LegacyGT.com

The Twisties

[quote name='apexjapan']That tall looking shifter is ideally setup for sporty driving. When you want to downshift right before the corner, it is quick to hand and easy to slot into gear. Cheers, Paul Hansen[/quote]

[quote name='apexjapan']The shifter has changed my opinion towards short shift kits. My previous legacies had had them, but in this case, I think I want to keep it just as it is. When I did want to downshift, it came to hand very quickly and intuitively. I never had to reach for throws, and it slotted in to the correct gears without fail. It is an evolution of the previous transmissions, in that it is not overly precise. I still feel it is more comfortable and easy to use than the STi 6-speed transmission. To be honest, the HID's on my car were not amazing. I did not notice a big difference between them and the previous RSK, and in fact, they felt to have a shorter cut-off distance, even when adjusted up to the point other motorists wanted to throw bricks at me. Hi-beams were non-HID, so no real difference there between HID/non-HID. The foglamps are spectacular, bright and with a good cut-off. There is an option for them that I have not worked out, possibly for use when it is actually foggy? ;) Cheers, Paul Hansen[/quote] Just a couple more things to note... :lol: Paul, does your car have the aluminum pedals, and have you driven one with and with them? I've had my WRX (with aluminum pedals) for so long, I've forgotten what it feels like to drive a car without them. I'm of the opinion that it makes no difference other than visual bling, if memory serves me correctly from last year in France, flogging a Mondeo wagon around the southwest. Kevin

Kevin's still trying to beat his point in. :roll: We'll just have to wait and find out how they work for each and every one of us. Personally Kevin, I'd rather have those aluminum pedals, not for bling, but because the rubber boot came off on my clutch pedal so quick after getting my car and it's just a pain in the butt with those. Make it one whole piece.

[quote name='SUBE555']Kevin's still trying to beat his point in. :roll: We'll just have to wait and find out how they work for each and every one of us. Personally Kevin, I'd rather have those aluminum pedals, not for bling, but because the rubber boot came off on my clutch pedal so quick after getting my car and it's just a pain in the butt with those. Make it one whole piece.[/quote] Hey, Paul's doing it for me! I don't have to do anything except point things out! :lol: Seriously, gang. To each their own. I love the STi shorty with Kartboy bushings in my WRX. But I also liked the shift setup in my '98 GT a lot, and I didn't do anything to that one. Yet to my knowledge, that car uses the same Subaru corporate shifter. So I dunno. :lol: Kevin

Great write-up as always Paul. As for the shifter issue, if I were buying the car used and I didn't have the option, I'd probably skip it. But as this is my first ever new car and I can have it any way I like, I'll go with the short shifter. I liked the way the short shifter felt in the WRX I test drove, and I'm sure it won't be any worse on the GT. I certainly don't have any illusions about what it can and can't do, so I feel good about the decision.

[quote name='gtguy']Paul, does your car have the aluminum pedals, and have you driven one with and with them? I've had my WRX (with aluminum pedals) for so long, I've forgotten what it feels like to drive a car without them. [/quote] No metal pedal coverings - that is for the Spec B only. I have driven both, of course, back at the first press drive, and then with the loaner I got from the dealer. I have not tried with the racing shoes yet, but as for my other driving shoes, there was nothing particularly different about either setup. I believe they put in little rubber buttons for traction, so literally the feel is about the same - as you mentioned, it is mainly bling. But hey, bling can go a long ways for some people, I know I am already thinking of wider/lighter wheels to put some 225 rubber on... ;) Cheers, Paul Hansen

Paul, quick question. There are quite a few examples of the 2.0T 5AT sedan already on the roads here in Australia. I have yet to see any cars with a rear deck spoiler either the gen Subaru one or a GT style racing wing. Is it the same where u are ?

Paul is away so I'll chime in. There are not many putting the rear wing on sedans here. It actually messes the lines up a bit IMHO, and most people seem to agree. Paul has a little trip strip on the back of his car that is quite smart looking (from the Sube parts catalog), but may not do a whole heck of a lot :wink: Eitherway his car is serving him well as you can tell. He is off on a road trip with his family at the moment:) Cheers:)

PS: I have the metal pads on my car, not the STi ones, the OEM type. I prefer them for their slip when in racing boots/driving shoes since i rarely drive in leather soled shoes. They should also wear better than the rubber ones (which i killed with all the heel and toe practice i do :lol: Cheers:-)

Archived