LegacyGT.com

Whats next?

BigT

Hey guys,

Sort of new to the Audio scene. I recently purchased a JL Cleansweep and Amp for my car. I've got a Pioneer avic N3 and I'd like to get some kind of system going in it. The stock system just isn't strong enough for windows down highway driving. I think that all I'll need is a sub and a fiberglass box for the trunk. Do I need new speakers as well? I know that this all depends on what your going for, but just some general ideas. I'm looking for just a stonger sound system, but something within reason. I don't want to go deaf or have a car that vibrates. Thanks in advance

You know how marijuana is a gateway drug? Yeah, well, car audio is a gateway too, so be careful.

If all you're looking for is low-end, then yes, a subwoofer would be fine. The JL Stealthbox (or the OEM underseat sub) is a good option for this.

You would benefit, however, from upgrading your interior speakers as well. Improved sound quality and power-handling capabilities. If you wanted to stay within a budget you could just do 6.5 components in the front and rear - will sound better than the stock tweeter combo. And if your budget allows, it is definitely recommended to amplify the interior speakers as well. That will allow more than enough power (but not necessarily door-rattling) for window-down driving.

Ok, so after going to a meet on Tuesday I have some more understanding.

I think that I can use the A4300 (4 channel amp) in conjunction with the Clean sweep to upgrade my speakers. If I wanted to go with a subwoofer I'll probably need another amp (single channel) for it or I could go with a dual channel amp for the two sub combination. Does any of this sound legitimate, or am I just pulling $hit out of the air?

no, you're right on so far. 4 channel amp will take care of your door speakers. A cleansweep/3sixty/RE-Q will take care of re-equalizing the signal from the stock head unit which in turn improves sound quality. You would do best to have a 1- or 2-channel amp (depending on the number of subs you intend to have) to power a sub separately. I'm running a single 10-in sub and it's plenty loud. If you're just looking for a little kick, you can always consider the Subaru powered sub...fits under the driver's seat I believe. Not for me, but some people here love them.

Whoops. I just reread your initial post...You don't need the cleansweep since you bought the N1. Because the N1 operates as your head/source unit the cleansweep is redundant. The cleansweep is to be utilized when you're leaving the factory stereo as your source unit. Here's something that I just pulled from JL's site...

With CleanSweep® you retain your car’s interior cosmetics and the full functionality of factory-installed vehicle functions, including navigation, OnStar®, steering wheel controls, climate controls, etc. You can also use CleanSweep's master volume knob/source selector switch instead of the factory volume control.

Sorry for the bad news, but I guess that can help increase your subwoofer budget once you turn it over. :icon_lol:

Whoops. I just reread your initial post...You don't need the cleansweep since you bought the N1. Because the N1 operates as your head/source unit the cleansweep is redundant. The cleansweep is to be utilized when you're leaving the factory stereo as your source unit. Here's something that I just pulled from JL's site...

With CleanSweep® you retain your car’s interior cosmetics and the full functionality of factory-installed vehicle functions, including navigation, OnStar®, steering wheel controls, climate controls, etc. You can also use CleanSweep's master volume knob/source selector switch instead of the factory volume control.

Sorry for the bad news, but I guess that can help increase your subwoofer budget once you turn it over. :icon_lol:

True! Thanks a lot. So I don't need a cleansweep? Can't it do the same thing in terms of equalizing the levels for the N3 that it would do for the stock unit? I also think that the single sub would be quite good. Plus I already have the OEM sub.... apparently it's not that good :lol: I guess I can keep it and get an aftermarket in the trunk. Plus I like that is makes my ass shake when the bass kicks in :p

I'll try explaining it like this:

Everyone's stock stereo sucks. The speakers are made with cheap paper cones and can't handle significant wattage. The factory headunit doesn't output a lot of wattage, so this isn't usually a problem. Even when you turn the volume up to say, 15 or so, the eq circuitry on the stock unit is designed to roll off bass to avoid damaging their junk speakers. This isn't just Subaru, it's every car maker. Saves $$$.

In the "olden days" - say, 5 years ago, haha - most people would buy new speakers and a new head unit and that would be that. I slapped a nice Alpine in my OB Sport and was happy. Most older cars have easily-replaceable 1-din or 2-din units. But once car manufacturers started making more complex (and asthetically pleasing) integrated stereo/climate control boards it became impossible to simply pull the old unit out and slap a new one in its place. This is why the cleansweep was invented - it allows you to re-equalize the factory head unit signal in order to use it with better speakers/amps, etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that when you installed the N1 you eliminated the stock radio/cd player. If this is the case, then you have a new unit that pushes more power to the speakers and has full equalization capabilities. Aftermarket units also do not have the "roll off" design or the compensating equalizer. This is why the cleansweep is redundant. Does that make sense?

So now you're probably thinking, "If the N1 puts out more power, then why do I need an amp?" Yes, the N1 has more power going out then the original unit (50Wx4), but the original unit puts out minimal wattage. When you change your speakers you are improving materials, quality, response, and power-handling capabilities. As a trade-off though, these speakers do prefer having more power running into them. Now, the 50 watts to each channel may be enough for you; that's up for you to decide. But if you already have the A4300 for it, then go ahead and use it. It's a great amp.

Archived