LegacyGT.com

NY Finance

BigT

Hey Guys,

I just graduated from CW Post with my MBA with a concentration in Finance. The good news is I don't have any loans because school was free the bad news is that the school has terrible networking. So, I'm hunting for a job. If anybody knows someone I could send my resume to, or if anyone is someone I could send my resume to I'd really appreciate it. I'm just looking for a chance somewhere. I graduated with honors and I'm looking for anything in the finance field. Ideally I'd love an analyst position.

Thanks for your time,

Tom

I'm in Corporate Finance/ Quasi Investment Bank. Do you have any work experience ie: Internship at a Financial Institution?

Your first step is to goto the traditional job sites such as CareerBuilder.com, hotjobs.com etc.. This would provide you a decent estimate of your job prospects as well as salary expectations. Another piece of advice is if at all possible, take an offer from a larger, more prestigous institution. The name really helps when you pursue your 2nd, 3rd jobs. GL

No experience in the Finance world.

I was a math major in college and I've worked as a tutor for about 6 or 7 years. I also worked at a school, where I had some financial responsabilities, but never with any real financial instruments. If you know of anything, please let me know. I'm open to an internship, if it gets me in the door.

Thanks for your advice!

Considering you were a math major (BS degree?), you may want to pursue a path in the quantitative analysis area, which usually involve the pricing/risk analysis of derivatives. These positions are usually w/investment banks who require advanced math degrees, so I'm not sure how likely it is for you to get into. However, this is a GREAT FIELD w/high demand and great benefits.

Also, if you're adamant about getting into a particular field (credit analysis), don't settle for a position on something else unless you have no other option. Because starting off on the wrong position will only make it more difficult for you to get back into a particular field due to irrelevant work experience. Otherwise you'll re-commence at the bottom of the food chain.

Archived