up or would i have to extend the wires??????

Archived