LegacyGT.com

JDM sway bar on OBXT

Diggs753

I searched and couldn't find any good info on the JDM sway bar listed on the Ralli-

Tek site.Has anyone used them?Any fitment issues on the OBXT's?The JDM is a s olid 20mm bar and the Ralli-Tek is a solid 19mm bar.Anyone have any info, prefferences or horror stories of ones to stay away from totally.

Thanks guys

andrew

There won't be any issues with the OEM JDM bar, as that's the exact design as used for the USDM models, simply larger/stiffer. Subaru of America specced a smaller bar for the US market because they don't trust drivers as much here. Smaller bar = more understeer, and it's harder to blame a manufacturer if you go into a guardrail nose first instead of rear-end first.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

Not totally sold on the Cobb bar since I keep hearing so much about breakage of either the end link or the bracket.I really worry about ride quality alot.Since this car is new,cost30k and has to be my daily driver it will never go off-road.I have 50-mile commute everyday and a 7 month pregant wife, so ride comfort is paramount.This car already has a very noticable problem with "bump-steer" on expansion joints.Anyone seen this resolved with the addtion of a new sway-bar?Or is this related to the "Im-Potenza's",which are still wearing very well despite all other short-comings.Open to any suggestions on a complete kit in the 300-400 dollar range. Oh and the 08 WRX on the AVO site Paul is Mother F ing sweet.I didn't like the new Saabaru WRX...err.., much at first but now I see it's potential.Sharp looking car,looks like Darth Vader's ride.

thanks again

I have the megan outback coilovers like sebberry and lowerd my car about 1.5 inches.

i already had the jdm 20mm sway bar on my car and with the megans I think it handles GREAT!!!

The 20mm rear matches the factory front and makes the car really balanced, especially with the megan coils.

...The JDM is a s olid 20mm bar and the Ralli-Tek is a solid 19mm bar....

andrew

FWIW, the rear JDM bar is 20mm HOLLOW, not solid.

About equivalent to an 18mm solid, if my calculations are right.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

Well,I tried to order the JDM RSB from RalliTek.A week later no confirmation#.Called 3 times but no return call.Then finally a confirmation email which said it will ship in 1 to 2 weeks,on top of the week already lost.Cancelled the order and found the lowest price on Perrin 22 mm front and rear sways on The King of Parts site.Good service on the phone and said I should have them in 2-3 days.Maybe the red will look good with the Diamond Gray metallic paint.

Thanks yall

Yeah, I'm still waiting on my JDM bar from RalliTek too. I'm not in any hurry so I will keep my order. I'm planning going to a set of coilovers eventually so I decided I didn't need larger bars than the JDM. I also didn't want to invest in end-links and rear supports that stiffer bars would need.

Yeah, I'm still waiting on my JDM bar from RalliTek too. I'm not in any hurry so I will keep my order. I'm planning going to a set of coilovers eventually so I decided I didn't need larger bars than the JDM. I also didn't want to invest in end-links and rear supports that stiffer bars would need.

I would say this is a smart move. I have the JDM rear swaybar, with the megan outback coilovers and I CANNOT BELIEVE how well it handles. For a street car that is really all you need.

I didn't think I needed the reinforcement brackets either...untill I saw the OEM's,looks like it was made from a scrap lunchbox.But when you buy the Perrins,from what I can tell,you get the brackets.You might get them with the Cobb's too.I wanted to get a matched set for the car...symmetry ya know.Plus I wanted to future-proof myself in that department.I really can't do anything untill I replace the tires and the AP is released.The Perrin red might look sharp showing a little to contrast the Diamond Grey metallic paint.

Thanks guys

I didn't think I needed the reinforcement brackets either...untill I saw the OEM's,looks like it was made from a scrap lunchbox.But when you buy the Perrins,from what I can tell,you get the brackets.You might get them with the Cobb's too.I wanted to get a matched set for the car...symmetry ya know.Plus I wanted to future-proof myself in that department.I really can't do anything untill I replace the tires and the AP is released.The Perrin red might look sharp showing a little to contrast the Diamond Grey metallic paint.

Thanks guys

Here is my logic in going with the rear JDM bar only. I have seen the OEM rear supports and I know it's weak. The way I figure it, they use the JDM bars with the same supports in Japan from the factory, so that's good enough for me. All the aftermarket front/rear bars will set you back about $300-400+. Add another $200 for the front and rear end links and maybe $80 for the AVO support. You are looking at $500-$700+ for the whole setup. JDM rear bar is only $100. I would rather save the difference toward getting a set of Megan coilovers for ~$1000.

Here is my logic in going with the rear JDM bar only. I have seen the OEM rear supports and I know it's weak. The way I figure it, they use the JDM bars with the same supports in Japan from the factory, so that's good enough for me. All the aftermarket front/rear bars will set you back about $300-400+. Add another $200 for the front and rear end links and maybe $80 for the AVO support. You are looking at $500-$700+ for the whole setup. JDM rear bar is only $100. I would rather save the difference toward getting a set of Megan coilovers for ~$1000.

I couldnt agree with you more. I went with the JDM and then put the megan coilovers on.

As far as the other posters comments on balance, if you put the JDM rear bar on, it balances the system very well because this is the bar that really "matches" the existing front sway bar.

The car feels really well balanced with the USDM front bar (which is the same as the JDM front bar) and the JDM rear bar.

When I went to the autospeed exhaust it came with relocation brackets for the mounting area and they are perfect for reinforcing this area even though like you said it is probably not needed since the JDM uses the same mounting points.

Where are you finding the JDM RSB for only $100? I found it at Rallitek for $160.

OOOps, nevermind. Looks like they've got them on sale for $99.99! Sweet!

Cheers!

-Ian

Yup, that's where I ordered from. Still waiting for it to ship though.

Um...I think this place conspires to give me angina.I was perfectly content on have bought the Perrins but I seem to all get an ..ahem from some folks.

Then I read the "Least favorite mods sticky"and alot of Perrin bashing.I'm affraid to ask if I just wasted money on the bars,and if they are complete crap.Or this place just has alot of peculiar parts snobs.That prefer one 20mm piece of metal over another 20mm piece of metal.

I'm about to give up and by a Prius that way I'll never have to worry about performance inhancement again.

What's the "collar and spacer"mod????????

Oh I see.Yeah I saw a thread on that prob just now on OB.com.

The Perrin bar has two flanges mounted on the ends near where I would think the bushings and brackets mount.Anyone know if this will eliminate the need for the locking collars?

Archived