LegacyGT.com

Nokian delaers in Greater Boston, NH

Garandman

Gotten several PM's asking about Nokian WR's and where to buy them. We have an office in Manchvegas so we've bought them at

John & Sons Tire Service

(603) 627-1585541 Amory St

Manchester, NH 03102

But I figured I'd start a thread so folks could post what they paid or got quoted for LGT and OB tires.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Duffy Tire

252 Bridge Street

Northhampton, Massachusetts 01060

Phone: 413-584-9244

Was also mentioned as having great prices, although both Northhampton and Manchester NH are a bit of a drive for me. The place in Clinton MA (Clinton Tyre, 978.365.2794) and "Maynard and Lesieur" in Nashua New Hampshire were also mentioned as having Nokian Tyres at reasonable prices.

If you are lazy and prefere local service (and don't mind paying a premium for it) Direct Tyre (In Newton, Natick, and Norwood) also carries these. Ron's Tyre in Framinham MA often times will have them too.

What the hell is wrong with the LM-25's??? Why the Nokian bias??? I got a set of the LM-25's mounted on alloy's from Tirerack for $1k. How can you beat that? Great tire at a great price.

Personally I think the LM-25>>>Nokian WR's in the dry in <40F based on my experience with my WRX and driving a friend's WRX with LM-25's. I have a feeling though with no hard data that the Nokian WR's will last much longer. I got 40-50k out of a set in my previous Civic's run year round.

Anyone want to go down to Maynard & Lesieur, Inc. - Wholesale Tires, Inc. with me and get a set of tires? Maybe we can get a deal. I'm looking to get 205/50R17 V rated.

https://www.tiresbyweb.com has them at $722.76 with free shipping. That includes Road Hazard and Chrome Sleeve Valve Stems.

I'm sure Maynard & Lesieur can beat that mounted and balanced.

What the hell is wrong with the LM-25's???

Why the Nokian bias???

I got a set of the LM-25's mounted on alloy's from Tirerack for $1k. How can you beat that? Great tire at a great price.

Bridgestone Blizzaks are great tyres for use on ice, as well as snow. They do, however offer a rather limited service life. After ~ 15,000 miles the soft outer tyre rubber compound wears off, leaving you with a less phenomenal tyre. So if you do serious amounts of driving you are perhaps best off getting a new set of blizzaks either every year or every other year.

Nokian tyres are famous for offering a very long service life, that Bridgestones dont come close to offering.

I would continue to utilize the "Tirerack" if they sold Nokian tyres.

Bridgestone Blizzaks are great tyres for use on ice, as well as snow. They do, however offer a rather limited service life. After ~ 15,000 miles the soft outer tyre rubber compound wears off, leaving you with a less phenomenal tyre. So if you do serious amounts of driving you are perhaps best off getting a new set of blizzaks either every year or every other year.

Nokian tyres are famous for offering a very long service life, that Bridgestones dont come close to offering.

I would continue to utilize the "Tirerack" if they sold Nokian tyres.

The statements you make are very true of the Blizzack WS-50's and possibly WS-60's. However those are pure winter tires and use a very soft compound to achieve incredible winter traction. They also offer very poor dry performance in the winter and I found absymal wet performance with WS-50's on a Civic.

The LM-25's use a completely different tread compound to achieve optimal dry/wet traction in cold temps and also have great winter traction. Completely different tires as LM-25's are marketed as performance winters.

The LM-25's use a completely different tread compound to achieve optimal dry/wet traction in cold temps and also have great winter traction. Completely different tires as LM-25's are marketed as performance winters.
Sorry. I did not know that. Does this mean you would recomend the LM-25 over a Nokian tyre ?

The Blizzak you reference and other dedicated winter tires like the Nokian RSI have no UTQG treadwear rating.

The Nokian WR has a 400 treadwear rating, 50,000 mile treadwear warranty, and the severe snow service (Mountain/Snowflake icon) rating. It is thus the only passenger All Season to combine a treadwear warranty and the SSS rating.

I have both the Nokian RSI and WR for my OBW. We also have Michelin X-Ice on a Quest minivan, RSI's on an Accord V6, and my sister-in-law has Blizzak WS50's on her Outback. The WR's are much better in rain than the dedicated snows. They are not quite as good in snow and ice, but stop and handle well. So, if you drive in places like New England that get snow, ice, and rain - sometimes on the same trip - and you only want one set of tires, it's ideal.

So many people PM'd me or asked me in other threads about where to buy them that I started this thread to provide dealer experiences and pricing information on this popular tire. If you want to compare the WR with other tires, would you please start your own thread? Thank you.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

My LM-25's have about 5k on them from last season and look almost new. Tread wear is almost nothing. They work well in both snow and on the dry. Now, the WS-50's, basically their first generation sponge tire, are a whole other story. I had a set on a Ford Probe GT in the 90's and in the snow, they were awesome! On the dry, they were deadly! HUGE rubbery square tread blocks that did wear quickly.

Here they are:

CIMG1025.thumb.JPG.f697e3ec8ead4a4892f55cb951469d9d.JPG

CIMG1026.thumb.JPG.a2ae6a21881a675b7616953f4ac9e136.JPG

CIMG1027.thumb.JPG.a8d36e1dd65819f724f42e4ecca35fee.JPG

I will add another quote albeit one year old to the mix. Davies Tire in Portsmouth, NH quoted me at $190/tire installed for stock LGT size. They give incredible service and will even give you credit if your Nokian WR's don't make it the rated 50k miles in my past experience.

Besides the great service a huge thing over any other tire place is their location which is about a block from downtown Portsmouth which gives so many things to do, eat or see while tires are getting installed.

Some more quotes... $172/tire installed from Maynard & Lesieur and $250/tire installed from Direct Tire.

I highly recommend Maynard & Lesieur... I bought my original tires from them and had a flat that was already repaired once somewhere else. When I went up to replace that tire, they said the old patch was failing and repaired it for free instead of trying to sell me a replacement.

The Blizzak you reference and other dedicated winter tires like the Nokian RSI have no UTQG treadwear rating.

The Nokian WR has a 400 treadwear rating, 50,000 mile treadwear warranty, and the severe snow service (Mountain/Snowflake icon) rating. It is thus the only passenger All Season to combine a treadwear warranty and the SSS rating.

I have both the Nokian RSI and WR for my OBW. We also have Michelin X-Ice on a Quest minivan, RSI's on an Accord V6, and my sister-in-law has Blizzak WS50's on her Outback. The WR's are much better in rain than the dedicated snows. They are not quite as good in snow and ice, but stop and handle well. So, if you drive in places like New England that get snow, ice, and rain - sometimes on the same trip - and you only want one set of tires, it's ideal.

So many people PM'd me or asked me in other threads about where to buy them that I started this thread to provide dealer experiences and pricing information on this popular tire. If you want to compare the WR with other tires, would you please start your own thread? Thank you.

So how are RSI vs. WR overall? I have WRs as my winter tires (have dedicated summers as well) and they handle surprisingly great in both dry and wet. Drove in snow only twice and they seemed great, but I have no previous experience with winter tires and/or AWD in snow. I hoped it would be little bit more surefooted, though.

I was thinking about buying a set of dedicated snows (like RSI) for wife's Legacy. Perhaps I should get another set of WRs? We are now in Boston area and expect some occasional trips in NH/VT mountains in winter.

Archived