LegacyGT.com

Car and Driver 10 Best

My wife has a TSX and it's a pretty nice car -- I can see how C&D would like it. It's only got 200HP and about 170 ft-lb torque, which is enough to have fun but not enough to induce noticable torque steer. The handling is spectacular and it's executed like a true Acura (previous post is correct, its based on the European/Japanese Accord which is smaller and stiffer than the US Accord). The TSX is not in the same league as the LGT for power, handling, or smoothness in my opinion, but it's still a nice sport sedan. We got my wife's TSX for $25K and it's a bargain considering the equipment you get. I think "value" is probably what ranks it high on C&D's scale, and this is one area where the LGT may be perceived poorly. A lot of the TSX's standard equipment is not even available on the LGT. Craig

RX-8...please. Oil burning, gas guzzling, torqueless, slow car for the money. How could they call it "best" in it's category. Sure it looks good from most angles, and handles great. But come on, a car that drinks a quart of oil every 1000 miles and gets 15-18 mpg and takes 14.5 seconds to get through the 1/4 mile and that's with 7000+ rpm launches??? The 350Z spanks it in performance...it's only downfall is a less attractive and not quite as nice interior. The Accord, no question a great car. But boring. I'm sure it's hybrid helped it snag the win again. They're all good cars though. These days, picking "winners" in most categories REALLY comes down to subjective taste.

Lets face it guys, obviously the Great island of Japan has higher priorities when it comes to cars. Just look at the excellent examples that have been produced by them. Skylines, Silvias, STi, Evo, 3000GT, Z cars, even the Toyota AE86, NSX, the list could go on and on. We Americans have a totally different outlook on vehicles: displacment, rearwheel drive cars that only go well in a straight line. But how many of us drive in a straight line all the time? I would much rather have a car that drives every aspect better than in a straight line. I mean come on, Motortrend voted the Prius car of the year last year. Enough said!:lol: Nick

Oh, and this year it was the 300c? It was up between the 300c, the Mustang, and the Corvette, even though they had such cars as the new Porsche 911, LGT, Lotus Elise, even the Mazda3. 300c is nothing but an american car with the American beloved "HEMI" motor. drives like poo. Some would even say it looks like it too. Nick

[quote name='Nick360']Lets face it guys, obviously the Great island of Japan has higher priorities when it comes to cars. Just look at the excellent examples that have been produced by them. Skylines, Silvias, STi, Evo, 3000GT, Z cars, even the Toyota AE86, NSX, the list could go on and on. [/QUOTE] I will agree with you that there are very good Japanese cars out there. But how many lessons on styling, engine building, turbocharging, handling, and build quality did the Japanese originally learn from the europeans. I could sit down and list two or three european models for every one japanese, if we are taking history into account. Just Look at the Toyota 2000GT. It was designed by a Brit (a noble type, lord or sir something... right on the tip of my brain, but I can't quite remember the name) who had a hand at Jaguar. The Nissan 240Z was a re-interpretation of the long hood, short deck Jag e-type and ferrari front engined sports cars, just built to an affordable price point, which made it famous. Don't get me wrong, I am not marginalizing Japan's contributions, just saying they "went to school" in Europe. [QUOTE] We Americans have a totally different outlook on vehicles: displacment, rearwheel drive cars that only go well in a straight line. But how many of us drive in a straight line all the time? I would much rather have a car that drives every aspect better than in a straight line. I mean come on, Motortrend voted the Prius car of the year last year. Enough said!:lol: Nick[/QUOTE] Be careful now, when you say "We Americans." I am an American, and proud to be, as you likely are too, but that isn't my point. Not all red-blooded American car freaks are muscle car fans. I for one, am not. I like them to a certain extent to know something about them, but given the cash, I would choose an honest sports car EVERY time, and usually a european one. That is why I want a Legacy GT or STi for my next car, not a Dodg-y Magnum, Charger, or 300C. I am not even really considering the New Mustang, even though I was a complete mustang FREAK in high school. They are cool, but my tastes have evolved. For the 25-30k on an impractical car, rather than an '05 Mustang GT, I'd buy a 15-18k 968 or 944 Turbo, or a FD3S RX7, and mod the heck out of it with the other 10-12k, and have ~150 more horsepower, better handling, WAY less weight, and better build quality. As for MT, R&T, C&D, etc. They are all trying to seem more mainstream than just a car freak rag. That is why they vote on the Prius and 300c, Audi this and BMW that. They want to sell magazines to people who buy cars, and who have just bought cars, so their coverage tends to echo buying trends. Most people don't want to be told that the Audi A4 Quattro they just bought would get owned by a Subaru for a third less cash. There are more A4 buyers to upset than there are Legacy GT buyers to make angry. The Audi buyers only want to see glowing reviews, and feel good about dropping that cash. Same for Acura TL and TSX buyers. There are way more of them to piss off, which is exactly what they don't want. Subaru buyers for the most part get good press on the WRX and STi because they are good sellers in a small market. The Legacy isn't going to get glowing reviews, just because it is a sales underdog. The Outback is a standard in their market, but they still don't get as much coverage as the new Ford Freestyle, because loads of people are buying or will be buying them, because they are Ford. It really is a matter of marketing, rather than honest product review. Now, one sure way to get the attention of the Automotive press, domestic and around the world, would be to offer a real cracker of a Legacy STi. A 375hp Twin Turbo H6, 6MT, AWD, badass sport sedan for well under 40k. That would not be able to be ignored, it would give $50k+ BMW M3s and Audi S4s a good kick in the pants, from the cheap seats, just like the WRX STi and Evo have been. That would leave blood in the water, so to speak, and that kinda thing sells magazines, regardless of units sold. That is why I usually read Octane, and Car, from England. they are more dedicated car freak mags, which suits me fine, and deals more with the joy of talking about awesome cars, none of which I can afford, even if they are offered in the US.

Archived